Not All Monsters Get Along

Gordon: The Soul Eater

I waited tables at a diner called The Daily Muffin. It served breakfast all day long and all night. I worked from four in the afternoon to until one in the morning.

From there, I went to The Four Walls, which was a bar that I worked at as a bartender from 1:30am to 7am, and from there, I went back to my apartment to sleep until my shift at The Daily Muffin.

Tonight, my plans had changed. I had asked coworkers to work my shift at both places, and eventually I found someone from each place to cover the shifts.

Instead of going to work, I put on a cheap dress shirt, a loose black tie, and black jeans, and went to Adrian's.

Despite him being my father, I did my very best to stay away from him. He had raised me, hoping I would come into the whole 'you're-a-soul-eater' thing with all smiles. When I didn't, he tried to force it down my throat.

Every time I went with them on a hunt, he tried to force me to kill the first person we saw. It usually ended up with us arguing and Kennedy doing the killing, each of us taking a bit of the soul.

I walked into my father's house to find the rest of the pack already there. It was a little after eight in the evening, and the parties downtown were just starting.

Since Kennedy, Ivy, and I were the youngest, we used fake IDs to get us into the clubs the rest of the gang went into.

Adrian's eyes fell on me and I cast my eyes downward, closing the door behind me.

“Nice of you to join us, Don.” He stepped forward, the rest of the group breaking to give him plenty of space. He stopped a foot from me and I lifted my eyes to stare him in the face.

“Adrian,” I hissed and he clenched his jaw.

“Kennedy told me something very interesting,” he said and my eyes flickered to her.

Her heels had become suddenly interesting when her name was brought up. Adrian's hand flashed out and wrapped around my throat, slamming my back into the closed door behind me. I gasped for air and he spoke loud enough so everyone could hear.

“I will not have you acting this way, Gordon. This is unreasonable, and just plain irresponsible of you, my own son! You had better straighten out, or so help me, I will kill you myself,” he growled and I sneered.

“How often have I listened to you?” I growled and he swung a fist at my face. I let the strike come, and he let me crumble to the floor. He was just as surprised as everyone else in the room, since I usually did something to block or dodge his assaults. I spat blood out onto his carpet and licked the inside of my cheek were my teeth had cut the delicate tissue.

I stood up and rolled my shoulders.

“The party's starting without us, father,” I spat, the blood in my teeth tasting like rust on my tongue.

Adrian scoffed and opened the door around me, everyone filing out before me. Ivy was last and she took my hand in hers, without looking me.

“He wouldn't kill his only son,” she murmured, leading me outside with them. We were walking around tonight, the air crisp around us, which made the experience all the worse for me.

“You obviously don't know him, Ivy.” I whispered and she tightened her hold on my hand.

I released her hand and draped my arm around her shoulder instead. She leaned into my side as we walked behind the group.