Bonds of Time

Chapter 2

Sherlock Holmes was sitting opposite Giselle Elmer, his fingers drumming on the armchair’s arm.

“I’m still not quite sure if I believe you or not.” He said.

She looked up from her phone and sighed.

“I know it sounds ridiculous, but I’m not lying.”

She put down the phone on the table.

“Tell you what, why don’t you analyse me and see what conclusion you can come up with? You’ll see that I’m telling the truth.” She said as she crossed her arms and legs. Her lip twitched as if she was about to smile when he leaned forward and drunk in her appearance.

“Let’s see, you’re nervous. You’re either afraid that I’m about to catch you in a lie or reach the wrong conclusion. Your hair colour, its’ fake. The natural colour is lighter. Your nails are painted. And your clothes are in very good condition. However, the slight discolouration at the end of the left sleeve shows that they’re not new. They’re also industrially produced; the name of the factory was visible on the back pocket. I’m inclined to believe that you’re vain.”
He stopped and scratched his chin slightly, his eyes roving over her hands.

“You’re a scholar, studying sciences, I believe. I dare say that you love science; you were smiling slightly when you saw my elements’ list. You know how to write, and therefore how to read. You’ve also written something today; you have ink stains on your right index finger which also shows that you’re right handed. Slight yellow staining of the right hand fingers, you smoke. You’re confident, I could gather that much from the way you speak and I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re also ambitious. That being said, you’d have no time for relationships and I wouldn’t be surprised to find some selfish characteristics.”
His eyes shifted back to her face.

“ Red mark on the cheeks in the shape of a hand, you’ve been in a fight today and ended being slapped. Odd person, very odd; hair is cut in a way I’ve never seen, clothes are alien and you have strange contraptions. The idea that you belong to another time, although farfetched, is plausible.”

She nodded.

“Yes, you got everything right.”

“Interesting conception, I wonder, would you mind telling me of the advances the world made? What year did you say you’re from?” he said as he took his pipe and put it in his mouth.

“Two thousand and twelve.”

“Quite the age gap.” He said, as he extinguished the match he had used.
She rubbed the back of her neck.

Somehow Sherlock didn’t strike her as the type to be content with few details, so she decided to speak about something that she was familiar with.

“Has the DNA been discovered yet? The substance found in a cell’s nucleus?”

“Ah, nuclein. I knew that Swiss scientist was on to some great discovery. Please, carry on.” He said as he settled back in his armchair, smoking the tobacco in his pipe.

She knew it was going to be one long talk.

***

Giselle couldn’t say how she had ended up discussing DNA Profiling with Sherlock Holmes, or how it helps investigations, or about the first case that was solved using this technique.

However, what she could say was that she was pleased that she managed to impress him. She looked out of the window, as Holmes was ruminating over what she had said about the DNA Profiling being also used as paternity testing, to see that the sky had darkened considerably.

“It’s getting late. Thank you, Mr Holmes for your hospitality. I’m sorry for imposing. Is it possible if you could give me the directions for the nearest convent or nunnery?” She said as she stood up. He blinked as he came out of his reverie and put down his pipe.

“The nearest is in Lisson Grove. But it is too far to walk safely in the evening.” He replied as he stood up and went to the window overlooking the street.

“Well, I have to spend the night somewhere. Better in a nunnery than outside.”

“You do know you’re going to be followed, I presume?” he said as he turned to look at her, hands behind his back.

“Followed? You mean to say he’s still waiting outside?” she said as she stood up and walked over to the window as best she could, considering the several obstacles in her way.
“Yes, and he doesn’t look very pleased, does he?”

“Is there a back door I can use? Or maybe a window I can climb out of without being seen?”
“You’ll have to pass by him to get to the Convent of Mercy, madam. And seeing as almost everyone is safely at home, as is customary, he’d assume that the lone person walking down the street, whatever the disguise, would be you.”

“Great.” She muttered sarcastically as she peered out of the window again, shrinking back in the shadows as he looked up.

“Besides, it seems as if I’ve earned enemies during the course of my career. And seeing as you’re my ‘cousin’, I’m afraid that you’d be targeted just as much as me, if not more.”
Her mouth dropped open in surprise.

”Me? But, I mean he can’t be after me because of you. At least he wasn’t. If he he’s in a gang that’s after you than, well....then I don’t know.”

“Quite, so my dear lady. Only one way to know, we ask Watson whether he saw anything unusual. Until then, I suggest you stay where it is safest; here.”

She stared at him, until she realised, coughed uncomfortably and turned, sitting back in the armchair as his eyes followed her every movement.

“I’m really so sorry for intruding, Mr Holmes.” She sighed.

He narrowed his eyes as he observed the uncomfortable young woman in his rooms.

She wasn’t very tall, had a slim physique and her features were very delicate.

Her sharp eyes were a bluish grey, the colour of the sea during a storm. He wondered what secrets she kept hidden behind her piercing eyes.

Her lips were a light pink and looked as soft as petals.

And her satin like blonde hair hung in soft curly ribbons around her heart shaped face.

Usually he wouldn’t have allowed a stranger in his rooms. But there was something intriguing in her, in her personality, in her claiming of belonging to another time.

He wondered what it was, what challenge she was about to offer.

Without a word to the distressed woman, he hurried towards the door, a pair of grey eyes following him as an empty ink bottle fell to the floor.

He picked up his coat and hat and hurried down the stairs, banging the door behind him.
Giselle sighed as her head dropped in her hands.

“Now what am I going to do?” she whispered to herself.

***

The air was cool and refreshing against Sherlock’s cheeks and senses.

Usually, in such a situation, he would have gone to the boxing ring, however, this night he preferred the solitude of London’s almost completely deserted streets. It helped a lot in clearing his cluttered mind.

He wondered; had the young woman, currently alone in his rooms, been sent there by someone? Or was she telling the truth?

While she was talking, he couldn’t detect any signs of lying. She was either telling the truth or was a very good actress. That thought brought unbidden memories to his mind, and he grimaced as the face of another woman drifted into his head.
Was he dealing another Irene Adler?

If so he had been most unwise in leaving her alone in his rooms. In fact, the best course of action would have been to leave her to her own devices in the streets. On the other hand, if she proved to be innocent...and at that moment his train of thought faded away.

There was no denying it; Giselle Elmer was intelligent, courageous and bright. He could gather that much when she was talking.

And he was waiting for Watson to tell him that he would stop taking part in their investigations. He knew that that would be a blow for him.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t confident enough to continue his line of work alone; far from it.
But, as much as it pained him to admit it, two heads were better than one. And it was always much better and safer to work as a duo.

What if he trained her to take Watson’s place when he stopped taking part in detective work? That is, if indeed she was as she claimed to be.

He stopped and turned his way back to the building he had just left.
He knew what he was going to do.

He was going to observe her, pass her through tests to see whether she was there to deceive him. If she passed, he was going to make her his assistant in the cases he chose.
And this time, he would not let his emotions blind him.

A small smile played on his lips as he opened the door and jogged up the stairs.
If she worked with him, the price for his services would not decrease, and life would go unhindered.

He opened the door and walked back inside to where he had left her. Giselle was sitting on the rug by the fire. Her legs were curled beneath her and Gladstone was asleep beside her. Her hand was resting lightly on his head, and she was leaning against the armchair, fast asleep.
Her blonde hair was partly covering her face and her cheeks had a pinkish tinge. Her lips were slightly parted as she breathed softly. She looked so vulnerable; curled up against the armchair and asleep. He frowned; it seemed as if it would not be as unhindered as he first thought.

Well, at the very least he’d still be able to pay rent for his home.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is it people. Holmes's first deductions about Giselle. I couldn't resist. He's quite flummoxed by her claims, isn't he?
Anyway, I want to thank
IXamXaXLoser
JustThinking
Dasjuden
for their support and lovely comments. Thanks a lot! They really mean a lot to me!!
Comment? Please? (Or I'll set Holmes after you :p ).