Not All Monsters Get Along

Lucas: The Vampire

I woke up screaming, leaping from my bed, away from the ray of sunshine that had maneuvered past the dark curtain I had hung in the window.

My chest, where the simple ray had landed, was cracked and charred, oozing blood and smoking at the same time. I hissed in pain as the hardened burnt flesh chipped off. It reminded me of cracked stone, the cracks spreading like a spider web throughout my chest even though the ray had been no bigger than a quarter.

If I stepped into direct sunlight, or even overcast, my entire body would be breaking apart like a smashed figurine.

I knew this because my creator, Ethan, had grown tired of his existence two decades after turning me, and I had watching him run into the sunrise. I had watched him until my eyes couldn't take the light any longer. The moment the sun hit him, he gave a scream before his vocal cords disintegrated, and he broke apart, leaving nothing but his jewelry when I went to investigate that night.

Every day I dreamt that sweet, sweet Isabelle would do the same. But she was too proud to die just yet.

I should have known she would hate me for my selfish act when I saw how terrified she had been when she knew what I was. She only found out after I had accidental bitten her. After wards, it was either kill her or change her.

She begged me to kill her, but I couldn't, the last bit of humanity left in me still loving her. When she had changed, she broke almost every bone in my body and then fled. It took me almost a decade to find her again.

Back then, she had lived in Alaska, when night would last for months.

I followed her around the globe, keeping her safe without her knowing it.