Status: Finished

God Bless the Children of the Beast

US Fest and more trouble

As expected, I didn’t see him much after that. Both bands were in the studio and filming music videos. Broken released our first single just a few weeks later, which flew to #3 as soon as it came out, and climbed even higher once they got us together for a photo shoot. Not long after MTV demanded that we give them a music video, so we got busy with that. Then they discovered Motley Crue and wanted even more from them. By 1983, both bands had 2 albums each, and the strip was exploding with the new metal movement. The British wave was collapsing, and attention was drawn to the west coast.
Motley Crue was loud, messy, and glam to the max. Their “Shout at the Devil” outfits combined with their makeup and outrageous stage stunts made them one for the history books. Broken took on the darker side of things, wearing similar clothes in all black and some eyeliner, with a sound influenced by both the British and American movements. We were both new and old, having fans from both sides flock to us. Together the two bands were a dangerous duo, sometimes friends, others enemies, racing to be the best. He media was also up in our ass now that the rest of the world knew about us. We couldn’t go out without some dolled-up blonde in heels shoving a microphone in our faces and asking who was dating who. Every time we shot them the same boring answer; we’re in a relationship with the band. No time for girls/guys.
The next time I saw Nikki or any of the band for a year was the US Festival. That’s where we really took off. Media swarmed us from then on, and our relationship, if you could call it that, suddenly took a drastic turn downhill. It all started when Motley took the stage.
We were set to play right after Motley, so if the crowd didn’t like them we were pretty much screwed. Luckily the crowd, though mystified by these men dressed like hookers, seemed to love them. Especially Vince. The “Rock candy” veteran knew exactly how to work a crowd. The guys ran offstage and right into us, the awed bunch wondering if we could work the crowd the same way with our glam/brit sound and half-ass frontman. “Break a leg” Tommy cooed at us. Nikki and I, naturally, stared at each other for no real reason. I felt anger radiating beside me.
“Hey, got a problem with my bassist?!” Tommy called to Jake, getting defensive. “As a matter of fact I do.” Jake sneered, going nose to nose with the drummer. I swear I saw lightning bolts between their eyes. “Back off bro.” Vince stepped in, pushing Jake away. “Don’t touch him!” I yelled, launching forward and punching Vince square in the eye. Suddenly an all-out brawl had begun. Jake was trying to kill Nikki, I was trying to claw all the perfect little blonde hair off of Vince’s head, Rocky was fighting Tommy to keep him from defending Nikki, while Mick and Austin were lost in the mix trying to break up the mess. Soon VIP security was on top of us pulling us apart. Broken was shoved onstage, and Motley was dragged off somewhere else.
We climbed onstage and I soon realized that we must look like shit, due to the reaction of the crowd. I also noticed we were bruised to shit, because it hurt just to have my guitar as extra weight. We played our kickass opening song, ironically enough called “Unforgiven”, which I think Broken would feel about Motley for a while. Then I staggered over to Austin’s main mic stand while the crowd stared at me. I carelessly wiped the blood off my face that came from my nose and addressed the crowd. “Bet you haven’t seen a chick lead guitarist before have you?” I sneered into the booming speakers. Silence. “We got in a little trouble backstage a few minutes ago, but now we’re here to rock out and kick your asses!” Again silence. Then suddenly, to my surprise, the crowd roared. I beamed. “We are Broken!” I yelled, grabbing my guitar and playing the riff to the next song. The band picked up immediately and the rest of the day went smoothly. We played a perfect gig, and the crowd loved us. However, we were on thin ice with our sister band.
We got offstage and were surrounded by event people to make sure we didn’t start anymore fights. We got to our bus and the men in “staff” shirts disbanded, leaving us to our devices. The guys climbed onboard, but I silently slipped around the side into the maze of vans and busses. I knew exactly where I was headed; right into trouble.
I tentatively knocked 4 times on the old door or the crappy bus. The tall and shaggy-haired one answered with a glare that was trying to hide a smile. A familiar face popped up behind him. “Sami!” He cooed. Another familiar voice boomed from inside. “That bitch is NOT coming in here Sixx, you hear me?!” The two raven-haired boys let me in anyway, and I confronted the angry blonde with a smirk. “Sorry if I hurt your ego Vince, no hard feelings?” He practically growled at me and turned away. Mick shook his head at the stuck-up singer and resumed reading some book. “I don’t appreciate your band trying to beat the hell out of us.” Nikki said pointedly. I shrugged. “Sorry, I get defensive.” I replied nonchalantly. He nodded with an unemotional face. “Touché.” We hung out just long enough for Vince to lose his cool before they sent me packing. I think I was still cool with them, except Vince of course, but I would have to watch my back with a band vs band epidemic going on.
I casually went back in my own decrepit bus, acting like I was never even gone. They were waiting for me. Each one had dreary eyes, blood smeared faces, and eyebrows stooped so low in a glare that they looked in pain. “Um..what’s up?” I said coolly. “We’re sick of you hanging out with them.” Jake said with a cold snap in his voice. I thought I could see cold air rushing from his mouth. “What’s your point.” I snapped back. “The point is,” Rocky offered as maturely as possible, “We don’t like those guys, they’re bad news. They party way too hard and one day they’ll all be in a ditch. You need to focus on us.” I was growing irritated. How dare he tell me what I can and can’t do? “Listen here blondie,” I said angrily, “I’ll do whatever I want, and you won’t stop me. You know damn well the band is my priority, and without me you’re nothing.” That shut them up real fast. They knew it was true. I took our misfit mess of rehearsals and turned it into our best-selling albums. I organized Austin’s crazed thoughts into coherent lyrics. Without me, they were nothing. I left the bus and went immediately to find the nearest alcohol tent.