Sometimes

quīnque

On the fifth of February, six months after school had started up, Ronan Wilkins went over to Nathan Mill's house because his mother had to work overtime and the after-school club he normally went to wasn't on.

Like any other afternoon, Nathan returned home to an empty house after walking the five minute walk to his house with Ronan. Judy was out doing anything she could do in order to get away from the house and Henry was at work. Nathan led Ronan up to his room and for the seventy minutes that they were home alone, Nathan and Ronan played with the second-hand cars that Judy had been given by Henry's brother.

As soon as the door opened and Judy stepped into the house, Nathan stood up and told Ronan that he was going to go tell his mother that he had a friend round. He had only been gone for a minute before Ronan felt he needed a toilet and left the room, slowly walking down the hallway to try and find the door to the bathroom. Instead of finding the door, he found the top of the stairs, and from there he could see Nathan and Judy.

For a moment he saw Nathan with his arms around Judy's legs in his attempt of giving her a cuddle. But then he saw Judy push him away, making Nathan stumble back and fall to the floor, before she stepped over him and walked away.

That night Ronan Wilkins would go back home and eat spaghetti letters on toast for his dinner before asking his own mother would she ever push him to the floor for wanting to give her a hug. And when she would ask him why, he would tell her about what he'd seen at Nathan's house. Ronan's mother thought it was something her son was remembering wrong and brushed it to one side, and as the years slowly crept by, she kept brushing the small comments Ronan would make regarding Nathan to one side.

Only when little Nathan Mill's death was announced would she sit down in the dark one night and cry over her errors that just may have cost the little boy his life.