‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Shane

After eating and walking around town for a while, Logan and I made our way home. It was nice being back, but everything felt so different. After a few minutes of silence, Logan asked, "What happened between you and Reggie?" I looked down at the curious eyes of the man who's never given up on me for a brief moment before looking down.

After a moment or two, I said, "After a few years of dating, we both sort of drifted apart from each other as lovers. We got together, and nothing really changed. It was like we were more friends with benefits than an actual couple. So we just settled for being best friends, it was a lot easier." Logan nodded and snuggled himself closer to me.

The rest of the walk home was silent; we were happy just being with one another. When we arrived home, Roger and Smith were standing by their car with a set of twin boys. "Did they get hitched and I not know about it?" I whispered to Logan, my eyebrows coming together in curiosity.

"About two years after you left. About six months ago, they adopted Willie and Aaron. They finally admitted that they were meant to be together, as cliche as that sounds."

"Life is one big cliche. You just got to make it worth it, if you ask me," I replied, causing him to let out a small chuckle then sighing. Roger and Smith then looked up and a grin appeared on both of their faces.

"Is this for real? Mr. Rockstar in town?" Smith said, walking over to me and wrapping me in a bear hug.

"I'm back. Had to place my claim," I said, pulling away and looking at Logan and winking. He rolled his eyes and walked over to Roger and the boys.

"It's been a long time, Shane," Smith said, just barely over a whisper. "How are we going to know you're actually going to stick around this time?" Hurt, confusion, and curiosity all crossed his features.

"16 years. I've been away from Logan a total of 16 years. Each time I was scared of commitment. Scared that I'd be the one left in the dust, not realizing that I was doing exactly what I was afraid of happening to me." I felt my eyes well up as I thought about it. "I've thought long and hard these last few years, and I know now that I've got to become the man I need to be -- both for me and Logan, and be the father Evy needs."

"16 years is a long time, but I suppose that it's better than wasting away too scared for your entire life," Smith said, looking over at Roger, Logan, Willie and Aaron. "Granted it took me a while as well, but I suppose life's had more of a rough time with you."

I just let out a sigh as I watched my future partner laugh at something one of the boys did. Smith and I made our way over and wrapped our arms around our better half. I prayed silently that I wouldn't fuck up this time. It would be the final blow for me ... and most likely the final blow for Logan.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a bit short;
The last time I tried writing out the chapter, my computer shut down before I finished and I lost it all. Not to mention I was also distracted a lot during that time.