Not All Monsters Get Along

Candice: The Source

A normal day was one where a part of me was lost to either a blood sucker or a demon.

Today was not a normal day.

Today, I was free. Free from my parents who were going to Los Angeles to see some motivational speaker. Free from people who enjoyed to kill me slowly. Free from my internal pain thanks to some powerful painkillers my mother left in the bathroom medicine cabinet.

I didn't have people to call friends, so I was on my own today; not that I minded.

I grabbed my purse and put the pills in along with some money from my father's 'hidden' stash, my ID(and my fake ID which said I was 21), my keys, sunglasses, and my phone. I took my father's largest golf umbrella and left, locking the door behind me.

I caught a bus into the city and once there, I wandered.

After an hour, I was feeling sick and overheated.

I tracked down the largest park and sat in the middle of it, opened the umbrella for shade, and tried to shove it into the ground. After several failed attempts to get it to stay in, since my strength wasn't the best, I heard an amused voice above me: “Need some help?”

I peeked around the umbrella to see a young man, no older than me, smiling down at me. I flushed and nodded. As he worked it into the ground, I took in his appearance: a neat, short mohawk, dark pants, and a tank top, which showed the flexing muscle beneath the skin of his arms.

“There,” he huffed, straightening up once the umbrella was secured. He was a bit of out breath.

“Thanks,” I murmured, and crossed my legs. He smiled and held out a hand.

“Gordon, but you can call me Don.” I took his hand weakly.

“Candice, nice to meet you. You can sit down if you want.”

He checked his water discreetly and then sat down, putting a respectful distance between us. I smiled and slid my sunglasses onto my nose.

“Do you usually do this?” His face scrunched up and I decided he was cute.

“Do what?”

“Help girls in the park and then hope to get their number.” He barked a laugh and shook his head.

“No, and if I did, I doubt any of them would be as pretty as you.” I bluhed and started pulling at the grass.

“I'm not pretty, don't try and flatter me,” I muttered. I was skin and bones, pale, plain, and my parents had signed my death warrant for me.

“Don't put yourself down, Candice.”

We sat in silence for a moment. I'd like to say it wasn't awkward, but then I'd be lying.

“So how come I've never seen you out here before?“ Don watched my hands and I slowly made a pile of grass.

“I live out of the city. And since my parents are out for the next couple of days, I decided to get out.” I shrugged and he smiled a little.

“Parents a little suffocating?”

“A little?” They practically sold my soul to supernatural deasts that would gladly kill me.

“Mine too. At least, my dad is. I don't remember my mother.”

“Maybe that's for the best.”

“I'll never know.” It was his time to shrug this time.

“So, Don, what made you come over?” I looked at him as he thought it over.

“Despite the obvious: you trying and failing to stick an umbrella into the ground?” I smiled.

“Despite the obvious.”

“Well, I thought I'd befriend a stranger and have some human interaction.” The last part made my hands go still and he noticed. His eyes jumped to my face but he couldn't see my wide eyes though my sunglasses.

“Sounds like a good plan,” I said slowly.

He knows. He knows about the monsters. What if he's a monster too?

“Is something wrong, Candice?”

“No,” I said simply.

“Well, uh, I have to go home and change, I start work in an hour. Why don't you stop by? Free food,” he suggested and I studied his face.

“Sure, where at?”

“Well I work at this diner called The Daily Muffin frim four until one, and then from 1:30am until 7:30am, I work at a bar called The Four Walls. Either one,” he said, looking shy.

“I'll make you a deal. I'll come to the diner if I get a free breakfast, and I'll come to the bar later, because I have a fake ID I've been dying to use.”
He nodded and shook my hand again before getting up, smiling big.

“See you then.”

I nodded and watched him leave. He was just too gorgeous to be a killer.