Sometimes

septem

The next time someone suspected Nathan Mill of being abused was when he was just shy of seven years old.

His year two teacher was a young woman who went by the name of Miss Hanlen. The first time she saw bruises on Nathan was during a p.e lesson her class had. Out of the corner of her eye she saw three bruises lining his arm, and when she called him over to look at them more closely, she worked out that they looked like finger marks. When she questioned him about where he got them from, all Nathan could say was that he didn't know.

The next time she noticed bruises on Nathan was in the December when they had their school play. His costume didn't have any sleeves and she saw there were more finger-like bruises running up the same arm as before. But this time she noticed that Ronan Wilkins kept grabbing Nathan's arm, and she knew that sometimes Ronan had a hard grip without knowing. With that thought in mind, she dismissed the bruises as Ronan being a little too tight with his grip.

On the last day before they broke up for their Christmas holidays, Miss Hanlen witnessed Nathan run around the classroom and fall straight onto his face after falling over someone's bag that hadn't been under the table. A little bump formed on his head, and although she took him to the nurse just to check to see whether he needed an ice pack, he was fine. It was then that she realised that whatever bruises she had been seeing on Nathan were bruises that he was getting from being a child, and from that realisation she decided to not alert the headteacher about the bruises because boys will be boys.

Nathan Mill's year was the last year that she taught in Primary school, and she left in the Summer when they broke up for their holidays. She didn't stay in the area nor did she stay in the country, and when news broke about his death, she wasn't one who heard it.