Status: Active

The Protection of a God

A First Impression

The days of the year usually blur together for Devon. The winter days and summer nights were usually a whirlwind of friends, parties, and happiness; except that one night last autumn.

The air was crisp while the leaves were falling in shades of red and orange. The sky was the perfect in between of light and dark. Devon loved this time of night. It was perfect for her nighttime runs. Her older brother and guardian, David, always grumbled when she pulled on her black running shoes.He didn't like her running at night and he stopped voicing his opinion once Devon started running later at night just to spite him.That's how Devon was. She wanted what she wanted and she usually got it.

It was October 15th to be exact. Devon was running. She had been running for the past hour and wasn't anywhere ready to stop. She did need a water break though.Devon stopped by an old Elm tree and drank deeply from the water bottle she had been carrying. She looked up to see the bright stars in the sky and listened to the crickets. Thinking of how her mother used to sit on their back deck and do the same.

She was about to put her headphones back in when she saw a shadow round the corner. Heading in her direction was what looked to be a guy a little older than her. Maybe 18 or 19 she thought. He didn't seem to notice her; he just kept on walking. His head was hung low and covered by a black hoodie. Shaggy black hair peeked out from the hood. He had a backpack with him and seemed to be in a hurry. He was almost past Devon when he looked up.

She smiled and almost said Hello when the lights of a car swung around the same corner the boy had come from. The black-haired boy began to run and he hid behind the tree that Devon was standing against. His voice came out low and husky, but it was trembling like he was scared.

"You didn't see me, okay? Please you have to say you didn't see me." Devon just nodded her head to not draw attention to the boy as a blue pickup truck slowed to a stop in front of her.

A man with long, thick, brown hair, a raspy voice, and traveling eyes leaned out the passenger window. "Excuse me. Have you seen a boy pass recently? He has black hair and I think he was heading this way,"

Devon tried to look relaxed when she responded even though the man’s gaze that was traveling up and down her body was sending shivers down her spine.

"Sorry. I haven’t seen anyone. I'll keep a look out for you though," She added a smile so the man wouldn’t realize she was lying to his face.

He sighed and looked straight for a moment. He quickly scribbled on a piece of paper that seemed to appear out of thin air. He stuck his hand out the window and gave Devon the scrap of paper.
When taking the piece of paper, the man’s hand grabbed hers. She shuddered. His hand was cold and pale. It felt exactly like her mother’s did. Like death.

“If you do happen to see him, call me. You can call anytime,"and with one last leering glance at Devon the man drove away.

That was creepy, Devon thought. She was definitely not going to be calling him. She crumpled up the piece of paper and dropped it to the ground. She was happy she had not given up the black-haired guy behind her. Devon turned around to the boy. He was huddled next to the tree.

"Are you alright?"

Devon was worried about this boy that she knew nothing about. He seemed so scared, yet his face was full of determination.

"Can I trust you? I know I just met you, but I need help and you seem honest. You seem good. Like you wouldn't betray me, right?"

The boy continued to ramble until Devon crouched down and put her hand on his arm.

"What's your name?" Devon asked the boy as he focused his blue eyes on her.

"Damien H. Brimstone."

The way he stated his name seemed a little odd to Devon. She had never heard anyone say it like that before.

"You're going to ask me who that man was in the car,"

Devon was shocked because that exact question was on the tip of her tongue. Damien sighed, much like the man in the car did.

"That's my father. Hades."
♠ ♠ ♠
New Story... Comment and subscribe please and thank you