Status: Active

Forgive Me

Chapter 3

I had nothing to do with it Katerina.

I rolled over, my bed moaned in protest at the shift of my weight; it was as if I had woken it from its constant slumber. Even though my eyes were heavy rest wasn’t an option. Hunter’s words had been keeping me from slipping into the comfortable embrace of Sleep.

His whispered words resounded in my mind, filling my ears, the dramatic change in his normal cocky tone was what was keeping me awake, keeping me guessing as I tried to figure out what he felt when he uttered them.

Was it remorse?

Perhaps it was sadness?

Groaning I buried my head into the calming material of my pillow and squeezed my eyes closed how could someone I have loathed for so long be the cause of my deprivation of sleep? Behind my closed eyes I could see the way his face would twist and change as he whispered, a scared sound, thinking that I wouldn’t hear it.

The cruelty of the wind is indescribable.

The way it teases, and causes trouble.

I kicked back my blankets and sat up on my small, cramped bed. Springs groaned under my weight. I looked up at the bunk above me and prayed that I hadn’t woken Gabriel. I turned my head and looked over at the small taunting alarm clock on the bedside table.

4:30

It’s red numbers burned, as if acid was being poured into my sensitive eyes.

Mustering the miniscule of strength in my body I pushed myself off of the daggy mattress and staggered over to my dresser. I grabbed the frozen knobs and prayed that the draws didn’t stick. Slowly I eased them open, every now and again my eyes would flick to the side. After several painful moments I had removed a pair of jeans, a plaid shirt and clean underwear. I padded toward the bathroom, shed my pyjamas, like a snake sheds its skin.

Dressed, I walked toward the front door, slipping my Vans on I snuck out into the flickering light of the corridor pulling the wooden plank closed quietly behind me.

Turning I stood in the corridor.

It was empty.

Quiet.

Sleepily smiling I began to tip-toe through the wavering light.

Toward the exit.

Towards freedom.

No!

Sable hands snatched at the material of my shirt pulling me into a shadowy crevice hiding me from sight, titters escaped their shapeless lips making me feel at home.

Hesitantly.

Slowly, I poked my head around the wall and saw him. He was exiting her room. I took in his attire.

Crisp white school shirt crinkled, missing buttons and askew on his shoulders, black tie draped around his neck like a dead snake. He fumbled with the few buttons on the bottom of his shirt trying to hide his naked chest. However in his hasty movements I caught sight of his perfectly chiselled abdominal and a quote staining the tanned skin just under his prominent collarbone.

Heat rushed to my cheeks and I turned my head away slightly listening as he hurried past me, bare feet slapping on the cold tiled passageway.

Once I heard the echo of the door close I crept out of the shadows and began to walk following his footsteps toward the exit but not before thanking my friends silently.

Reaching out one of my hands I pushed the cold door open and walked into the bitter morning. The air pricked at the tender flesh of my cheeks causing my eyes to swim with tears. I hugged my shirt closer to my frame and began to walk around the campus.

In the dim light the aged stone buildings had an eerie feeling about them. As I walked around I imagined all the creatures that could be lurking in the darkness of the classroom.

Teachers.

Vampires!

Human by day.

Creature by night.

When the sun is out they roam the halls the sun burning their sensitive skin, none of this is seen by us because they wield a power that hazes our vision, blurring the truth with fiction.

At night they stand in their classrooms, eyes red, fangs elongated.

Watching.

Waiting.

Striking an innocent student as they hurry across the courtyard to their safe haven, rapidly they spring into action, leaping from their windows landing beside said target, they don’t have time to protect themselves before fangs pierce their tender flesh and screams of agony leave their dying body.to my relief I didn’t find anything. Turning a corner I am greeted by the darkness that stands underneath the school tunnel.

Quietly I walked through it.

Once out the other side I turned my head and watched as the first few rays of light broke through the night sky.

Time to head back, strap on my armour for another day of torture.

*~*~*

Slowly I walked to my locker, Sleep held my hand as we staggered together down the corridor. I heard him yawn, try as I might I wasn’t able to supress the sensation. A yawn left my lips as I stepped in front of my dark blue locker. Clumsily my fingers slipped over the spines of my text books, and grappled at the plastic of my school books. I had grabbed my math books when I was shoved into my locker and the clasp I had on Sleep vanished. Tinkling laughter and bitter murmurs resounded behind me. Turning my head my eyes drooping low, my body tired, so tired that I found it too hard to even come up with a witty comment. Instead I just stood there watching as the three of the six ‘Angels’ danced down the hallway tittering between each other.

I shook my head, shaking the anger that was starting to bubble inside out of me, pushed my locker shut, weakly, and went to walk off my but I was knocked back by a broad chest. Lifting my eyes I looked at who had caged me in. My heart began to beat erratically, my muscles tensed, and thoughts that screamed BLOODY MURDER! began to race through my mind. The feeling of drowsiness was replaced with the last little bit of adrenalin I had pocketed inside me.

“Hi,” he spoke his voice was no higher than a whisper, as if he didn’t want to be heard, I looked at him and quirked one of my brows, I could feel my lip curling in disgust.

What was he doing at my locker?

What did he want?


My thoughts snarled at me.

“Talking to me now are we?” I snapped, I knew I shouldn’t have but I couldn’t help it, he made me so angry, the way he was always a prat to me as well as yesterday’s events still fresh in my mind, his calm body just standing there looking at me like I was from another planet.

He opened his mouth and went to speak before his name was called.

Turning we looked at who had said his name. Swaggering down the emptying corridor was Rivett and Fox. I scoffed in disgust, while crowds of girls swooned visibly against their lockers.

The boys were hot, and they knew it.

“What are you doing talking to her? Hailey’ll be pissed,” Rivett laughed before giving me a dirty look, his dark green eyes blazing, I cowered against the locker, normally I wasn’t scared by these guys; but the way he was looking at me made shivers run across my skin.

I held my books closer to my chest and looked at Fox; he was leaning against the locker next to me, his features twisted into a disturbing face.

A wide smile, one that exposed all of his teeth.

A smile that reminded me of the Cheshire Cat; only it felt like I was a helpless dormouse he was torturing, waiting for the right moment to attack.

I stood looking at the three men who had circled around me, Rivett talking to Hunter and Fox staring at me causing goosebumps to appear on my body.

Something didn’t feel right about the way he was staring at me.

I only had to endure it for a few moments more before the bell rang. I went to move but Rivett manoeuvred his body, his bulky frame turning to face me. Squinting he turned his head slightly.
‘I think there’s something around your neck,’ my hands shot to my throat on impulse. “Oh wait, no, that was just wishful thinking,” a loud chortle left his lips. I heard Fox snigger next to me. the two boys hi-fived before vanishing down the hallway, shoving a solemn Hunter signalling him to follow, he did so mercilessly.

Tears obscured my vision as I ran my fingers around my throat, touching the delicate skin, skin that could easily be torn.

I turned my head and watched as the three demons stalked down the hallway, surprised when a pair of icy blue eyes met mine. Something flashed through the irises, an emotion that I had never seen on him.

I couldn’t place it; it was like I was trying to piece a puzzle together but all I had was a blank piece in a sea of colours.

Perhaps it was regret.

Maybe sympathy.

I would never know this was merely a freak accident; he was never going to speak to me again and vice versa. I wasn’t going to go up to him and start conversing, as if all the pain him and his friend had caused me meant nothing.

I watched as they vanished into the sea of bodies, his blue eyes leaving mine as he rounded a corner.
I pulled my attention back to the three texts books I was cradling in my arms, taking a deep breath I adjusted the straps on my shoulders and slunk back into the shadows, two inky arms looping with mine, one friend on each side of me as we walked toward my first class.

I passed Elsie standing by her locker; she was busy drawing her attention to texting to her mother. Toby Jacobs whizzed past me, an odour of sulphur and peroxide filled my sense of smell making me gag.

A science experiment gone wrong.

They seemed as if they blended with the rest of the herd but unfortunately they haven’t, they haven’t slipped under the radar of certain group whose names are like a prayer around this place. Their faces plastered all over the principals wall.

Star students.

Perfect role models.

Pfft!

I was pulled to a sudden halt, whispers were thrown around between the shadows and I knew I had to be brave. I had to face my fears, after everything that had happened yesterday. Taking a deep breath I squared my shoulders.

Here goes.

Reaching out one of my hands I grasped the handle. A pang of fear hit me but with reassuring words I was coaxed into the classroom.

Perfume and perfection.

I looked behind me quickly.

They were standing behind the door urging me on, blackness radiating from their wispy figures. I turned back around and walked over to the corner of the room dumping my bag on the floor and sliding down the wall.

Their yells filled my ears; an odd curse left their lips. Looking up once more I saw they had vanished, returned to their rightful places in the hallway.

I was alone.

Scared, scared like the mouse that I was.

“Look who just walked in,” I heard a venomous voice whisper, my eyes drifted over to the brunette who stood in the corner of the classroom, Leah Jackson, she stood with a few other pretty girls.

Wannabe Angels.

I drew back my lips in a sweet smile even though a sneer lurked behind it and visions of their arms flailing as a moving train speeds toward their willowy bodies.

“Alright girls, come on, up, up, up,” a middle aged woman walked out into the middle of the polished floor, her Vans tapping on the hard surface. There was a wave of moans before the girls pulled themselves into a standing position and wandered so they were standing in the middle of the room.
“Miss Huston… if Kat isn’t going to dance then she shouldn’t be in this class,” Leah whined, her voice as painful as nails on a blackboard. I shuddered and turned my attention to the woman who stood with her hands on her hips.

Miss Huston turned to look at me an apologetic look in her grey eyes, slowly I sighed and got to my feet adjusting my black pants, knowing that I had dance I had made sure to wear my pants to first lesson instead my normal attire. I walked over to the group and waited to hear what I would be doing.
Probably standing and swaying on the spot, like a flower bending in the breeze.

A pathetic flower in a toxic wind.

Oh well, grin and bear it.
It won’t last long.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry to all my wonderful readers that this has taken so long to update but first nothing was sounding right, then I lost my USB but now everything is restored so it should be good.
So please review and tell me what you think.... love the feedback thank you all so much :)