Not All Monsters Get Along

Gordon: The Soul Eater

My stomach rolled and I vomited into the toilet again. Ivy rubbed at my back as Kennedy sneered by the doorway.

“This happens every time, Don. You've got to eat, or-”

“I know what I have to do, Kennedy. I just don't want to, and if that costs me my life, then so be it,” I growled, spitting bile into the spoiled water. Ivy flushed the toilet without saying anything.

“What's happening to you?” Ivy asked, running her nails through my sweaty hair to try and calm me. I pushed myself away from the toilet and leaned against the wall.

“He's not eating souls,” Kennedy spat and I shot her a look that would've killed her, if looks could kill. Ivy's eyes widened as she stared down at me.

“Why?” Adrian had warned us against not consuming. Since we were all Soul-Eaters, if we didn't do what we were born to do, we would suffer a long, painful, pathetic death.

“He actually feels bad for the mortals,” Kennedy hissed and shoved Ivy away from me, before grabbing my arm and dragging me to my feet.

The sudden movement made my stomach roll, but Kennedy wasn't slowing down. She dragged me to my own living room and threw me on the sofa before climbing on top of me and pressing her lips to mine. I tried pushing her off, but she was holding onto the back of the couch for leverage.

The cold air she breathed into me was not carbon dioxide, but instead a soul she had consumed the night before. Ivy stood somewhere in the hallway, watching this exchange with wide, frightened, doe-like eyes. She has never seen another Soul-Eater give a soul to another.

When Kennedy was done, she allowed me to shove her onto the floor and I gagged, curling in on myself as my body absorbed the soul and began to fix itself.

“W-why did you do that?!” I screamed and Kennedy wiped her mouth.

“You're one of us, Don, one of the family whether you like it or not. I'm not just going to sit here and watch you die,” she screamed back and I shot out of my seat.

“Get out, both of you. I don't need you here,” I spat and Kennedy clenched her jaw as she stood up.

“We're hunting tonight, Don. You need to show up, or Adrian will get angry again. You know what he's like when he's angry. He'll force the souls into you, and it'll be a hell of a lot more painful than starving yourself,” she growled and dragged Ivy out of my apartment with her. I locked the door and I paced my apartment, furious that I had no choice but to be what I was.