Status: Active!

Misfits

eleven.

Taryn woke up to the sound of the large bedroom door opening and closing. She rolled onto her back lazily, having been on her stomach with her arms and legs sprawled out, and was hit in the face with the smell of food. She sat up, rubbed the sleep from her face, and watched as a maid set a large tray full of food on the bed with her. She raised an eyebrow, watching the maid leave before spotting Loki.
"Breakfast in bed? Really?" she asked groggily.
"I requested it be brought," he smiled at her. He liked the look she was sporting; hair sleep disheveled, wearing his shirt, and sitting in his bed.
"Cool," she said. "I can't eat all of this by myself though. You have to help, come up here," she added, scooting over so he had room to sit.
"Did you sleep well?" Loki asked as the two ate.
"I did," she replied through a small mouthful of food, and soon after, a thought hit her. "Wait. You didn't sleep on the couch or something did you?" she asked.
"The couch was perfectly fine," he said.
"Loki! It's your room, and your bed. You could have just left me on the couch," she said.
"With as much as you move around as you sleep, you probably would have just fallen off," he said with a light laugh. At his words, she gave him a playful glare and punched him in the arm.
-

Ahrima was true to his word. He began to let her Taryn use minor attacks on him during practices. As proud as he was of her for learning as fast as she did, her antics were a major cause for concern. Her strength grew at an unnaturally fast pace, which only further proved the things she was capable of.
She was splitting cracks into the earth below them already, and creating fire as well. She was growing more dangerous with each passing day. If she kept going, the subconscious connection would be made. Ahrima was doubting Odin's words. He wasn't sure there really was a way to keep her from falling into the mindset of chaos and destruction. He saw it in her eyes everyday. She may have seemed perfectly fine, even to herself, but that dark part of her was there. It seemed impossible to prevent. There was no telling when or how she would finally snap, and what exactly would happen when she did.
Ahrima worried for Taryn. He often overheard other Asgardians speaking about her. They spoke of her as if her existence was a shame.They were actually insulted by her presence in the halls. How dare she enter these halls and proclaim herself of Asgard? She was clumsy, she was weak. She was unworthy of respect. She was nothing. Whether Taryn heard the same whispers or not, Ahrima couldn't tell. He could only hope it wouldn't trigger the girl if she did.
He was very uncomfortable with the amount of time she spent with Loki. Loki was not to be trusted, not after everything he had done. Ahrima believed that Loki would manipulate Taryn. It was no secret how much the God of Mischief craved some form of chaos, and he would take great pleasure provoking Taryn into destruction.
Ahrima was correct to an extent. Loki would not be disappointed to see the girl break, but nobody would have guessed that there was an overwhelming sense of protection toward her as well. It was a thought Loki found himself with every day. He was determined not to let himself succumb to his mischievous and destructive ways with her. It was an unspoken promise to himself not to push her over the edge.
Loki had done some digging. He had gone to the Norn and persuaded them, with the charm of his silver tongue, to give him the same information of the girls fate given to Ahrima and Odin. Though, for some strange reason, the Norn spoke in what was basically riddles, Loki gathered this: what Ahrima had told Taryn was a lie.
There never was an uncertainty of Taryn's abilities. Ahrima had known from the very beginning that she was going to grow to be a powerful girl. Once the Norn unraveled her entire fate, they found that, despite only being half Asgardian, she was going to possess hidden power capable of nightmarish destruction. The story was simple until that point. It was rare to see an uncertain fate, and that was indeed what Taryn had in front of her. All the Norn could gather from her fate was that destruction could be stopped, but only once it had already begun. It was inevitable for her to fall onto that dark, chaotic path, but she could be pulled back into the light. What made it even more complicated was that they didn't know what force would be able to save her.
Loki left after the Norn told him all that he needed to know, jaw clenched tight in anger as he walked. He was going to have a few words with Ahrima. He summoned the warrior and sat in a large chair, leaning back and sitting casually yet menacingly as he awaited Ahrima's arrival.
"You called on me, Loki?" Ahrima asked as he entered the room. Loki rose from his seat and slowly approached Ahrima.
"I happened upon some rather... odd news not too long ago. About your daughter," Loki started smoothly, searching Ahrima's face for a reaction.
"My daughter's business is none of your concern, Loki," Ahrima said sharply. Loki gave a small smirk of amusement.
"Taryn's business is of my concern. I know what she is, I see it in her eyes every day," he said.
"You will not harm her," Ahrima said eyes narrowing and voice threatening.
"Believe it or not, I do not aim to provoke her. Quite the opposite, actually. I wish to protect her," Loki said. "But you might," he added, looking the warrior dead in the eye.
"I would not put my own daughter in harms way, how dare you accuse me of such a thing," Ahrima spat, offended.
"She feels betrayed by you already, how do you think she would react if she found out you were keeping the truth from her?" Loki said, taking a step closer to the fuming warrior. "It might just make her snap," he finished, voice quiet. Ahrima continued to glare. "I went to the Norn," Loki said, louder this time. "They told me of her fate. Her true fate. It was a very poor decision for you to keep the truth from her. Haven't you fed her enough lies?" he questioned, blue eyes burning into the man before him.
"Do not interfere in this, Loki. This is your warning," Ahrima growled. Loki's jaw tightened.
"Do not challenge me. I will do what I must to protect her, and you will not get in my way," the God of Mischief growled with equal intensity before leaving the room.
"Likewise," Ahrima called after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to go back and edit a few things in the other chapters, but they aren't very obvious changes. They play into the story though.