Status: This story is a work in progress. I will post more depending on the feedback

Heaven and Hell

Demons and Angels

Father Stephens led Serena down deeper into the Monastery. Occasionally he would nod to a fellow priest and once another member of Buddha’s Fist, who bowed in return. They went down several flights of stairs until at last reaching a basement area.

“What you are about to see Serena,” Father Stephens began. “is top secret. Only the highest members of the Order of the Holy Light are permitted to go where we’re going.” He indicated to the large wooden door before them. The door looked as if it had seen better days, bits of it were peeling off and it smelled rotten. On the door was a brass sign written in Latin, Maximum solis sacredobitbus, non intrant. Below it, in a small fine print said, High priests only, do not enter. Father Stephens slowly unlocked the door and opened it. The door creaked loudly on its rusting hinges, sending a shiver down Serena’s spine. Inside was a dark room, Serena couldn’t make out much detail. The priest gestured for Serena to go through first. She walked forward cautiously. Inside it appeared to be a dimly lit dungeon. The air was stale & stagnant, the stench of death and decay hung in the air. Serena began to shake slightly, but Father Stephens didn’t seem to notice. He led the way down the hall. Serena hesitated briefly, then followed in his wake. The sound of dripping water echoing throughout the dungeon, their footsteps reverberating off the walls.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“To the lair of the Fiend,” the priest replied without glancing at her. His face was expressionless, his eyes were focussed, taking in every detail of his surroundings. Serena began to cast around warily. They finally reached the end of the hallway to an open cave. The maw of the cave bore the resemblance of the mouth a monster. The stalactites loomed dangerously above their heads, forming the “fangs” of the monster cave.

“The Great Monastery was built around this cave,” Father Stephens began to explain. “It was built around the site of where the Fiend was imprisoned hundreds of years ago by John Peters. Before that though, the Fiend was also defeated by Judas Iscariot.”

“Wasn’t Judas the man who betrayed Jesus to the Romans?” Serena asked perplexed.

“Indeed he was. Although the Fiend was defeated by Judas he had one last trick up his sleeve. He poisoned Judas’s mind. He went insane. The Fiend brought out his sinful nature, bringing it out to its fullest extent. Judas then came back and betrayed Lord Jesus to the Romans. The rest as they say, is history,” Stephens explained. He sighed sadly.

“After Jesus was executed, Judas’s mind became clear again as the Fiend’s corruption faded away. Realizing what he had done Judas hung himself in shame for what he did to his Lord.”There was an uncomfortable silence between the two. The only sounds to be heard was the steady drip of water.

“The Fiend had escaped his encounter with Judas with his life and fled.” Father Stephens continued. “Eventually he came across the seas here only to meet and be defeated by Father John Peters several years later.”

“How come John Peters didn’t go insane like Judas?” Serena asked. Stephens shrugged.
“I don’t know, all I know is the two fought and Peters was the winner,” he replied. “But he did disappear sometime after that, nobody knows where he went, hiding I suppose.”

“From what?”

“The Fiend had many allies who tried to avenge his defeat. I suspect he eventually grew weary of looking over his shoulder and went into seclusion somewhere. Some say he was killed in battle, but in the end it’s all pure speculation.”

“So, you’re going to show me the remains of the Fiend?” she asked. Father Stephens turned to her this time.

“No Serena, not his remains. You are going to see the Fiend himself.” Serena’s eyes widened in shock and fear.

“But couldn’t he corrupt us as he did to Judas?”

“No. The Fiend has lost much of his power over the centuries. He can barely even move his head up anymore. His strength and power wanes. He has been without food the whole time, slowly starving to death. He’ll eat the occasional rat, but it’s not enough for him to return to full strength.”

“He needs human flesh doesn’t he?” the priest nodded.

“Every demon we have encountered must feast on humans if they are to survive. The lesser demons, like the one who attacked you and George find sustenance from our flesh. But greater demons, such as the Fiend, are only sustained by flesh for a time. They prefer to devour our souls. For them that is the real treat.” Serena turned green, feeling like she was going to be sick. Father Stephens turned to the cave and beckoned Serena inside.

“Don’t worry Serena, he’s harmless now, too weak to even try to break free.” he added reassuringly. She gathered up her courage and followed. Inside the cave was also lit. There was a small passageway they followed which led to a large circular chamber. All around them were chains. Many chains coming off the walls, ceiling and floor, all convening to a single point, the centre of the chamber. At the very centre of the chamber was a lone humanoid figure. He was taller than any human she’d ever seen. He had to be at least nine, maybe ten feet tall! He hung partly off the ground, his legs separately chained. His hair was long and red, it reached to the floor and was very unkempt. His skin was pale and grey. His arms were outstretched and heavily chained. A long pointed tail was also heavily chained to the ground.

“The chains are blessed to keep him restrained. Every so often we come down here to renew the blessings to keep him in place. If we were to stop he could eventually break free.” Stephens explained to Serena who nodded in comprehension. The figure looked up, fixing his yellow eyes on the new comers. He smiled weakly, showing off pointed teeth.

“Father Darren Stephens,” he rasped. The Fiend coughed and spat at the priest’s feet, he missed. “It’s been a long time since you came to visit me.”

“Ten years since I last saw you,” the priest replied coldly.

“Still believe you can stop the inevitable?” The Fiend asked. Stephens just glared at the Fiend. The demon looked directly at Serena with a piercing gaze that froze her on the spot. She couldn’t turn away even though she wanted to more than anything, but it was like she were somehow paralysed.

“Well now, there’s someone I haven’t seen before,” he hissed. He licked his lips with his forked tongue. “Such a pretty little thing aren’t you? Oh how I would love to taste your soft flesh, feel your blood squirt as I rip your flesh off your bones!” Serena took a couple steps back, not believing what she saw.

“Aww, did I frighten you little girl?”the Fiend laughed. The laugh soon turned into a cough. “Well ripping your flesh would be the nicest thing I could do to you. I also wouldn’t mind ripping out your soul and eating it.” Again he licked his lips longingly.

“That’s enough demon!” Stephens spat. The Fiend glared at Stephens. “Don’t worry Serena, he can’t harm you at all, he’s too weak.”

“But I will get out Darren,” the Fiend said. “Oh yes, I will be free, and when I am, all hell will break loose!”

“Not if I have anything to say about it!” Stephens shouted. The Fiend cackled.

“You know as well as I do that my followers are coming. You must have seen my mark everywhere by now. My army is on the move. Soon I will be free and all of humanity will die!”

“Father Stephens, what is he talking about?” Serena asked.

“The murders are his followers doing,” Stephens replied. “We’ve been trying to locate them for years. We managed to take down some of them, but they’ve been in hiding ever since John Peters imprisoned the Fiend.” The Fiend laughed again.

“I remember Peters. He was lucky, ever since I fought that fool Judas I haven’t been quite myself.” he grinned. “But soon I’ll be out and then no one will stop me. I’ve corrected that problem now, thanks to centuries of reflection. Soon, all you know will be destroyed! Everyone you ever knew, everyone you ever loved, shall perish!” the Fiend chuckled evilly.

“Come Serena, we’re leaving.” Serena nodded and the two began to exit the chamber.

“Mark my words priest! I will be free and you will all die! You cannot stop what is inevitable!” the Fiend shouted after them. “And your pretty friend there will be among the first of my victims!” the sounds of his cackling echoed all around them. When they were out of the cave Serena collapsed on the ground, panting and sweating.

“That thing...why haven’t you killed it?” she looked up at Father Stephens.

“His punishment was to remain here for all eternity, to slowly starve to death. It takes centuries for a demon like him to fully starve to death. He is on his last limb. Soon he will die.” Stephens replied.

“But why not simply kill him?” she argued.

“Because Jesus himself wanted this punishment for him. When he was resurrected he greatly weakened the demon. He prophesied that he would die here, alone and starved. That he’ll have to live throughout the centuries with the knowledge that a human had best him. That a human had humiliated him by defeating him and trapping him here. He left the Fiend weakened and set out to tie up other loose ends of his.” Serena shook her head violently.

“He should’ve just been killed,” she said.

“That may be, but we have to trust in the Lord.” he said softly. “Come, let us check on your friend George.” He held out his hand to her. She shook her head and heaved herself off the ground. They stared at each other for a moment then began to return to the surface. Serena could still hear the Fiend laughing inside her mind.
****
George was awake when Serena and Father Stephens returned to the room. Doctor Andrews was busy changing the bandages on his right arm.

“The wound is healing well,” he stated.

“Thanks Doc,” George said weakly. He smiled at Serena as she rushed to his side, tears of joy streaming from her face. All thoughts of the Fiend had disappeared from her mind. She knelt beside him and grasped his hand.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“I’ve been better,” he replied gruffly. “What happened?” his gaze turned to Father Stephens. He glared at him.

“Hello George,” Father Stephens smiled. “It’s alright, I’m the one who brought you here. You’re safe now.” George’s face relaxed.

“Well um, thanks,” he said sheepishly. “So Serena, what happened? What is this place?” Serena wiped her face and began to explain everything she knew. She told him about the feral demon, the Order of the Holy Light, Buddha’s Fist and of the Fiend she had just seen. George remained silent, soaking it all in.

“That’s quite an interesting story,” he said when she finished. He stared up at the ceiling, lost in thought. He closed his eyes. When he didn’t reopen them Serena grew worried and touched his hand. His eyes opened and he smiled.

“Seems like we’ve stumbled onto something worse than normal crime eh Serena?” he chuckled. He turned to Father Stephens. “What do you want with us?” he asked.

“When you’re well enough you two will be free to leave,” Father Stephens replied. “However, we would ask that you stay awhile.”

“Why should we?” Serena asked crossing her arms. She wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible. She didn’t want to have anything to do with this. She just wanted to go home and forget that it had ever happened.

“You Serena are a very important person,” Stephens replied.

“What do you mean?”

“You bear the mark of the one who is destined to save us from the demons.” he indicated to the mark on the palm of her right hand. “You are God’s chosen instrument of his divine judgement upon the wicked. You are the Bellator Dei.”

“But how?” she asked. Her head began to buzz with hundreds, no thousands of questions. Her head fell into her hands as she tried to wrap her mind around what was being said. That can’t be true. But it must be. Is it true? Why me? Why me? Out of everyone why me? There’s nothing special about me. Maybe there is... No, it’s not true. But then what is the symbol? Serena felt like her head was going to explode. She yelled in frustration. Father Stephens put a hand on her shoulder which she pushed away.

“Get away from me!” she shouted. She ran from the room as fast as she could. She could hear Father Stephens calling out to her, but she didn’t care. She had to get away. To run, somewhere, anywhere. She had to escape, this was too much for her. She ran through the corridors, not knowing where she was going. It wasn’t until she stumbled upon an altar in a small circular room did she finally stop. The altar was a small wooden table with a white cloth draped over it. Two lone, white unlit candles sat upon either side of the altar. In the very centre of it was the very symbol that Serena bore on her hand. She gazed at it, unable to turn away. She reached out with her right hand and touched the symbol upon the altar. Both the symbol on the altar and the symbol on her palm began to glow brightly. She shielded her eyes from the blinding light.

Images began to flow into her mind. She could see the Fiend, he was unbound and at full strength. She witnessed him slaying people ruthlessly. Flames then engulfed her surroundings, the crackle loud in her ears. She saw the Great Monastery burning down, the screams of those inside could be heard. She saw George, Father Stephens, Li Yung and countless others dead at her feet. The Fiend’s cackle could be heard, ringing in her ears. The images began to fade away into the silence and nothingness. It was dark and she felt very alone and afraid. A light flickered in the distance, growing in intensity, seeming to be coming towards her. A lone figure stood before her. The light was too bright to make out who the silhouette was.

“This is what shall come to pass if you do not fight Serena. You must fight for the sake of your friends, family, for every man, woman and child. For if you do not, the Fiend shall rule all. Demons will run unchecked over the Earth, spreading their vile evils unopposed. You have been chosen as the Bellator Dei to prevent this. I believe in you Serena. You have the strength to do this. Believe in yourself and your friends. You must believe Serena. Do not let the Light fall to the Darkness.” The blinding light faded away, the voice echoing faintly. Serena gasped and looked around her. She was kneeling beside the altar. She looked at the palm of her hand, the symbol no longer glowed but was still visible on her hand. The sound of footsteps caused her to turn. Father Stephens stood at the entrance of the small room.

“You had a vision,” it was not a question, but a statement. His eyes examined her knowingly. All she could do was nod. “What you saw was meant for you and you alone.” Serena glanced at the symbol on her palm, then on the altar. She knew it was the symbol of the Bellator Dei. She didn’t know how she knew, she just did.

“Father Stephens, I’d like to begin training with you. I wish to join the Order of the Holy Light.” The two gazed at each other intensely.

“I can see that you are determined Serena.” Father Stephens said. “It seems the vision you had has changed your mind.”

“It only cleared my thoughts Father,” she replied.

“Then we shall begin your training in the morning.” He extended his hand towards her. This time she did not brush it off, she gripped him by the wrist and he helped her up. The two gazed into each others eyes, both determined to do what they could to stop the evil that was coming.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this taste of my story. When I get feedback I may post more