Sometimes

duo

She doesn't want to look at the baby. Its mouth was rimmed with regurgitated milk and its cheeks were red from the screaming it was doing. Soon its forehead would be red as well, although if she managed to calm it down then the redness would die down as soon as. But out of the two months she's had the baby at home, she has never once been able to calm it down, always having to just let it scream itself hoarse before it would fall asleep.

Judy Kept had always wanted a little baby girl of her own after witnessing both her sisters have daughters. Her nieces were adorable little things and she adored them to the high heavens. So when she found out that her new boyfriend Henry Mill had gotten her pregnant, she was beyond ecstatic. She was twenty three, five years older than the age that both her sister had had their first child, and he was twenty four so the idea of having a child was something they could cope with fine.

Much like her sisters had done, she'd opted not to know the gender of her child and just assumed it was a girl the whole time. However when her waters broke on New Year's Eve and she spent the countdown to the new year in hospital, she was horrified when she gave birth to a baby boy at two in the morning on New Year's Day.

And now Judy was paying a price that only a mother could pay. There was no bond between her and the baby, and there was no love there, either. She had trouble feeding him, changing him, getting him to go to sleep, and worst of all, she had trouble just looking at him.

For the first few months of his life, Nathan Mill's mother cried herself to sleep.