‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Reggie/Shane

Reggie

I watched Evelyn as she did her best trying to read the book in which she brought home from school. Almost immediately, she got angry and threw it across the room. "Where's Daddy?!" she screamed, staring at me with eyes so evil -- so freaky -- I stumbled back.

"He's at a friend's house. I told you that," I replied, mentally cursing Shane for not being back yet. I thought he would have been back by now, but here it was, a day later, and no sight of him. "I'll give him a call .. right now," I said, grabbing my cell phone. I quickly scrolled through my contacts and found his number, walking out of the house so I wouldn't have to deal with a screaming 3-year-old.

"Hello?" he said, sounding a bit winded. I bit my tongue to keep from cussing him out.

"Where the hell are you? Evy is about to throw a tantrum and you know I can't handle that," I said, keeping an eye on her.

"Shit. I'll be home in five," he said, hanging up. I closed my phone and shoved it in my pocket, quickly making my way inside and picking up Evelyn.

"Put me down!" she screamed, flailing herself, trying to get loose.

"Not until you calm down," I said, slightly tightening my grip.

"I'M CALM!" she screamed, fidgeting more.

"No you're not!" I yelled back.

Shane

I pulled into the driveway and got out, hearing the screams of both Reggie and Evy coming from inside the house. Running up the stairs, I quickly went inside and grabbed my flailing, screaming daughter from the arms of the one guy brave enough to take her head on aside from me.

"Calm yourself, Evelyn Aine," I said, my Irish accent thick. She looked up at me for a moment before going limp. "Why do you have to do this to Reggie when I'm away for a few days?" I asked her, setting her down.

"He's not you," she said simply, as if that explained everything. I gripped her shoulders and sighed.

"There's something you're going to need to know. So you better get comfy, cause this going to be a long, long story," I said, staring at her.