‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Reggie

Once I was able to calm Reggie down, I set him gently on the couch, turning myself to face him. "I know I've hurt you, I wish I could take it all back. Honestly, I let my obsession with Shane cloud my thoughts and make me blind to the wondrous man who loved me uncondtionally." Neither of us could look at one another fore more than a few seconds at a time. "I would understand if you sent me away, to never take part of your life from here on out."

"It will take a while before I could even come close to forgiving you," Keegan said, wrapping his arms around his legs. "I was so hurt that day, I was considering suicide, but decided that I wasn't going to let the pain control me. Next thing I know, I've got cancer." I leaned forward and pressed my lips to his. He tenderly kissed me back before pushing me away. "Let's take this slow, become friends again first." I nodded, wrapping my arms around him and holding him close. He rested his head against me and for a long time, we didn't say a word. We sat there, just enjoying the silence.

Time Elapse - One Month

As the weeks passed, and Keegan seemed to become better with each day passing. He seemed to be getting around more easily, although, it was still a bit rough on some days. His hair was growing back, but it was still short. Some color had returned, but he still looked a bit sickly.

"I didn't think I would come out of this so quickly," he said one morning. I looked at him across the table and saw the ghost of him returning. Keegan seemed to be more full of life, but just barely. When he caught my eye, he smiled, a glimpse of hope shining through the fog.

"I'm not giving up on you, Keegan. I promise you that," I said, reaching into my pocket. "Could I ask you one favor?" I asked, leaning back in my chair a little bit.

"Anything, dear," he said, smiling at me with more enthusiasm. I grinned before saying anything.

"Stand up, face that window," I said, indicating the window next to the kitchen table, "and wait for me to tell you to look."

"Okay," he said, looking at me skeptically as he did as I said. When he was in the position, I quickly walked up behind him and knelt down, sticking a small box in the air.

"Feel free to look now," I said, my heart thumping in my chest so hard and fast that I thought it was about to explode. Biting my lip, I waited for him to turn around, hoping I wasn't doing anything drastic.