‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Shane

I awoke to the smell of coffee and cinnamon. "Oh god, yes!" I said, rolling out of bed and running out of the room. "Yes, yes, yes!" I said, running down the stairs and making my way through the doors that lead into the kitchen. "YES!" I screamed, causing my grandmother to look at me and wink.

"Heard you three come in last night. I knew it would be nice to see you wake up and come down here to the smell of my infamous breakfast," she said, walking over to me and placing her hands on my cheeks. I bent down and kissed the elderly woman's cheeks before wrapping my arms around her and holding her close. "It's been twenty years, Shane Alexander," she said as we pulled apart.

"I know, Grandmother," I said, sadness filling my voice as I looked into her emerald gaze. "It shouldn't have been."

"You're right, it shouldn't have been, but we can't change that," she said, smiling at me before gesturing towards the table, a meal for the gods displayed so perfectly, as if it came straight out of a cookbook. I sat down at my usual spot, about to dig in when my grandmother cleared her throat. "Wait for the others, Beathan."

She always called me that when I was getting too far ahead of myself. I sat up straight, scooted back away from the table and waited, having the usual stare down with her. When I was a kid, she told me if she blinked before the others were downstairs, I could go on and eat. If I blinked, I hcad to wait.

It became a tie when the doors opened and in came Evelyn and Logan, but looking well-rested. I saw Evelyn eyeing grandmother rather suspiciously, sizing her up, so to speak. "Daddy ... who is she?" she asked, walking over to me and keeping her eyes locked on her great-grandmother.

"That, my lovely, is your great-grandmother, Anya," I said, the face of the elderly woman pulling up in a small smile. I was about to introduce Evelyn when Anya held her hand up.

"I know, Beathan, I know this is your sweet Evelyn," she said, walking over to us and gently running her thumb along her cheek. "You're beautiful, Ròs," she whispered, causing Evy to smile up at her.

"I like her!" Evelyn said, looking at me and smiling brightly. "But... what does 'Ròs' mean?" she asked, looking at both of us.

"The rose flower," Anya and I said together, causing us to smile at the other. She turned to Logan who was just about to dig into the plate full of food before him. "Logan, sweetie," she said, causing him to stop before he took a bite. "Wait for the others." I laughed, right before the smack on the back of my head causing me to stop at once.

"Sorry, Grandmother," I said, looking down before setting Evy down beside me. She made a sound and sat down on the other side of me. She nodded once and I quickly dove in. "Hold up, Logan!" I said, smacking his hand as he reached for his fork again. Once my plate and Evy's plate was full, I looked at both of them and gestured for them to eat.

Logan's eyes widened at once, his face moving closer to the food. "Slow down, this isn't an everyday thing," I said, bringing a bite to my mouth. I moaned in delight and swallowed, looking at my grandmother as I said, "Although, I truly wish it was."

"It wouldn't be so special if I made if everyday, now would it?" she asked, sipping on her coffee. I nodded in agreement as I continued to eat. I was in heaven and I sure as hell didn't want to leave.

Time Elapse

As Logan and Evy chased each other around the front yard, I sat on the porch swing with my grandmother, watching them in contempt. "Am I doing the right thing, Mimi?" I asked, looking at my grandmother. "Or am I wrong bringing Logan back into my life?"

She stared at me for a long moment, but didn't answer. She cast her gaze towards Logan and Evelyn, deep in thought. "The answer will show itself when it wants to be seen." That's all she said on the matter.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Beathan" is a traditional Gaelic (male) name, meaning "child of life". Anya gave Shane that nickname when he was a toddler because he always was happy and joyful, and well, "full of life".

"Ròs" is also a traditional Gaelic name, but female. It means, as I said in the story, "the rose flower".