‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Shane/Reggie

I had all these mixed emotions going through me. Logan was here. Someone had beat him. I removed my gown, thankful I still had my boxers on, and put my clothes on. I twirled the ring in my fingers for a long moment before putting it in my pocket and walking for the door. "Where are you going? Please don't go to Logan. Please?"

"Why not? It's been eight years since we last spoke. I just want to see how he's doing," I said, sounding a bit harsh. Roger stood up, even against my claims that he should stay down. It was taking everything out of him just to stand.

"That's exactly why you shouldn't go to him," he said, gasping in pain. "It's been eight years. Eight years that neither of you called the other, that neither of you got back in contact. I know you still think about him, I see it in your eyes practically every day." He sat down on the bed and rubbed his arm. "I've been to a few of his games. He is so good at what he does. Even from the stands, I can see the pain in his eyes from missing you."

"Roger?" I whispered, barely able to look at him. Looking up at me, he looked at me expectantly. "You're right. You're absolutely right. But," I said, opening the door and stepping out into the hall, "when have I ever listened to you when it came to Logan?" At that, I closed the door and took a deep breath in through my nostrils. There it is. His cologne.

I followed the scent like a damned dog looking for a convicted killer. After a few minutes, I found the room, pausing as I lifted my hand to knock. Letting out a sigh, I knocked. "Logan?" I said, barely over a whisper.

"I'm not ready. Please, don't," he called from the other side of the door. I heard him sob, then gasp from pain. I wanted to obey his wish, but I couldn't stand him being in pain. I opened the door and ran to him, finding him crumpled up in the bed, tears streaming. "No, no, no. Please, go!" he begged, practically folding in on himself.

"Don't move," I whispered, reaching in the inside pocket of my jacket and pulling out some ibuprofen. Handing him the pill and a glass of water, he stared at both for a long moment. "Please take it. It'll help." I reached out to touch him, but withdrew, not sure as to how he'd react.

Walking towards the door, I heard him whisper, "Thank you, Shane." Opening the door, I glanced back and stared at him for a long moment.

"Don't mention it," I replied, walking out and heading for the front desk.

"Mr. Saunders," I heard my doctor call. "You can't leave yet. You still have to be here for some tests."

"I'm out of here. If something goes wrong, I'll be back," I said, throwing my hand up, waving, and shoving my hands in my pockets. I walked out the front door and looked around. Realizing I didn't have my car, I pulled my cell out and called Reggie. Picking up on the third ring, I said, "I just walked out. I'll explain once you get here." At that I hung up.

Time Elapse

After telling Reggie everything, he had came to a screeching halt before moving to the side of the road. "You're a fucking idiot!" he exclaimed, looking at me as if I were insane. "No, fucking idiot doesn't fit for how stupid you were. You should have steered clear of Logan. At least until you were both ready to deal with each other after all these years of no contact!"

"Can we just get to the house. I want to see my daughter. Yell at me in the private of my own -- or your own -- home. Not here," I said, turning and head and looking out of the window. Reggie let out a long sigh before pulling out. "How bad was my car?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Not too bad, it was easily fixable. So Gary and I fixed it back up," he said, sounding rather uninterested.

"Evelyn alright?" I asked, looking at him. He nodded, looking like he wanted to slap me. "Gary with her?" Again, he nodded. "Pull over." Reggie sighed again, but did what I said.

Reggie's POV

I was so irritated with Shane I wanted to cry. Irritated because I was hoping so bad he would have left him alone, that he would have forgotten about him after so long and came to me like the day when Keegan left me. He held onto me the way I wished he would have for so long.

He unbuckled my seat belt, then his own. "Meet me on the sidewalk." Getting out of the car, I walked over to him as he leaned against the hood of the car.

"What?" I said, still feeling mad and hurt. He grabbed my shirt, pulled me towards him, and tangled his hands into my hair.

"This is what," he whispered, pressing his lips gently against mine. I let out a gasp, realizing I never knew how badly I wanted to kiss the man before me. I grabbed his sides and deepened the kiss.

I was in heaven ... and I didn't ever want to leave.