Bloom

Snow Globes and Sandy Blonde Hair

For being such a such a societal deviant, Amy had a relatively normal job. That is, if you overlooked a couple of small details. Maybe the building, for example. Amy ushered me into a country store right next to the first beach ramp on the island. It wasn't much to look at; it was merely an enlarged wooden shack. The hand-painted sign out front read 'Amelia Cove.' It was decorated with bright colors and various sea animals, seeming to fit in with the landscape. When both of us settled into the building, it was as if she had overlooked our dispute; she wasn't being friendly, or cold, just indifferent.

She hummed a tune I couldn't identify while working around the store, turning lights on, opening freezers, and tidying where it was necessary. "The same guy who sold me my house got me this job. If he or anyone else comes in, you should say you're a friend from out of town."

"You're keeping me all to yourself?"

"More like keeping you from getting dirty looks. They're not exactly fond of your father."

Amy's speech was curt and she never made eye contact; instead, she flipped the sign on the door from 'Closed' to 'Open.' Her mannerisms and the way she acted like I was a criminal was starting to take its toll. I tried to keep my emotions in check and remind myself that I didn't even like my father before I went about chewing her out. Before I could muster up another argument, she was saved by the first customer of the day. He happened to be a man that didn't seem to know Amy.

She ran behind the counter nonetheless. "Hi there! May I help you?"

The short, stout man smiled sheepishly back at her. "You have tents here, no?" he asked in an accent I couldn't quite identify.

Amy nodded and directed him toward the back of the store. She came back merely seconds later and tossed me a rag from her apron pocket. "Do me a favor and dust the snow globes!"

She then proceeded to run away before I even got a chance to object. I weaved through the store for awhile, making a lousy attempt to find the snow-globes. Even when I did find them, there wasn't much to be dusted. They weren't just any globes, they were miniature, and they reminded me of the fork I had been forced to eat with earlier in the day. Inside the delicate glass orb was what appeared to be the lighthouse, excluding the condo my father had recently erected, and the base read 'Amelia Island, Florida: Everyone's favorite getaway.' I want to know why a place that has never seen snow has a market for snow globes.

I scoffed as my cloth ran over the lettering. There wasn't anywhere to getaway to. The 'favorite getaway' didn't even have a mall or a bowling alley. When people went on vacation, they wanted to have fun. Amelia Island was many things, but fun was not one I'd them. I made a mental note to talk to dad about more project ideas.

On about my third globe, Amy appeared from the back of the store with the tourist man, the tent, two lounge chairs and a fishing pole. He reached down and patted Jarvis on the head as Amy waved him out. "Have a great day!"

I chuckled at her cheesy disposition. "Oh, yeah. He's going to have a marvelous day. You just robbed him blind."

She turned in my direction, although I couldn't see her face. If I could see her through the shelves, I imagine she would've been scowling. "He and his wife are going to have a fantastic fishing trip for their anniversary!" She stood on her tiptoes, and still her narrowed, crystal eyes were the only thing emerging above the shelves. "He was going to go fishing on his own today, and now he's not."

"Oh, so now you're romantic, and nosy. Any other super powers I need to know about?"

"He asked my opinion!" Her eyes disappeared from the top of the shelf, and I could hear the soft pad of her shoes, as well as the clinking of Jarvis's collar approaching me.

I expected an earful about myself, but instead she just surveyed my work, looking very surprised. "I guess large hands and small globes make for good work. Keep it up. Only twelve more to go!"

I tried my hardest to look surprised, raising my eyebrows and widening my eyes. "I get a compliment? Is this you working your people magic on me?"

A quizzical look crossed her face, and she furrowed her brows. "No, not yet."
She ran across the store towards the main counter before I had the chance to ask her why a place that had never seen snow had a market for snow globes.

The tinkling bell at the front of the store signaled the arrival of yet another customer.

"Amy, doll! You will not believe what happened this mornin'!" a tall, elderly, woman with short red hair said while she quickly approached the counter.

"I can't unless you tell me, Mrs. Gray!" Amy said, leaning over her workspace, and looking overly-interested in the woman's business.

"Herb and that cooking show again! If I'd have known Alzheimer's would've made him a fantastic cook, I would have knocked him senseless years ago!"

Amy busted into a fit of laughter, holding her side. "You are so horrible!" she said through giggling fits. "Now what does that have to do with me and my store?"

The woman looked pleased with herself for making Amy laugh so hard. "That's another thing about our marriage. It's made me have a dry sense of humor! You make sure you choose your man real good!" She winked jovially at Amy, and I could've sworn she directly glanced my way before continuing. "He made the most darling tarts for breakfast today, but used a week's worth of eggs! Tell me you have fresh ones, or those ladies at the red hat club are gonna have me for brunch!"

"As a matter of fact I do, as long as I get one of those tarts!"

Mrs. Grey put her hand over her chest dramatically, and placed a five dollar bill on the counter. "Bless you, child!"

She began heading toward the side of the store opposite Amy, which happened to be where the refrigerated goods and snow globes were. "It's about time you hired help! And eye candy, no less!"

I gave her a polite smile, and went back to my tedious job. Laying low couldn't hurt anything.

When Mrs. Gray didn't receive a response from Amy, she turned to me. "What's your name, sir?"

With that, Amy lifted her head from her work at the cash register. The sober look she gave me told me to keep in mind our previous conversation.

"Cliff, at your service." I extended my hand for her to shake, while trying to think of a believable, faux last name.

"Well Cliff, you have gorgeous hair just like my son's. That sandy blonde is a rare trait!"

"Er...thanks?"

"Don't mention it, just be sure to treat my girl right!"

"Damn, that was fast for an old woman."

"You should see her get her mail," Amy mumbled, having immediately gone back to work.

I chuckled and polished my very last snow globe for the day. The rest of Amy's shift went much like the first forty minutes. Locals came in and chatted, picking up a few items here and there. Customers were drawn in by Amy's charm and Jarvis's cute but blank look. Tourists usually left with more than they came with, though it didn't seem like they really minded. It was safe to say that I was baffled by that woman's ability to have such a rotten disposition
towards me, without even getting the chance to know me, and then interacting phenomenally with everyone else in the world.

At four o'clock Amy locked the door to Amelia Cove and stepped onto the curb, Jarvis leading the way home. I tried to think of a way to start a conversation with her without an argument ensuing. It appeared as if the two went hand in hand when it came to us talking.

"So, did I just witness you and your ability to 'get people?'"

She shook her head, looking at the ground as we made our way back to her home. "You could say that."

"You must have taught Jarvis to do the same. He's quite a hit."

She gave her dog a look of affection. "You know what they say! 'You are who eats with you' or something along those lines."

I tried for a moment to imagine the dog thinking like it's owner. So far he seemed very agreeable and impartial to severe mood swings, but then again, he could be like her in the way that he acted civil around everyone except one person. Why did I have to be Amy's one person?

Amy began to veer off the sidewalk and headed for the other side of the street. I was mildly curious as to what she had in mind, but I knew from experience I wouldn't get any answer out of her.

"You don't have anything to do the rest of the day, do you?"

It wasn't a matter of what I had to do, but what I wanted to do. Truthfully, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I could leave Amy's and stay at the condo. I'd certainly be saving myself some stress, but the more I thought about it, the more my mind began to wonder about the possibility of hanging around. She may be a pain in the ass, but she was more entertaining than I would be by myself. What could it hurt?

"Not that I know of."