‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Logan

I laid on the couch one Saturday morning, Evelyn laying in front of me as I played with her hair "Mom...Why have you stuck with dad so long?" she asked,turning and looking at me. Pausing the movie and looking at her.

"Well...I always had a crush on your father even during school when he was with someone else. Something in my heart told me he was the one for me,the one to make me happy" I said "Granted,it took a very long time for your father to realize how perfect we were for eachother but I was more then willing to wait years to be with him,even if we were eighty years old" I said.

Evelyn looked at me and smiled warmly,snuggling into me "I love you mom,thank you for keeping me all these years" She said softly. I stilled my hand before moving it down and lifting her chin,staring into her eyes.

"Honey,I would have never given you up. Your father gave you to me for a reason and that was because he knew I would take amazing care of you and look at you now. A beautiful young women and doing so great in school. You've made me so very proud' I whispered,kissing her temple "I love you so much sweetie,now get on to bed, You have school in the morning" I said. Evelyn nodded and kissed my cheek.

"Night mom" she smiled before disappearing upstairs just as Shane walked into the house. I sat up and looked at him,smiling warmly as he walked over and sat beside me and pulled me into his lap.

"Evelyn go to bed?" he asked,causing me to nod my head and snuggle into him.Shane wrapped his arms around my waist and held me tight.

Time Elaspe

Later that night,Shane and I laid in bed,holding eacher.
"Thank you for sticking with me all these years Logan...it took me a long time to realize that what I was doing to you...was just what I was afraid of happening to me" he whispered,his fingers finding my hair and playing with the strands of my hair.

"Shane. You are the love of my life,I wasn't going to ever give up on you. I couldn't see myself with another man. It was either you or grow old alone" i whispered,listening to his heart beat "Even though we've been through so much. I always knew in my heart that we'd be together for ever one day" I said. Shane lifted my head and gazed into my eyes before lifting my hand that held the ring.

"I made that promise for a reason Logan...it took me years to realize that promise was something I can't walk away from but a promise I intend to keep. i swear on our daughter that nothing will take me away again" he whispered before kissing me deeply.

Shane remained by my side as the days passed,working on the house and keeping with me company while Evelyn was at school. One of these mornings,Shane and I were in the middle of a very heated make out session when we heard the door bell ring. Shane pulled away from me with a groan 'Go away!" he called,capturing my lips again as his hands slid up under my shirt freeing a moan from my lips.

"Shane,open up. it's me" I heard Reggie speak through the door. I quickly pulled away from Shane,glaring at him.

"what is he doing here?" I asked softly,keeping my voice low. Shane stared at me with wide eyes and shrugged before standing and going to the door. I shook my head and disappeared from view,not wanting to see Reggie. Not wanting to see the man Shane had left me for eight years ago.

"What are you doing here Reggie?" I heard Shane ask when the door opened,I heard footsteps enter the house then the door close.

"I was in town so I came to see you. Smith told me you and Logan are getting married...is it true?" He asked,I could hear the slight sad tone in his voice.

"Yes,Evelyn needs me and it took me a long time to realize that Logan needs me as well" Shane said. I heard Reggie sigh and knew what was coming.

"Your kidding right? You've been in town maybe two weeks and your just going to up and marry him? Shane haven't you realized that every time you two are together,you two fight and split up?" he asked,anger now raising in his voice.

"It was my fault Reggie,that's what you don't understand. What I was doing to Logan,up and leaving him behind for someone else or not following my heart and staying with him...was the same thing I was afraid of him doing to me. Have YOU not realized that he's stayed loyal to me for sixteen years? The whole time he's had Evelyn he hasn't even dated anyone else" Shane spoke.

I heard silence from Reggie so I came out of the kitchen "Reggie,I know you care about Shane. I've known that for years. Why don't you try getting back with Keegan? he hasn't even so much as kissed another man since being with you" I spoke up before sighing "He's been a recluse to being diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago..." I said as an after thought but that seemed to catch Reggie's attention.

Shane stared at me in shock but Reggie was the first to speak up,staring at me with wide eyes "Breast cancer? Does he still have it?" He asked causing me to nod and look back at him.

"A full year now...he's just barely fighting now I'm sure...I think in the beginning he was putting one hell of a fight praying you came back to him but after a few months he just pretty much gave up" I said. Reggie stared at me before turning and running from the house and to the car.

I smiled just a little,sighing "Maybe seeing Reggie will put the fight back in Keegan.." i said,staring at Shane