Status: This story is a work in progress. I will post more depending on the feedback

Heaven and Hell

Demon's Bane and Divine Retribution

Serena stood in the garden of the Great Monastery alone, waiting for Li Yung. She looked at her watch and noticed he was five minutes late, quite unlike him. It was the middle of the afternoon, the sun was shining brightly and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Over in the nearby tree a nest of birds could be heard singing their melodies. The rush of water flowing into the artificial pond could also be heard. Serena loved the gardens, it was her favourite place to spend time in at the Great Monastery. There were flowers of all sorts growing all around, trimmed hedges in various shapes, a horse, eagle, giraffe and even a Chinese dragon among them.

Li Yung finally began to approach her, dressed as always in his customary yellow robes and beaded necklace that hung loosely around his neck. He smiled and waved to her as he walked toward where she was standing. The two had been training together over the passed few weeks in the gardens on a large patch of grass where Serena now stood. He was teaching her mixed martial arts and she was picking up quite quickly.

Serena recalled the last session they had together two days ago, she had just learned a series of advanced judo throws. Today Li Yung was going to test her on her progress of those throws and everything else she had learned so far which included some muay tai, kung fu, karate, taekwondo, on top of judo. She was only learning various techniques of each style.
Normally, a new recruit would be trained in the various fighting styles of the Warrior’s Caste of the Order of the Holy Light, but Father Stephens thought she could learn much more by being trained by a member of Buddha’s Fist who were renowned for their unarmed combat fighting abilities. Many of the elite members, including Li Yung, could fight demons without any weapons.

Li Yung was near master level, a prodigy among mixed martial artists, uncommon in one so young. He was more than willing to teach her, the other members of the Fist of Buddha were more preoccupied with other things to take time to teach her. There were only twelve other members staying at the Monastery, each with important tasks. Serena didn’t know much about that, in fact, the only member she had talked with was standing right in front of her.

“Sorry I am late Miss Serena,” Li Yung apologized. “Father Stephens requested that you meet him in his study after you are finished training with me.” Serena nodded.

“Alright sounds good,” Serena replied.

“Begin your warm up stretches.” The two began to warm up like they always did before sparring. Serena let her mind wander and began reflecting over the events of the passed few weeks.

She had been studying in the evenings and sometimes late into the night about the Order of the Holy Light under Father Stephens insistence. She had learned a great deal about the Order’s history, hierarchy and various members of importance past and present. She had also researched into what the Bellator Dei was. Apparently she was not the first Bellator Dei to exist. There were six others before her. Throughout history God chose a new Bellator Dei to combat extreme threats from Hell. The last Bellator Dei brought an end to the Great Plague in the fourteenth century, that was caused by a very powerful demon.

Serena was also learning about demons from another member of the Order, Veronica Henslenger, one of the top leading experts on demons in the world. They met the day after Serena had the vision. She had classes with her twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays with the other initiates to the Order. Serena was one of the older students in the class, the ages ranging from 14 and up. The students were all initiates to the Order, most being related to one of the members. Very few people outside the Order were given the privilege of joining. In fact, very few outside the Order even knew of its existence.

Ms. Henslenger was strict, serious and highly knowledgeable about demons, but she was not unkind, just strict in her teaching methods. She demanded excellence from each of her students and enjoyed giving out long homework assignments.

When Serena wasn’t studying, in class, training or sparring she spent her time with George who was finally free of being stuck in the hospital ward, though his wounds weren’t all healed quite yet, but he was making a good recovery. They discovered that they were listed as missing in action and presumed dead by the police. Father Stephens insisted that secrecy was important so they weren’t allowed to contact anyone from their life, no family or friends were to know they were still alive, for if they knew what really happened or if they discovered what they were doing they would place their loved ones at risk of being used against them by the demons. Neither of them were happy about letting their loved ones believe they were dead, but if it was to keep them safe, they had no choice, the risk to them was too great. So they remained within the boundaries of the Great Monastery, knowing that their sacrifice was for the good of their loved ones. They still didn’t like it very much however.

Serena missed her family very much, particularly her sister Diane whom she had to take care of since her father had died when Serena was fifteen. Diane had only been twelve at the time and they had lived with their paternal grandparents. Their mother had left them shortly after Diane had been born and they never knew her side of the family.

Serena knew the three of them must really miss her, she certainly missed them greatly. Her grandmother wasn’t too keen on her in following her father’s footsteps and becoming a police officer like him and now she thinks she’s lost two people she loved in the line of duty...

“We will now check on your progress so far Miss Serena,” Li Yung said, snapping Serena back into the present. The two bowed to each other as a sign of respect. They each took their stances, the two gauging each other for points in which to strike. Serena’s mind became focussed, all thoughts blocked out, adrenaline beginning to pump as she tried to find a point of where to strike, or anticipate where Li Yung might strike. For what seemed like several minutes but was really several seconds Li Yung made the first strike, aiming for Serena’s stomach. She blocked his strike quickly and the fight had begun. The two moved rapidly, almost dancing around each other.

Serena was acting on instinct alone. She had never won any of her fights against Li Yung, they usually ended when she was pinned down or twice when she was knocked out. Over the passed few weeks their fights had become more intense, but Li Yung was just too strong. She enjoyed the challenge however and learned a great deal through sparring with him.

She ducked one of his punches aimed for her face, before she could do anything to counter, Li Yung pushed against her back and brought his knee up to her stomach, knocking the wind out of her. He shoved her to the ground and stepped back. Serena regained herself and stood back up. They each took another stance. Serena struck first this time, aiming for his stomach. Naturally he blocked, redirecting her arm to the side, leaving her overextended. His other arm came down in a chop to her side with enough force to knock her to the ground. Serena quickly rolled away from Li Yung and stood back up, but he was on her so fast she barely had time to block his blows. She was completly on the defensive. His strikes were becoming more and more aggressive until he finally broke through her defences and knocked her to the ground for a third time. This time he did not back off, she could not get away and he pinned her. Serena fought fiercely to break free, but knew it was futile. She eventually stopped struggling.

“Alright, you beat me again” she admitted begrudged. Li Yung released her and let her get back on her feet. The two were panting heavily, sweat dripping from their brows.

“You fought very well Miss Serena, you are showing great improvement,” Li Yung praised.
“But I still can’t beat you,”she muttered.

“For one who has been training such a short time you have progressed very far. It won’t be long before you are ready to test your skills against real adversaries,” Li Yung smiled. He knelt down on his knees and closed his eyes. Serena followed suit and they began their meditation exercise. After each sparring match they would sit and meditate for about fifteen minutes. Li Yung said that it helped rejuvenate the body, which Serena agreed, she always felt refreshed afterwards. She let her mind go blank and steadied her breathing as she focussed on her inner energy known as chi. According to the Chinese, chi is the life-force that permeates everything and links their surroundings together. Essentially it is the flow of energy in all living things.

“Miss Serena,” a voice called to her from what seemed like a vast distance. Serena came out of her trance like state and blinked at the world around her. She felt like she had just been woken up from a nap. The sun shone in her eyes, causing them to tear up slightly. Li Yung sat facing her.

“This concludes today’s lesson,” he said. “You are making remarkable progress in your training Miss Serena.” he beamed at her.

“I guess I should go see Father Stephens now,” Serena said getting up. Li Yung nodded but did not get up. He placed his right fist in the open palm of his left hand and bowed his head.

“Take care Miss Serena.”

“And you Shifu Li Yung.” Serena returned the bow and headed back into the Monastery. Once in the Monastery she headed up to the third floor and to Father Stephens’s study. She knocked on the door and waited for the priest to answer. From inside she heard movement and a moment later the door opened revealing the priest. He looked exhausted, as if he had been up all night. Dark circles were under his bloodshot eyes, his eyelids looked heavy. His thin hair was also a tangled mess as though he had been running his hands through it several times trying to pull it out. He smiled but it appeared strained like it took him a lot of effort to do so, and gestured her inside.

“Have a seat Serena I’ll be with you in a moment,” he said as he disappeared into the back room. She could hear him rummaging through his things and muttering to himself. There was a loud bang! and a few loud curses.

“I’m fine!” he called from the back room. The sound of rummaging continued as well as the priest muttering in what sounded like Latin.

Serena glanced around, the study looked the same as it always did. It was a small rectangular room, most of the wall space was taken up by the priest’s bookshelves lined with hundreds of different books ranging from various versions of the bible, ancient scrolls, books of demons, myths and legends, records and histories of the Order of the Holy Light and several that were in Latin that she couldn’t decipher.

In the centre of the room was a large wooden desk with paper and books cluttering the surface. Some of the books were open, others closed and stacked in a small pile. There was a computer on the desk as well, the monitor facing away from Serena.

She took a seat in one of the two chairs that sat on her side of the desk, the third reserved only for Father Stephens when he was sitting at his desk. To Serena’s left was a small window that overlooked the gardens. She could see Li Yung practising his martial arts alone. She watched him perform a series of complex manoeuvres on imaginary foes until she heard Father Stephens clear his throat. He had returned from the back room with a square metal case in his hand.

“I think you are finally ready to receive these Serena,” he said as he sat the case upon the desk. He pulled a small key from his pocket and unlocked it. He opened the case and turned it so Serena could see a pair of silver looking handguns that shimmered in the light. She had never seen anything like them. Father Stephens picked one up and handed it to her. She inspected the weapon and noticed that it was inscribed on both sides of the barrel with the same symbol that was on her hand. Beside each symbol, going up the barrel was the words Demon’s Bane. Serena picked up the other gun and noticed it had the same symbol as the other but had Divine Retribution written on it.

“These guns were specially made for the Bellator Dei, should one ever be needed,” Stephens explained.

“They’re beautiful,” Serena breathed. “What do they use for bullets?”

“They don’t.” Serena looked at Father Stephens perplexed.

“Then how am I supposed to use them?” she asked slowly.

“You will use the power that God has bestowed upon you,” Father Stephens answered as though it was obvious. Serena stared at him as though he was nuts.

“I don’t have any powers Father Stephens,” she scoffed.

“Of course you do my dear,” he replied. He picked up one of the books on his desk and read:
The Bellator Dei is blessed with several abilities. He/she is said to have increased strength, endurance and reflexes, giving him/her a fighting chance against demons. Furthermore the Bellator Dei is able to use his/her own energy with specially made weapons made in the Genesis Forge, the Forge responsible for making the Judgement Hilt and the Smiting Bow, both of which were used by various Bellator Dei throughout history. When energy is channelled through the Judgement Hilt it will become any melee weapon the wielder desires whereas the Smiting Bow is used to channel arrows of light to smite the wicked.

As the centuries passed we of the Order of the Holy Light have finally decided that more modern type weapons should be forged, in case a new Bellator Dei was ever chosen. Thus Divine Retribution and Demon’s Bane were born. These twin guns use the energy of the Bellator Dei to create a near endless supply of bullets, similar to that of the Smiting Bow’s arrows.” Father Stephens closed the book and set it back on the desk.

“And how exactly am I supposed to turn my energy into bullets?” she asked.

“Quite simply actually. All you have to do is focus your energy, or your chi as you have come to think of it and you’ll be able to fire as many bullets as you have chi,” Stephens explained. Something on his computer beeped, Father Stephens turned his attention to the source and he began to typing away at his computer.

Without really even thinking Serena began to focus on her chi as it flowed through her. She could feel the chi flowing into the guns. Curious, she aimed Demon’s Bane at a bare wall behind Father Stephens and pulled the trigger. There was a loud BANG! and a smoking scorch mark was left on the wall. Father Stephens nearly jumped to the ceiling as the unexpected noise startled him. He had a knife drawn as he looked around and saw that there was no immediate danger.

“Did you really have to do that here?!” he shouted angrily. Serena smiled sheepishly and lowered the gun.

“I just wanted to see if it worked,” she replied. “I’m sorry,” she added. Father Stephens sighed and shook his head irritably.

“Well now you know it works Serena,” he sighed. “Now there is one other reason I called you here.” he sheathed his small blade behind him.

Before he could elaborate more, the door flew open and three people with weapons drawn burst into the room, four more waited outside. A woman was in the lead, who Serena recognized instantly as Maria Hunter, head of the Monastery Security Force. They were all dressed similar to Father Stephens, except they had white on the sides of their robes instead of the customary all black or grey garb. They also had a badge on their left arm with the letters MSF on it. All of them had guns in hand and were looking around as if expecting a threat.

“We heard gunfire Darren what’s happened?” Maria asked demandingly with a heavy Irish accent.

“It was nothing Maria, just a little misfire,” he glared over at Serena. Maria glanced from Father Stephens to Serena and back again. Her hardened face relaxed and she brushed her fiery red hair out of her face.

“Alright boys, it appears that our Bellator Dei had an accidental misfire,” the men with her lowered their weapons. She turned to Serena and yelled “Look here missy, you may be the chosen one but I will not tolerate any weapons fire on my watch, is that clear?”

“Yes ma’am.” Serena replied. “It won’t happen again.”

“Good, I’m glad to hear it, lets go men!”

“A moment before you go if you please Maria,” Father Stephens said.
“What is it Darren?” she snapped.

“I need to talk with you, alone if you don’t mind.” Maria raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“What you have to say to me can be said in front of my men.”

“No I’m afraid it can’t Maria, it’s classified information.” Stephens replied cooly. Maria raised her eyebrow again and began chewing on her tongue.

“Fine have it your way then” she said at last. “Dismissed boys.” she waved her officers away. They saluted and marched off. Father Stephens walked over to the door and closed it. He gestured for Maria to sit down but she shook her head. She stayed where she was, arms folded with an impatient look on her face.

“I need a favour from you Maria,” Stephens began.

“Depends on what it is.”

“I am sending Serena on an assignment and I’d like you and Li Yung to go with her. I’ll also be sending three of my warriors from the Warrior’s Caste with you.”

“You want me to babysit?” she scolded. “I have more important things to do Darren! It’s not even my duty to go out into the field anymore!”

“I’m not a child!” Serena snapped.

“Well you could’ve fooled me!”

“Enough both of you!” Stephens shouted, silencing their argument.“I am well aware of your duties Maria, but I assure you this is of the utmost importance. This order comes from Cardinal himself.” Maria’s jaw dropped.

“The Cardinal? Are you sure?” she asked. Serena to, was surprised. The Cardinal was the man in charge of the Great Monastery. He was one of the four highest members of the Order of the Holy Light and leader of the Western Branch. He rarely showed himself and few knew what his real name was. Most referred to him as the Cardinal.

“Yes I’m quite sure. We talked last night on the secure channel and the coordinates for where you need to go were just sent moments ago.” he replied.

“Alright, where are we going Darren?”

“You are going to New York City. There have been strange sightings and disappearances in Central Park that need investigating.”

“What do the reports say about the sightings?” Serena asked.

“At night eyewitnesses report seeing a large hulking creature lurking in the shadows, while others report seeing a child, a little girl in a white dress at the corner of their eye, but when they look she is nowhere to be seen.”

“Could the hulking creature be a bear or some other animal? Maybe a zoo animal that escaped?” Maria suggested.

“Possibly the former but the latter reports no animals have escaped the zoo.”
“What about the girl, what could she be?” asked Serena. “Could the two possibly be linked together?” Father Stephens scratched his head as he thought.

“It could be possible,” he said slowly.

“Do you think we should consult Veronica Henslenger on this?” Maria suggested.
“That might be best Maria,” Stephens replied. “Serena you go have a chat with Ms. Henslenger and Maria you should prep the Archangel for take off.” Maria nodded and saluted.

“What about Li Yung?” Serena asked.

“I will inform his superiors that he will be accompanying you on this mission.” he answered.

****
After ten minutes of searching Serena had finally found Ms. Henslenger in the cafeteria enjoying her afternoon tea. The cafeteria was one of the largest rooms in the Great Monastery, but also the least decorated. It was rather dull compared to the rest of the Monastery. There were four rows of long tables that stretched the length of the room. At this time of day there weren’t usually many people sitting at these tables, the lunch rush long passed. The hustle and bustle inside the kitchen could be heard though, as the cooks prepared for the dinner rush, the smell of food beginning to waft through the air.

Serena’s footsteps echoed as she approached Ms. Henslenger who was sitting alone sipping some tea while reading a book. Unlike most people in the Monastery, she did not wear a robe. Instead she was wearing an open, navy blue blouse with red pin striping and a red camisole underneath. Her long blonde hair was tied back into a bun. Her glasses were at the edge of her nose as she continued reading. Only when Serena sat down in front of her did she look up from her book.

“Yes Serena what would you like?”she asked.

“Father Stephens is sending me on a mission,” Serena began.

“And you need information on a demon right?” she asked. Serena nodded. Ms. Henslenger picked up her bookmark and closed her book and set it aside. Serena got a quick glance at it and noticed she was reading about the Salem Witch Hunt. Ms. Henslenger pushed her glasses up on her face and folded her hand on the table.

“Okay tell me what you know.” she said. She listened as Serena explained the sightings of the hulking figure and of the strange girl that were reported and of the strange disappearances.

“Have any of the victims turned up?” she asked when Serena had finished.

“Not that we know of,” Serena replied. Ms. Henslenger began tapping her fingers on the table lost in thought, her false red painted nails rapping repeatedly.

“Has anyone had a clear visual on either?”

“No, but we know the girl wears a white dress.”

“A white dress...”her voice trailed off. She glanced at her book and her eyes widened. She picked it up and started glancing through it until she seemed to have found what she was looking for. She muttered to herself, her green eyes darting from side to side at a rapid pace.
“I think you might possibly be dealing with a witch,” she announced.

“Are you sure?”

“No not completly, but based on the information you gave me you may well be witch hunting Serena,” Ms. Henslenger replied gravely. “It’s either that or it’s just a feral demon, but it wouldn’t explain the girl unless she’s a Greater Demon. They love to take human form so they can blend in better with us, but I’ve never heard of one that takes the form of a child...but I suppose it is possible...” her voice trailed off.

“So any advice as to how we should proceed?”

“If it’s a witch be careful, they can be tricky. But they’re still human and have human weaknesses,” Ms Henslenger answered. “However they have been known to control animals, demons, and even people through their dark magic.”

“Are there anyways to break the spells?”

“Kill the witch. Or at least knock her out. But some spells can’t be stopped once they’ve been cast.” she glanced through her book again. “Fire is also very effective against witches. That’s why they were burned at the stake back in the seventeenth century.”

“And if I’m facing a Greater Demon?” Serena asked, dreading the answer as she pictured the Fiend in her mind. She shuddered slightly.

“If you face a Greater Demon then God help you Serena Johnson.” Serena felt a lump forming in her throat, but she was determined to succeed in her first mission, no matter what. She stood up, thanked Ms. Henslenger and proceeded to the lower levels where the Archangel was.

Serena had only seen the Archangel once, it was one of the places Father Stephens had shown her shortly after deciding to join the Order. It was deep below the Monastery, but not quite as deep as the Fiend’s prison. The Archangel was a custom made jet. Father Stephens had said it was state of the art and there was no other jet like it, or any that could match its speed and manoeuverability. It was sleek and grey, equipped with a variety of weapons to help ward of any attacks from demons and enemy planes alike. It could comfortably seat a up to a dozen people. On the sides of the Archangel, written in shining gold lettering was its name.

The Archangel was on a slant upwards facing a long tunnel to the surface in which a trapdoor would open and the jet would shoot out into the sky, or so Serena had been told, she had yet to go up in it. She knew this would be her chance to.

The hangar was alive with activity, many people were rushing around preparing for takeoff. Mechanics were doing last minute inspections to the jet, nearby there were several people on computers monitoring the skies above making sure all was clear, many talking in headsets or compiling the information together.

Serena spotted Maria speaking with a man she didn’t recognize but he wore the same kind of outfit as Father Stephens, including the gloves with the cross on them. He appeared to be a fair bit younger than him as his hair wasn’t thinning and was dark black. She strolled over and caught a bit of their conversation.

“...is still not trained, I doubt she’ll make it through this mission alive.” Maria said.
“Well I guess we’ll have to find out then, but I’m betting she dies,” the man replied. He stroked his black goatee. “I doubt she’s even the Bellator Dei, Father Stephens is probably mistaken.”

“Yeah she doesn’t look like much. And I have to babysit her!” Maria grumbled and kicked a nearby chair which fell to the floor. Maria cursed as she bent over to pick it up, she noticed Serena’s approach. “Well, if it isn’t the great Bellator Dei coming to grace us with her presence,” she mocked. The man next to her snorted. Serena glared at the pair of them. She was eager to show them up and prove she deserved to be there, even though she wasn’t all that certain herself.

“Yeah I’m here. You know, it’s a public place, you shouldn’t bend over for your boyfriend here,” she replied, knowing she probably shouldn’t have further agitated Maria but she didn’t tolerate people insulting her behind her back.

“You prissy little bitch!” Maria snapped, her face turning as red as her hair. “You think you’re all high and mighty because you’re the supposed “chosen one”! You’re nothing more than Stephens little slut!” Serena’s fist clenched but she felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Father Stephens and Li Yung, the former with his hand on her shoulder. He shook his head wearily.

“This is not the way teammates should behave, especially before a crucial mission where you will need to depend on each other greatly.” he said. He glared at Maria, who glared back. “You ought to know better Maria.” Maria opened her mouth to protest but Stephens raised a gloved hand to silence her.

“I don’t want to hear it Maria and I would very much like it if you kept your opinions and your temper to yourself. As for you Serena, I expect you not to provoke those who are seeking to get a reaction out of you.” Serena nodded, feeling like a child being scolded by a parent. Maria just rolled her eyes. A short portly man came over to them wearing the blue uniform of a maintenance worker.

“The Archangel is ready for take off whenever you are,” he said.

“Thank you Carlos, that will be all,” Stephens said. Carlos nodded and meandered away. Father Stephens led the way to the Archangel. Once at the foot of the loading ramp he stopped and turned to the other four.

“Alright Serena, you will discuss with your crew of what you suspect you are dealing with,” he said. Serena nodded and explained Ms. Henslenger’s opinions were. Maria swore out loud.

“A witch! A God damn witch! Are you kidding me?!” she exclaimed. Serena shook her head.

“There hasn’t been a witch sighting in this area for over forty years” Maria’s friend Dalton said. He had gone pale and looked as though he was going to be sick. Li Yung kept his face neutral.

“We will prevail,” he said confidently. Serena took a deep breath portrayed a confidence she did not entirely feel.

“I agree with Li Yung. Witches have the same weaknesses as we do. We will find her and eliminate her in the name of God and the Order of the Holy Light.”

“We ain’t going to accomplish anything by standing around here, lets go!” Maria said. They boarded the jet, Father Stephens wishing them luck as he stepped back. Serena climbed in her seat, Li Yung beside her. She noticed two other members of the Warrior’s Caste already seated in the Archangel. She recognized the man as Rene, who had taken the copilot’s seat. Maria had hopped into the pilot’s seat next to him. The other person, a woman named Colleen sat in front of Serena and Li Yung, she appeared to be asleep. After everyone had sat down and buckled up, they were clear for takeoff. The humming of the engines could be heard as they powered on.

“And we’re off!” Maria exclaimed as the Archangel shot up the long tunnel. Serena looked out the window next to her, but all she could see was a blur. The Archangel gained speed at an incredible rate and before they knew it they had shot out of the trapdoor faster than a bullet fired from a gun. They gained altitude rapidly until finally levelling out and heading towards New York City.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry haven't posted in awhile, hope you enjoy chapter 5, it sets up the plot to advance, introduces some new characters and adds abit of history to my story.