This Disease Infects Us All

Chapter One

I flop down on my bed, closing my eyes and sighing. I hate moving house. It's such an odd feeling, getting in a car and arriving at a strange place that is now your home. It's nothing compared to the hell of starting a new school though. I'm starting mine tomorrow, and I already feel slightly sick with worry. In my old school, I had already established a network of friends by the time I had become interested in less mainstream music, clothing and thinking. Here, I would have to get past hundreds of obscure stereotypes before there as even a chance of making a friend. Not that I'd be changing myself to become more acceptable to people,. That was exactly what my parents wanted me to do, and I would rather die than let their plan succeed.

Normally a new student is surrounded by people, introducing themselves and asking questions but not today. I sit on my own at the back of the class, glaring through my home cut curtain of pink hair at everyone who turns to look at me, chewing he skin around my lip piercing. My mum was so pissed off at me when I got it done, but what could she do? I wasn't about to let the hole heal over. I sigh in relief as the bell announces break. "Finally", I mutter as I grab my bag and leave the classroom, not caring that the teacher is one of those types who believes we're dismissed by them, not the bell. I quickly locate a bench at the end of the school, and seat myself on it, getting my iPod out before remembering it's out of charge. Shit. No iPod, no book, no-one to talk to..This was going to be a long break.

"Hey, you're the new girl aren't you? What was your name, Eliza?"

The voice comes from behind me, and I turn to see a boy who looks abut my age with blue eyes and a curly and curly brown hair.He grins at me.

"Yeah, Eliza. Who're you?" I have to make a conscious effort not to be hostile to him. It's not that I'm in a bad mood or anything, it's jut that I tend to be quite stand offish around people I don't know, and have to keep reminding myself that some people actually like those who dare to be alternative.

"Connor, my names Connor. I love your hair. And your lip ring. And your nose ring. And all your ear piercings."

I wonder if he's flirting with me. If so, he's in for nasty surprise. Just then, a girl comes up behind him, laughing.

"Oh dear. I'm guessing from your face that Connor's being his usual, creepy self?" she says, before sitting down on the bench next to him and kissing him. I guess he wasn't flirting with me after all. The girl laughs again, then turns to me as she pushes her brown hair behind her ears. "Don't mind him. He's just exited that there's finally someone who isn't a dumb little clone of what society wants in this school."

"Juliet's words, not mine." Connor says as he wraps his hand around Juliet's waist. "I'm no punk, just a metal-head in disguise."

"A very good disguise, I must say." I grin. "I love metal."

"God dammit! " Juliet hits her hand against her knee in frustration. "And there I was hoping you'd get him to drop Black Sabbath or whatever it is and listen to The Clash instead!"

"The Clash ARE much better than Black Sabbath." I agree.

"They are so not! I mean, they're good, but not Black Sabbath good!" Connor cries. "Have you guys not listened to Paranoid? It's GENIUS!"

"If you say so." I sing in a voice designed to annoy. Juliet laughs.

"Oh my god, you would get along so well with this guy I know, James. Wouldn't she get on well with James, Con? I HAVE to send you two on a date sometime!"

"That wouldn't work." I say. Connor and Juliet look at me quizzically. I hesitate before telling them "I swing the other way, if you know what I mean.". They don't seem like homophobes, but you never know. Not all of them are are easy to spot as my parents. Juliet seems a bit embarrassed that she assumed I was straight, and Connor puts on a look of mock horror.
"You'd better not steal my baby!" he cries, wrapping his arms around Juliet's waist possessively.

"Oh, don't worry. She may be pretty, but she is definitely not my type."

Juliet gasps. "I'm offended! So if beautiful kind, talented girls aren't your type, then what is?"

"I don't know..." I let my mind wonder, envisioning my perfect girl. "...Older than me, like sixteen, seventeen...And a bit of a hermit. Artistic, quiet, doesn't talk much...likes good music. And, of course, fucking gorgeous! Connor, why do you look so creeped out?"

"Eliza, you pretty much just described Con's sister, Cathleen! Well, apart from the 'fucking gorgeous' part, obviously. She's a lesbian to." Juliet answers for him.

"Oh really?" I wiggle my eyebrows, enjoying how grossed-out Connor looks. "I'll have to meet her some time." Connor makes gagging noises and me and Juliet laugh. I can already tell I've made two new best friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is my new story! My English teacher is going to be so annoyed at me, as I wrote this all in my English book before typing it up...