The Space Chronicles

Chapter 3 - Polanda

It was a decent few hours before the crew of ‘The Big Sneeze’ reached the ice planet of Polanda. The planet was snowing constantly and had covered its surface in deep thick snow.

The ship landed on the snow and sunk in at least two feet. The front opened up and out stepped Keith Starr looking very proud of himself. Nearby was a cave with a dim light glowing in it.

“You owe me a favour Segmath,” said Keith cockily walking over to the cave.

“I would not believe it if I had not seen it with my own eyes,” said Segmath walking over with Dannon

“Hello anybody in?” enquired Keith as he entered.

“Who dares enter?” came a dark feminine voice.

“It’s me Keith Starr,” replied Keith.

“Keith Starr!?” the voice returned, “The same Keith Starr that helped get me imprisoned here in the first place.”

“Wow, you remembered,” said Keith, “See I’m a friend of yours.”

There was a huge whoosh of light as Keith flew through the air to land neatly on a nearby rock. Segmath and Dannon pulled out their swords. A woman then emerged from the cave with long black hair and wearing a thick black robe, on her back was a long staff with the skull of an alien species and in her left hand she brandished a sword.

“Stop!” said Segmath, “Why do you mean him harm?”

“This little weasel fled when I was ambushed by the Crylonian army,” replied the woman.

“You must have done wrong,” replied Segmath, “Who are you?”

“I am Nárcli,” said the woman, “The last of an Elvin kind and only a mere eight hundred years old.”

“I am Segmath,” replied Segmath, “We require your help.”

“What help could I possibly give you?” asked Nárcli

“Please, we must find the other half to this map,” said Azuka handing her half of the scroll over.

“It can not be,” exclaimed Nárcli, “This is the map to the Lost planet.”

“Do you know where the other half is?” asked Segmath. Nárcli nodded.

“It is on this very planet,” replied Nárcli, “I put it in a garrison of aggressive bears.”

“The most ferocious animals on the planet,” replied Segmath, “We can not possibly get it back.”

“Oh he of little faith,” said Keith walking over, “I shall get the other half of the scroll”

“What!” replied Nárcli, “You could not possibly obtain it from such ferocious animals?”

“I’ll show you,” replied Keith, “Celio! Grab your gun we’ve been challenged.”

“To what?” asked Celio emerging from the ship. Keith gave him a wink.

“We’re going do some hunting,” replied Keith

Nárcli led the way across the huge plane to where the bears resided. Upon a glimpse you could see that they were twice the size of a regular Earth bear and also twice as ferocious with huge teeth.

“I regret this already,” said Keith, “But nether the less.”

Keith and Celio jumped down and snuck across the plane. The bears sniffed them out immediately and chased after them. Keith and Celio ran towards them and dived over just in the nick of time.

Keith grabbed a rope and lassoed one of the bear’s legs. One thing he didn’t realise were that these bears weren’t as slow as ordinary ones. Keith began to scream as the bear pulled him and Celio along.

“Hold on!” exclaimed Keith. The other bears were beginning to chase them now ferociously growling. Keith looked around and saw a piece of scroll to the distance. Using Celio he jumped onto the bears back and pulled Celio up.

“Grab my legs!” shouted Keith. Celio did and lowered Keith as close as he could to the ground. Keith reached out as he approached the scroll and grabbed it.

Celio couldn’t keep his grip any longer and let one Keith’s legs go. Keith was beginning to feel the force of the floor and grabbed hold of the rope still attached to the bear’s leg.

Another bear grabbed Keith as Celio let go. Keith held strong to the rope and tried to get the bear off with his free foot. Keith then put the scroll in his mouth and got a better grip on the rope.

Bears were beginning to dive at him but missing by inches. The bear turned and lead both Celio and Keith towards the other bears.

“Jump off!” said Keith who let go, Celio dived off, “Now run like hell!”

Keith and Celio then began to run towards the others with the bears on their heels. Keith at this point took out his gun and began to blast his way through

“Get back to the ship!” screamed Keith. Everyone then made their pace back to the ship.

Everyone stumbled into the ship and were shortly followed by Keith and Celio who had trouble starting the engine because it was frozen over.

“They’re coming,” said Dannon pointing to the ever closing in bears. One bear dived and made it to the ship. Keith kicked it off as the ship managed to start up. It flew on higher and higher.

“You may be good, you may go far,” said Keith, “But you can not defeat Keith Starr.”

Keith laughed as he closed the doors and they jetted into space. Nárcli then grabbed him by the throat.

“Told you I could do it,” replied Keith with a wink. Nárcli then seemed to growl.

“You are going to take me with you,” she said

“And why would we do that?” asked Keith

“Cause I’ll kill you if you do not,” replied Nárcli. Keith merely nodded and handed the scroll over to Azuka who put it with the other piece. It seemed to heal itself along the creases.

“To find the lost planet ushered from the mouth of lord Montynow himself you must go to the planet…..” there was another very small piece missing.

“The Plant what?” asked Keith

“I don’t know,” replied Azuka, “There is a small piece missing.”

“Who is this lord Montynow?” asked Dannon

“He must be on of the creators of the map,” replied Azuka, “He is attending a ball on the planet Jerina, he invited me a long time ago.”

“Ah-ha!” said Keith, “We go to the first planet I was banned from.”

“Why were you banned from it?” asked Segmath

“I stole lord MontyNows wife’s ring,” replied Keith, “Got stuck on my finger and he wanted to cut it off.”

“Looks like we are going to a ball for the Beaurocrats of the galaxy,” said Segmath