Status: In Progress, Please Comment!

Mozart, Metallica, and Me...Wynnie

Don't Collapse Your Wrist...

"Wynnie." My brother smiled, giving me a quick hug before turning to his fiancee whom he hadn't seen in months. I suppose, in that sense, it was justified. Fiancees are a little more important than family, they're the ones you intend to make a family with, right? And, immediate family is always more important. That's what I think, at least.

I smiled and watched their exchange. I usually don't meet him at the airport. I wouldn't had my parents not been away on a mid-life (end of life, in my opinion) crisis vacation with each other. But, they were gone and they were officially kicking me out of the house. I'd finished college and it was time to move out, according to my parents.

I was always the good kid, I finished school and I never broke the rules my parents laid down for me unless my opinion was swayed by my brother. Even he was pretty well-behaved, because my parents were considerably lenient with their rules.

But, I was home practicing piano when my brother went to hang out with his friends and tried his luck with a handful of bands. He'd learned guitar sometime in his life and I was proud of him for that as well as all of his other accomplishments.

I just wish I had the guts he did.

But, I can hardly even speak.

So, I just stick to my piano and my violin, which my brother had taught me when I was only six and he was eleven. I still remember that…

"Come on, Bronwyn!" He sighed in frustration, "Don't collapse your wrist like that."

I stuck my tongue out at him and tried to fix my posture.

"Okay, now, lightly draw--lightly, Wynnie, lightly, not like a man hacking down a tree with a chainsaw!"

At that I erupted into silent giggles. His eyes brightened mischievously.

"Oh, you think that's funny, Bronwyn, do ya?" He grinned. "Well, I'll show you funny!"

I squealed happily and ran away from him as he tried to chase me down to tickle me.

I ran in between my mom's legs as she made dinner. She laughed.

"Kids! Go play in the basement! The kitchen isn't the place to play tag!"

I nodded with a smile before squeaking again in surprise when my brother lifted me up, clumsily like any eleven year-old who was picking someone up who was a good half of their weight.


"Mom tells me you played in the concert hall back home before you left." I hadn't realized my brother was speaking to me again and I shook my head from the memory to nod.

"She was amazing!" Sammi moaned, "I went to help her move out and I got to see her. You missed an amazing show! I wish I had that talent!"

I blushed, it wasn't true. My brother's fiancee was ten times more talented than I could ever hope to be.

"You've got a new job down here, right?" He pressed, voice laced with concern. I'd be living with him until my apartment was finalized, which was only a day or two more as Sammi and I had spent the last week, when she came home from her multiple jobs and activities, searching for an apartment I could afford.

"Mhmm." I nodded.

He seemed relieved with my answer.

"Wynnie is working for Suicide Girls." Sammi winked at me. "She's their newbie."

I blushed and looked at the ground.

"Oh, Christ…" I heard my brother mutter.

"Oh shut it!" I could hear the frown in her voice.

"No, I didn't mean she can't, she's twenty-four, I can't control her decisions." I looked back up at him. "I'm happy for you, Wynnie."

I smiled.

"Come on, let's get my luggage and get back to the car." He motioned us towards the luggage carousels. "I want to be able to talk to my sister again, and she's being quiet." He teased lightly.

I opened my mouth but shut it again, growing nervous.

"I'm kidding, Wynn." He assured, "I know you can't help it. I'm your brother." He reminded with a smile.

I'm not mute. People think I am. Realistically, I take longer than most people to open up to social situations, and I haven't been in an airport frequently enough or long enough to open up to it. I'm selectively mute, and I try to work through it, I really do. It's just…it's scary,

I nodded and followed him and Sammi to the luggage carousel.

"Hey, Jinxx, man," I still wasn't used to seeing CC when I did visit my brother, which was hardly often. He'd been in the band long enough that I should have, but I'm not. He scares me a lot, always trying to get me to talk even though Jeremy emphasizes that he should just leave me to adjust. "I'll see you in a few days for practice?"

I think it's weird that they still have practices…but I guess practice makes perfect? I wouldn't know. I think if I had to deal with people on a small bus for infinite amounts of time I'd probably fuck practice and just take a break.

A few days isn't a break.

"And Ashley wants to throw a 'welcome home' party tomorrow." He mentioned.

"I can't, I'm helping Wynn move into her new apartment." He shrugged. I bit my lip, wanting to communicate that he could go, I can move in myself like a big girl.

But, I don't want CC to think I'm a stupid little girl. Jinxx already made it seem like I'm perfectly incapable of handling myself without him or my parents, and it's only been like a minute.

It's not just CC, I get this way with everyone. And now he's going to tell the other guys and they're all going to talk about me.

I didn't realize I was trembling until Sammi put her arm around my shoulders. I like her, she's a nice person, a good friend. I don't really have friends, so I guess she's like…the closest thing I have to one.

"Hey, Wynnie." CC grinned. "Good to see you here, and now you're here for good, which is awesome." He looked back at Jinxx, "I'll help her, too, if you want. Or I could just do it. The others are spending most of tomorrow before the party with their girls and I guess you and Sammi want a break. I mean many hands make light work and all, or I could just help her, it wouldn't take longer than if you were just helping her."

I…that didn't make sense…

I looked at Jinxx, wide-eyed. He made eye contact with my out of the corner of his eye before nodding. I took a breath with a small squeak, which I guess CC didn't hear.

"Cool, just text me when and where and shit." He nodded and took off.

I followed Sammi and Jinxx out to the car.

"Why would you do that?" I asked as he closed the door. He looked into the rearview mirror before realizing he was in the passengers seat and could just turn around.

"You need to work through this, Wynnie." He smiled sympathetically. "Come on, you're twenty-four. You're fresh out of college with a masters degree and it's time you let loose a little." I bit my lip. "I know, I'm quiet too, and people want to hear what you have to say. And, CC, he talks too much anyhow, so you won't even need to talk! Just smile and nod."

I laughed and shook my head, nerves still eating at me.

"And Sammi and I will be there the whole time." He promised.

***

"You're leaving me with him?" I whimpered pathetically.

"We'll be right back to get you for the party." Sammi promised, "I need to get some things and I'm just taking him home so he can sleep some more." She nodded to my brother. "CC probably will leave right after he gets the piano bench from the truck." She rationalized, "It won't be long."

I watched her leave down the hall, absolutely scared shitless by the idea of being alone with my brother's drummer.

"Two-bedroom apartment with one bedroom." CC nodded, looking around.

I shrugged. I'd taken the second bedroom for my music. It had three walls inside my apartment, and it was the only room without a wall bordering another apartment. So, I deemed it the piano room. He hadn't been in there when we set it up, Sammi and Jinxx had helped me with that. But, the piano bench was the last thing in the truck, so he'd be entering my domain soon.

"I'm going to make you talk one day." He said, determination in his voice.

I smiled nervously.

"Okay, let me go get that chair or whatever it is that bastard left me to get." He joked and left the room. It took ten minutes before he came back. I spent it nervously standing by the door, getting antsy for him to leave. "Where do you want this?" His voice snapped me out of my nervous habit of biting my lip and I led the way. "Am I following you?" I didn't respond, but I nodded. He followed.

"Music room, cute." He commented at last. It wasn't a far walk, my apartment was considerably small. I nodded. "You anything like your brother?" I shrugged. "I bet you're better, the quiet ones are always amazing, always the ones you need to look out for." He chuckled, giving the room a once-over. "Jinxx never said you play drums." He commented, nodding to the small kit in the corner.

"I don't really." I whispered. He turned back to me. There was an awkward silence. I just ruined ever being able to speak in front of him ever again. He thinks I'm retarded. Oh my God...

"You have a pretty voice, I don't know why you don't use it." He smiled and I relaxed a bit before he turned back to the kit. "It's cute, pretty average." I hate when musicians put down your equipment just because they specialize in a certain department. It happens all of the time in college. "Why do you have it if you don't play?"

"Instruments find me." I shrugged, still speaking softly and nervously staring the bass drum down to avoid looking at the drummer's face. "And I figured I'd pick it up sometime."

"I can teach you." He offered. "Though, if you're like your brother you'll learn it and then be fucking amazing within a week."

I laughed awkwardly and shook my head.

"Can I hear something? Please?" He whined.

I pressed my lips together and closed my eyes.

"I heard what Sammi said about the concert, so don't say you have stage fright, please? I want to listen."

I shook my head.

"Come on, Wynnie, something short?"

"Your so childish." I whispered, eyes still closed.

"Only the third thing you've ever said to me and you're already insulting me." He laughed, "Thanks."

I immediately felt guilty and opened my eyes, looking at him apologetically.

"Oh, I'm kidding." He assured. "I just want to hear one thing."

We stood there for what felt like an hour before I moved the piano bench out an inch. He punched the air in accomplishment.

I sat down and looked at him expectantly.

"Play anything." He shrugged with a sheepish grin, "I kinda made you play, you can choose the song."

I brushed my fingers over the keys and thought of something.

And I figured why not go with something short and simple and that he actually knows.

It didn't take me more than a few seconds to finish the section of the song that was actually on piano and I added a little melody in my right hand at the end.

"Was that Coffin?" He asked. I nodded. "I like your version better, it's prettier." He smiled. "Jinxx could take lessons from you. Did he teach you that?"

"I just…I just played it." I bit my lip nervously.

"Off the top of your head?!" He shrieked, amazed.

"It's called ear training," Jinxx was leaning against the door frame. I hadn't even heard him come in. "And Wynnie's amazing at it."

I blushed and looked down at the keys.

"You ready for the party?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Let me just go get my stuff."

"And get changed." Sammi grabbed my wrist as I left. "You're not going in jeans and a t-shirt. Come on, Wynn, time to wear a skirt!"

I squeaked.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story...comment? Pwease?