Status: Active!

Misfits

eight.

She was exhausted by the time she had finished crying. She just wanted to go to sleep so her mind could stop racing. Loki released her when she voiced this, only to take hold of her again. He lifted her up like one would lift a tired child, and began walking. She didn't even question him, she didn't really care what he was doing. She just wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist and let herself be carried, shutting her tired eyes.
"Brother, what are you doing?" Loki heard an all too familiar voice call out from behind him. He turned slowly to see Thor approaching him, a confused expression on the blonde gods scruffy face.
"Taryn has not had a pleasant day. She wishes to sleep," he said quietly so he wouldn't disturb her. Thor was quiet for a moment before a large grin spread across his face.
"You have taken a liking to her, brother," Thor commented.
"She is one of the few who will accept me, and I am grateful for her company," Loki said, grinning back.
"As she is for yours as well, I am sure. She spends a large amount of her time alone. I will leave you to your business now. Farewell, brother," Thor said, departing with another smile. Loki continued on, eventually reaching his sleeping chambers. Keeping her steady with one arm, he pulled back the covers of his bed, and carefully laid her down, making sure she would be comfortable before pulling the covers over her small frame. He sat down on the couch tucked against the wall, and watched the sleeping girl thoughtfully.
She knew the pain he had felt, the pain he still felt. She knew what it was like to feel utterly betrayed. Maybe that was what interested him so much, the fact that she knew the same kind of pain. From the very first time he had seen her, he saw that unpredictable and dangerous force within her. He wanted so badly to know what would happen if it was released. He wanted to see what kind of devastation she could cause. Oh, the things she could do if she could harness the power. The terrible, beautiful things.
As badly as Loki wanted to see it, there was also a tugging feeling against the same force, holding him back from the mischief and chaos he constantly craved. He didn't want to see her lose herself to that same power. He didn't want to see her fall into whatever abyss it was that lingered in the back of her mind. He wanted to protect her from it. Loki didn't have the slightest idea as to why he was so intrigued by Taryn, but he found himself wanting to keep her close. Something about her presence kept him calm. Just being around her seemed to keep his demons at bay.
-

Taryn woke up feeling like something was off. She sat up in the bed to find that she wasn't in her room. It took her a moment to remember she had been with Loki when she fell asleep. She figured she was in his room. But, if she was in Loki's room, then where was he? She looked around, feeling a small ripple of panic run through her.She didn't like the fact that she was alone in someone else's room. Just then, as all sorts of possibilities ran through her mind, she heard a door open. She looked in the direction of the sound and found Loki walking through the doorway. Her panic diminished quickly only to be replaced immediately by dumbfounded shock. Loki had nothing on except for a towel that was wrapped around his hips. His pale skin was still slightly wet from the shower he just took, as was his hair- which was disheveled from ruffling it with a towel, much to Taryn's liking. He wasn't overly muscular, just slightly toned. Her eyes followed him as he walked over to his closet. Oh goodness, the way he walked...
Loki was suddenly aware that he was being watched, and turned to see Taryn sitting up in the bed, a portion of her bottom lip between her teeth. She was too distracted to notice she had been caught, causing Loki to smirk in amusement.
"Did you sleep well, Taryn?" he asked, turning to face her, green eyes shining with mischief. He decided to have a little fun.
"What? Oh. Um... y-yeah," she stammered out, coming back to reality at the sound of his voice. She noticed the smirk on his lips, and her cheeks started turning pink. He was leaning against the door frame of his closet, arms crossed over his chest and hips exposed at just the right angle. Taryn tore her eyes away and began fiddling with the blanket over her legs. He was doing that on purpose.
"I apologize, I was not expecting you to have woken up before I was dressed," Loki said, deciding he had embarrassed her enough. He turned back to his closet, gathering clothes to wear for the evening.
"How long was I asleep?" she asked, looking around at anything but him.
"All afternoon. I debated waking you, but you had a trying morning, so I let you rest," he answered before retreating back into the bathroom to get dressed. Taryn threw herself backwards, hitting the pillow forcefully and staring up at the ceiling.
"You're such a stupid girl," she muttered to herself, completely humiliated. "So stupid." Loki came back out a few minutes later, fully clothed and hair combed neatly.
"Thor decided it would be a good idea to host a party for my release from prison. I pleaded with him not to, but he would not listen to my protests. He is fully convinced I deserve one. I doubt I'm the only one attending that believes it isn't true, but I must attend out of respect," he explained.
"I'm sure everyone going will be civil with you. I mean, I don't think he would be throwing a party if he expected everyone to be total assholes," Taryn said. "Why are you telling me this, anyway?" she added.
"I was hoping you would accompany me. It would be less dreadful of an experience if you were there as well," he said.
"Well I'm not gonna throw you to the wolves alone," she said. "I'll go with you."
"This is not one of my father's parties. It is far less formal of an occasion, and there will be much more excitement. Though it may not be formal, I would not mind seeing you in a dress once more," he suggested.
-

Taryn decided to wear a black dress with a high-low skirt that rippled and flowed easily when she moved. Loki smiled when he saw her. The color of the dress contrasted greatly with her porcelain skin.
"I still prefer pants," she said when she saw his smile.
"Part of the marvel of your wearing a dress is that it is a rare occurrence. The effect is stronger," he replied.
The party Thor was throwing was noticeably different as soon as Taryn and Loki entered the hall. Only a few Asgardians were sitting, the rest were scattered throughout, laughing and speaking with each other boisterously. Taryn grinned. It reminded her of parties she had been to back on Earth.
"Loki! Taryn! Hello!" Thor's voice boomed happily. "Brother, you are late to your own party," he said once he reached the two.
"I don't believe I would have been missed had I not even bothered showing up," Loki said with a grin.
"Come now, brother, do not speak so negatively. Tonight we drink and laugh, there is no room for such negativity," Thor said, thrusting a mug into both Loki's and Taryn's hands and leaving to socialize more. They looked at each other.
"Well. Here's to being a misfit," Taryn said with a smile. Loki laughed and they hit their mugs together, taking their first drink of many.
♠ ♠ ♠
I couldn't resist some half naked Loki...
Next chapter should be up later tonight. More party time.