Status: Active!

Misfits

four.

As Ahrima led Taryn into the giant dining hall, Taryn's grip on his forearm grew tighter, her eyes widening. The hall was far too populated for her taste. It looked like everyone who was anyone in Asgard had attended. They were all laughing and talking among each other, waiting for the event to officially begin. Ahrima brought her even farther through the hall, approaching Odin's throne. They greeted him and then he began to address the whole company.
"Tonight's dinner is in honor of our new guest in these halls, Taryn, daughter of Ahrima," he started, his voice echoing throughout the hall. "She has traveled from Midgard to learn of the blood she shares with the Asgardians. I ask you to please welcome her as you would a friend," Odin announced. Taryn's cheeks burned red as she felt eyes watching her and people cheering her in welcome. She kept her eyes down as she followed her father to a seat.
A glass of wine was poured for her by one of the many servants circulating throughout the dining hall. She was going to need a drink or two if she were to make it out of this place alive. She took a few large, nervous gulps of the wine. The blonde man she had seen earlier spotted her action and gave a hearty laugh.
"We aren't going to run out of wine any time soon, young Taryn, there is no rush," he said in amusement, taking a rather unflattering bite of his food.
"Oh, leave her be, Thor. If it means she will be less nervous, then let her drink to her hearts desire," Ahrima said with his charming smile. Taryn was too nervous to eat, what with the stares she kept catching, and seeing people speaking under their breaths about her. She got the feeling that they thought she didn't belong there. Ahrima convinced her to eat a few bites when he noticed she wasn't eating.
"May I ask what is troubling you?" he asked her quietly after she finished what she was willing to eat.
"All of your little friends are judging the shit out of me. I can tell they don't think I belong here," she huffed, taking another gulp of her wine. Ahrima sighed.
"I will give you this; there are those among us who believe themselves to be above others. But, as long as you are in the house of Odin, you will be treated with the same respect as the rest of us," Ahrima said.
"And if I'm not?" she asked, looking up at him.
"Then it would be highly unacceptable. You do not have anything to worry yourself over. This is your party, you should be having fun," he smiled at her. After dinner came the dancing and even more energetic socializing. Taryn managed to tuck herself away along a far wall, desperately trying to stray away from anymore socializing. Taryn was so caught up in her thoughts and her attempt at staying hidden, that she didn't even realize another woman approach her until she began to speak.
"If you are feeling overwhelmed, you are more than welcome to step outside," the woman said. Taryn flinched at the unexpected presence and turned her bright green eyes onto a tall blonde woman. It was Frigga, Odin's wife.
"I just might have to take up that offer, Queen," Taryn uttered, dipping her head in a small bow as she spoke. The woman smiled.
"I will let your father know. You can roam if you would like. If you get lost, someone will be sent for you," Frigga said before gracefully leaving Taryn's side. Taryn crept along the wall quickly, and slipped through the open doors. A wave of relief fell over her immediately, and she began roaming the halls, looking at the decorations and letting her mind settle. Nearly ten minutes into her wandering, she passed by a familiar looking door put off in the corner. Curiosity got the better of her. She wanted to see this man up close.
She crept up to the door and tugged at it. It opened after a moment with a small creak and she poked her head inside. The man she saw earlier was sitting against the wall in the back of the cell, his head hung low. His shoulders were slumped and he was hunched over. He looked defeated. Slowly, she moved further into the room. Once she was in, she stood by the door, curious green eyes held steady on the man. He moved suddenly, as if something had frightened him awake. He lifted his head and started looking around himself. His eyes landed on her. There were dark circles around his bloodshot blue eyes. He looked so vulnerable and weak. They just watched each other for a few moments before Taryn decided to break the silence.
"So... you're the one who attacked New York three years ago?" she asked awkwardly. She didn't think about the fact that this conversation would be literally one sided before she walked into the room. He just stared up at her momentarily before giving a small nod. "And you've been locked up in here since then? Like, with that thing on your mouth and everything?" she went on, earning another nod.
"His sentence is almost over," a voice suddenly joined in from behind Taryn. She flinched and spun around, seeing Thor standing in the doorway.
"Three years of imprisonment doesn't seem like a long enough sentence for the damage he did though," Taryn said thoughtfully.
"In your realm, it may not be, but it works a little differently here," Thor informed her. "Loki is not only imprisoned for the damage he caused Midgard, but also to suffer the consequences of his own actions upon Asgard. The punishment in that cell is enough to drive a mortal into complete madness," he continued. Taryn turned her head back to Loki as she took in Thor's words. "Come, I will escort you back to your chamber," Thor said after a moment of thoughtful silence. Taryn followed after him, throwing one last curious glance over her shoulder as they left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't like how I wrote this chapter. But I tried. I may or may not edit it later when I can write better.