Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

What If...

Chapter One

"Maria!"

I bit my lip fixing my hair in the mirror while Sammy purred softly in my lap. "What do you think, Sammy?" I whispered picking him up and setting him on the vanity before standing up. "Good?"

"Maria," Uncle Severus said opening the door. "We've got to go."

I turned to him and held my arms out, "Good?"

His hand fell away from the door handle as he walked in to the room. He grasped my shoulders, "You look just like you're mother, Maria. You look beautiful."

"Will they recognize me?" I asked looking up at Uncle Severus.

He sighed and rubbed my arms. "Come here," he hugged me. "You don't have to do this, Maria. I'm not forcing you to."

I shook my head, pulling away. "No. I-I have to go." I looked up at him. "I have to meet him."

Uncle Sev sighed. "You're growing up too fast. It's hard to believe you're fourteen."

I nudged him, "I'm fifteen, Uncle Sev. Don't tell me you forgot today's my birthday!"

"No. I didn't," he chuckled before handing me a small box.

Smiling I took it from him and opened it up. I pulled out the winged heart necklace and smiled. "I love it, Uncle Sev. Thank you." I hugged him before pulling it on.

"Come on, or we'll be late for the train." He said grabbing my trunk and pulling it behind him. I ushered Sammy into his cage before grabbing my jacket and running after him. I held Sammy's cage in one hand and looped my other arm with Uncle Sev. I closed my eyes as we apparated to an ally next to King's Cross. He helped me with a cart and then turned to me. "I told you how to get to platform Nine and 3/4, you remember?" I nodded, slightly unsure of his directions. "If you need any help," he whispered, "Ask that woman there," he pointed over to a red headed woman with a heard of red headed children and a few others behind her. The hurried down the way and Uncle Sev gave me a gentle push. I quickly hugged him before jogging to follow behind them. When I got the courage to speak to the woman, a few of the younger kids had already went through.

"Excuse me." I said pushing my cart up next to her set of twins. "Can you...um...tell me exactly how to-"

"Get onto the platform?" she smiled. I nodded, blushing. "First year?"

"Uh, not exactly. I'll be in my fifth year this year."

"Blimey! You're a little late," smirked one of the twins.

I gave them a weak smile, "Uh, yeah."

The woman smiled, "Well, all you have to do is run, straight at the wall, between platforms nine and ten." I looked at it, still a little uneasy. "Percy, how about you show her how it's done." The older, yet shorter, boy that stood on the other side of the twins walked up and then ran at the pillar before disappearing. "See, dear. Nothing to be afraid of."

"Yeah," smiled one of the twins.

"We'll be right behind ya, Little Red," smiled the other.

I sucked in a deep breath and jogged at the wall. The only thing is as soon as I hit the wall, I tripped. I fell through the other side onto my stomach and my trolley hit the other pillar, making Sammy let out an angry meow as my trunk slipped off the edge. I groaned rolling onto my back, just as the twins came running through, laughing with their concerned mother behind them.

"How's you're first day goin', Little Red?" One of the twins asked lifting me up as the other put my trunk back on the trolley.

"Just great," I sighed sarcastically. "Thanks, though."

"No problem," they smiled.

"I'm Fred Weasley. by the way."

"George Weasley," said the other one.

"Maria Potter," I nodded slightly.

Their eyes widened and their mother grabbed my shoulder. "I'm sorry, dear. Did you just say you're name was Potter?"

I nodded, "Yes."

"My goodness," she breathed as the train let out a whistle. "Oh! Go! Quickly so you don't miss the train." She ushered us over to the train. I handed the man my trunk, and tossed my bag over my shoulder before picking up Sammy's cage.

"Hey, Little Red!" Fred called before I could walk away. "Why don't you sit with us?"

I blushed, "Uh, sure."

I followed the twins onto the train and down to a compartment with a dark skinned boy inside. "Lee!" the twins greeted him with a hug. "This, is Maria Potter," said George.

"Potter?" mused Lee. "I'm Lee Jordan."

"Nice to meet you," I nodded.

I sat down next to Fred and George sat next to Lee. "So if you're a Potter, why haven't heard of you before?" asked Lee.

"I've sort of been home-schooled all these years," I said shyly.

"So, you're in you're fifth year then?"

"Yep," I nodded opening the cat carrier to let out Sammy. He meowed before curling up on my lap and purring. He is so lazy.

"Who is this," Fred asked scratching Sammy's head.

"This is Sammy. A gift for my thirteenth birthday." I smiled.

"Where have you been all these years?" asked George.

"Does Harry even know you exist?" asked Fred.

I swallowed, "I don't know if he does. And I've been living with a...family friend."

"So, you'll be sorted with the first year's then?" asked Lee.

"Yes. That's what I've been told," I shrug.

The rest of the ride we chatted small things. They told me about many of the teachers, and what they thought of Snape. I kept to myself that he wasn't all bad and let them continue. When the train came to a sudden stop the boys looked up, worried. "We shouldn't be there yet," frowned Fred.

"We're only at the far side of the Black Lake," Lee said from the window.

The lights went out and Sammy jumped up onto the bag rack letting out a howl as he did. "Sammy!" I squeaked. And then the compartment became cold. I rubbed my arms and watched the breath come from my mouth. It had to be that way for fifteen minutes before the lights returned and the train began moving again. "Does this always happen?" I asked pulling Sammy down from the luggage rack.

"No," frowned George as the others shook their heads. They were only timid in speaking for a few moments before they were back to their lively selves.

******

I was dressed in my blank school robes as we exited the train. I looked at Fred and George as a man called for first years. "What do I do?"

"Go with the first year's I suppose," shrugged Fred.

I clutched Sammy's carrier. "Here we'll take him for ya," George said holding out his arms.

"Yeah. We'll take good care of him. Unless you're sorted into Slytherin that is," smirked Fred.

I pulled the carrier away. "We're only joking, Little Red," laughed George.

"You wont be sorted into Slytherin anyway," Fred agreed as George took the carrier from me.

"Hopefully you'll be in Gryffindor!" George shouted as he ran off with Sammy.

I bit my lip, picking at my nails as I walked up to the big man that was shouting for first years. I fallowed at the back, taller than them all, but still short for fifteen. We road boats across the Black Lake and exited the boats at the boat house. We then traveled up the steps to the castle and the man left us at the the front door and we walked over to the Great Hall. There stood a woman dressed in green robes and a large witch hat that held a green feather. We gathered in front of her on the stairs.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she smiled. "Now, shortly, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup. The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily." She walked off and left us on the stairs.

The little eleven year olds began to speak among themselves, probably knowing each other through their parents or simply logic of an eleven year old on how to easily make friends. I ran my fingers through my hair, a nervous habit of mine. An eleven year old tugged on my robs and I looked over at him.

"Aren't you a bit old to be with us," he asked. Kindly.

"I-uh-yes, probably. But I'm just a little late on arriving to school," I smiled.

"I'm Michael, by the way," he said holding out his hand.

"Maria," I smiled shaking his hand.

"What house do you think you'll be in," he asked. "I hope I'm in Gryffindor."

I smiled at him, "Me too. I was told that's where my parents were placed so I have a strong feeling I'll be there too."

The Professor came back. "We're ready for you now. Follow me." I walked with Michael into the Great Hall, shying away from all the stares from the other students. I saw Fred and George there and they waved like maniacs with Lee at me. I blushed and looked down as they laughed. "Will you wait along here, please? Now, when I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses." I took a deep breath as she called the first name. I shuffled my feet and was caught off guard when she said mine. "Maria Potter."

For a moment, I couldn't move. But then my legs began to walk on their own. I slowly walked up the steps and sat on the stool. All eyes were on me. Many were wide with shock. I closed my own as the hat was placed on my head. I opened them again as the hat spoke.

"Ah! I have been waiting for you! I wondered when the other Potter would come to school! Now let's see here. Ah, the intelligence just like you're mother. Perfect for Ravenclaw. But I can see the bravery as well. And the tricks of you're father just beneath."

"Gryffindor," I whispered. "Please, place me in Gryffindor."

"Ah. Yes. That it is. Gryffindor!" he shouted.

The Professor McGonagall took the Sorting Hat off my head and I shakily stood up. No one clapped. Not even the teachers. I took a glance at Professor McGonagall who seemed quite surprised I was here just like the others. I walked down the steps and sat at the edge of the people at the same table Fred and George were at. I shifted under the stares that remained as the other names were called. I smiled when Micheal came to join me at the Gryffindor table.

"Congrats," I smiled at him.

"You too," he smiled back. His eyes were wide with excitement to start his education at Hogwarts.

Once the Sorting was done. The school choir came out and sang. Everyone clapped once they were finished and then Dumbledore came to his stand.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good Luck, Professor."

I looked over at the man who stood up and took a small bow. Lupin. The name was familiar but I couldn't remember from what. "And Professor Grubbly-Plank, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce, that his place will be taken by none other, than our own, Rubeus Hagrid." I looked at the tall man that stood and saw it was the man that had escorted the first years inside. The tables cheered, but the Gryffindor table was the loudest.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban. Until such time as Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them not reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times," Dumbledore waved his hand over one of the candles next to him and it went out, "if one only remembers to turn on the light." He nodded and stepped down as the food appeared.

I sighed before grabbing some food and eating. I could still feel eyes on me. I glanced down the table and caught eyes with a pair of green ones. I could feel the tears in my eyes as I looked into my mother's eyes. I blinked and my father's features straightened out. I clutched my fork as I tried to catch my breath. I hung my head, my eyes closed as a few tears escaped. He looked exactly like my-our father did. I didn't dare try to eat. I only stared at my food for the rest of the time. The Prefects stood first, taking the first year's away before any of the other years. One Prefect stopped next to me, and told me the password before leaving with the first years. I dropped my fork and put my elbows on the table and put my hands in my hair. A small sound of a throat clearing across from me made me look up. She was pretty. Long busy brown hair and brown eyes. She shifted in her seat.

"I'm Hermione Granger," she said holding out her hand.

"Maria Potter," I mumbled taking it and giving it one shake before letting go.

"Is it true," she whispered leaning over the table at me. "You're really Harry's sister?"

"Yes," I nodded.

She chewed on her lip, "He want's to meet you."

I raised an eyebrow, "Really? Then why didn't he come and talk to me instead of you?"

"Believe it or not, he's a bit shy," she smirked.

I smirked as well, "And believe it or not, I am too." I stood and she stood with me. I walked a little ways down the table and sat down next to another red head. He had features like the twins that made me wonder if he was a Weasley as well. But I turned to my brother across the table. "Harry," I whispered, tears threatening to spring alive again. He only stared at me. I reached over and took his hand. "You look so much like Dad," I whispered a few tears coming down my face. His hand twitched and I removed mine quickly. "Except you're eyes. They're just like-"

"Mum's," he whispered.

I nodded wiping away the tears, "Yes. Just like Mum's."

"You look like her," he breathed. "I-I have pictures. You look just like her. Except you've got Dad's eyes."

I smiled, "I'm sorry, Harry. So sorry."

He shook his head, "Don't." He paused. "Where've you been?"

"Home-schooled. My guardian was a little bit too protective at times," I said giving a side glace at Snape who sat at the head table with the other teachers.

Harry swallowed, "These are my friends. Hermione and Ron Weasley."

I looked at the boy next to me, "I knew you were a Weasley."

His eyes narrowed, "Why? Because of my robes? My hair?"

I was taken a-back. "No! No. You're nose and eyes actually. They're like Fred and George's."

"Oh," he blushed a bright red. "Sorry."

I giggled, "No hard feelings, mate." I rubbed his back.

"Shall we go then?" Hermione asked. The others and I nodded and I walked with them out of the Great Hall. I walked between Harry and Ron as Hermione tagged on Harry's other side. They spoke of what this year would bring compared to the last two. I smiled at their stories and glanced up. My jaw went slack as I caught eyes with the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen. He smirked at me before turning away to walk with the Slytherin's down to the dungeons. I blushed and turned to listen to the rest of the story Harry and Ron were blabbing about saving Ron's little sister Ginny. A head of us a painting sang and I flinched at her voice.

"Here, listen," said an Irish boy. "She just won't let me in."

"Fortuna Major," Harry said to the Painting.

"No, no. Wait, wait," the Fat Lady said holding up her hand. "Watch this." She began "singing" again and I quickly covered my ears. When her glass wouldn't break she leaned back and broke it on the wall behind her. She gasped, "Amazing! Just with my voice."

"Fortuna Major," Harry said again, annoyed.

"Yes, all right. Go in." She huffed.

"Thank you," Harry said rolling his eyes. I giggled and fallowed behind him with Hermione. "Still doing that after three years," Harry said to the Irish boy.

"She can't even sing," they said together. "Exactly!"

I laughed when a dark skinned boy walked through a ghost. Hermione giggled a little too before she showed me up the steps, after saying goodnight to the boys. "Um, Angelina," she called and a girl with dark skin turned around. "This is Maria. She's in you're year, could you show her to your dorm?"

"Yes, of course," she smiled at me.

"Thanks," I smiled. "Night, Hermione."

"Night!"

Angelina showed me to our dorm and I told her thanks before I changed and climbed into bed. Sammy was there waiting for me and I wondered how he had gotten here. I would have to remember to ask the twins tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes I used the same beginning of the Sorting Ceremony from the first Harry Potter. I assumed it was pretty much the same for each time. Don't like it...sorry xD You're loss then.

Declan will be introduced in the next chapter! SO excited!!!! Aren't you?