‹ Prequel: One More Weekend

Just Can't Let You Go

Shane

Ten hours.

That's how long we were in the country when Evelyn got beaten. With her memory, as well as Logan's, we were able to get a rough sketch of him. I stared at the drawing for a long time, so long that when I looked up after about half an hour, the others were passed out around me. I sighed and looked back at the sketch.

Something about him seemed so damn familiar, but I couldn't place what it was. His eyes ... that was the familiar thing. They were a cobalt blue, with green speckles. I've never met many Spain-born people with that particular color of eyes, if any at all.

For hours, I've studied his picture and thought. Before I knew it, it was morning of the next day. I looked up when I heard someone waking up. Logan opened his eyes and looked right at me, a worried smile appearing on his face. "Shane, have you been up all night?"

"Yes, been trying to figure out where I have see this guy's eyes before. You guys said they were a cobalt blue with green specs. How often do you see that on a Spain-born person?" I asked, setting the picture aside and rubbing my eyes. A thought occurred to me, causing me to stand up and go to the mirror.

"Your eyes are more like a clear ocean with grey specs. Sometimes they're grey when your mood dampens or if you're upset," Logan said, making me turn around and face him. "I pay attention more than you know, Shane." He got up and walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my neck. We stayed like that for a long time before another person stirred. It was Evelyn.

That's when it dawned on me. "Seamus," I whispered, getting a confused look from Logan. "I remember when we were in Ireland, with Evy, she mentioned Seamus having some green in his dark blue eyes. I've always considered his eye color cobalt."

"You don't think...?" Logan started, making me look at him.

"Only one way to find out," I said, pulling out my cell phone.

Time Elapse

After a very long, very interesting conversation with Seamus, he said he'd come to Spain for a job opportunity, ended up sleeping with a girl, and then flew back home. It wasn't much, but it was all we had. I hung up my phone and looked up at Logan.

"It's possible," I said after a long moment of silence. "He said he'd come here for a job he didn't get, got drunk, slept with a girl, and left."

"Let's just forget about it, Shane," Logan said, looking worried. "We still got a wedding to worry about, which is four days away, mind you."

"You know this is going to bug the living hell out of me, right?" I asked, allowing him to pull me off the bed.

"I know, once your mind is set on something, you have to get to the bottom of it," Logan said, pressing his lips against mine for a brief moment. "Let's just enjoy Spain, and once everything settles down, we'll get to the bottom of it. Deal?" I nodded before kissing him again and wrapping my arms around him and holding him close. Deep in my mind, though, the thought that Seamus's possible son is the reason my daughter has gotten cuts and bruises. I let the silent tears fall, not loosening my grip on Logan.