Status: Active!

Misfits

five.

"So... what exactly are we doing?" Taryn asked as she and Ahrima walked down the halls the next morning. Ahrima had woken her up that morning and got her in an outfit used for Asgard's warriors in training, with little explanation beforehand.
"Beginning your lessons. You do not yet know the power you posses. That alone makes you dangerous to yourself and those around you. I am going to help you learn control, build up your strength, and test your limits on a daily basis. It will be frustrating at times, but it is only meant to help you. We will start out small today," Ahrima explained as they stepped outside. Taryn was momentarily dumbstruck by their surroundings. Everything was so beautiful. Her wide eyes caught sight of a giant, rainbow colored bridge. She furrowed her brow. The bridge led to a hollow, circular frame.
"What's over there?" she asked, pointing out the frame.
"That used to be the Bifrost. It was our main mode of transportation across the realms before it was destroyed. The process of rebuilding it will take a very long time. Until then, we must travel by other means," Ahrima said.
"What happened to it?"
"Loki, Thor's brother, was using it as a weapon. Leaving the Bifrost open will cause it to build power. It can destroy entire civilizations with its strength. Loki was trying to destroy the realm of Jotunheim, the realm of the Frost Giants. Thor had to destroy the Bifrost, otherwise there would be no hope of saving Jotunheim."
"This Loki guy has some issues..." Taryn muttered.
"He has been confronting those issues for the past three years, young Taryn. Come now, it is time for your first lesson."
-

"Your first objective is simple. You have done it once before, it should not be too difficult to do it again," Ahrima explained.
"Making plants grow? That was an accident the first time, I don't even know how I did it," Taryn said.
"You cannot over think it. Clear your head and imagine only the plant," he assisted. She sighed, and found a patch of grass to concentrate on. She stared down at the patch of grass, willing something to grow out of it. She stood there for a few moments, nothing happening.
"This is useless," she huffed.
"You have already done this. Remember what you saw, and realize it was you that made the ivy grow," Ahrima said, standing next to her patiently. She let out another sigh and looked down at the grass again. After a moment, she squatted down. Hesitantly, she cupped her hands over the grass, willing something to happen underneath. She let out a little gasp when she felt a slight tickle on her palms. She took her hands away from the grass and saw a small bundle of purple flowers blooming in the same spot. She grinned, and ran her hand in a line across the grass, more flowers quickly sprouting on the trail of her hand.
"Very good, Taryn!" Ahrima laughed. She looked up at him, wonder in her eyes. "Now try again. Something bigger," he instructed. She squinted her eyes at the ground in thought. Could she make more than just plants appear? She dropped to her knees again, and hovered her hands over the ground once more. Her brows furrowed at the strain, but was pleased to see her plan was working. A small mound was rising out of the dirt and grass. She was already sweating from the effort of conjuring a rock from the ground, but her struggle paid off. When she couldn't fight it anymore, she lifted her hands. There was a portion of a decent sized rock sticking out from the ground.
"You're doing wonderful. Don't try to do more than you can, however. The strain can harm you," Ahrima said.
"So that's my power? I can control plants and dirt?" Taryn asked. Ahrima grinned at her.
"I believe you can do more than that. Come," he said. She followed him to a fountain full of water. "Try to control the water. Move it, freeze it. Whatever you please," said Ahrima. Taryn looked down at the still water. She then stuck her finger tips in thoughtfully. Slowly, the water started moving. It was moving around in a weak circle, but it picked up speed and strength gradually until the center of the pool started dipping in.
"Already stronger. More confident. Taryn, it is my belief that your abilities allow you to control the elements. Earth, water, air and fire. The more you practice these things, the stronger you will become. The time will come where you will not even have to be in contact with the element to control it. If you have the strength, you may even be able to create it," Ahrima said. As he said the last few words, he opened his palm, and a small flame burst from it, disappearing almost immediately. Taryn flinched back at the sudden trick.
"You can do this stuff?" she questioned in surprise.
"Hardly. I would not be able to defend myself with the small amount of talent I have in the elements. The full talent lies with you," Ahrima answered. The two continued on with the lesson. Taryn found the most difficult to manipulate was air. She couldn't see or touch the air, that was her problem. Once Ahrima released her, she really just didn't feel like changing her clothes. She preferred pants over dresses, so she left her training outfit on. Ahrima had Asgardian business to take care of, so Taryn was left on her own that afternoon. After a while she found herself sitting on a ledge outside, looking over the rest of Asgard.
"Would you like to see it from the ground?" someone asked from behind her. She flinched at the sudden voice and spun around to see Thor leaning against a pillar.
"Stop sneaking up on me, I almost threw myself off this ledge," she said, grinning. "But yes. I would like to see it from the ground," she answered. She hopped off the ledge and followed Thor.
---

As the pair wandered around the buildings and citizens of Asgard, Taryn couldn't help but notice the eyes of passers by scrutinizing her. It made her feel very small and vulnerable.
"News of your arrival seems to have traveled fast," Thor stated, amusement in his voice. He didn't seem to notice that the glances shot at her were far from innocent curiosity.
"Not in a good way. None of these people think I should be here, I can tell by the way they're looking at me," Taryn muttered, keeping her eyes on the ground.
"Of course you belong here! You are of Asgard," Thor laughed.
"Only half. That's enough to shun someone in this place, I can see it in their faces. In their minds, I'm below them," she countered, glancing up at him. Thor stopped their walking.
"Taryn, it does not matter how much Asgardian blood runs in your veins so long as you have the heart. You are as much of an Asgardian as I am. Do not think otherwise," he explained, giving her a reassuring smile. She grinned and shrugged slightly. "Now, you won't see much of Asgard if you keep looking at the ground," he said, continuing to walk. After a while of sight seeing and talking about life in Asgard and Midgard, Taryn's curiosity got the best of her.
"How do you feel about your brother? Like, after the things he did on Earth and here and whatnot," she asked, swinging her legs. The two were sitting on a short wall, overlooking a busy market place they had come across. Thor sighed.
"What Loki did was highly irresponsible and stupid. I believe he should have known better than to react that way. I understand his being upset when our father told him the truth about his origins, but his emotions should not have escalated to the intensity they did. He let vengeance and anger get the better of him and it caused him to make an unwise decision. His actions were terrible, but he is still my brother and I love him. I fear for him though. He has not been able to speak for three years, so I do not know how he will react when he is free," Thor explained solemnly. He turned his gaze to her. "Treat him fairly, I beg of you. I know he devastated your city, but I do not think his presence will be very well accepted in Asgard and I do not want him to feel entirely alone," he added.
"I'll be fair to him as long as he doesn't try to take over my planet again," she said with a crooked grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Loki will speak. Soon.