Status: As active as you make it.

Songs That Change People's Lives

Song #5

"Fuckin' Perfect" by P!nk

The first time I listened to this song, I remember my friend playing it on her Ipod and trying to get me to listen to it. She said it reminded her of me and that I needed to hear it. At first I didn't pay attention to what I was listening to. My mind was going to different things at once and I was impatient to just continue on with play rehearsals rather than listen to some song.

The second time I heard it was when I was watching Fuse. My parents had just left for church, and I had told them I didn't want to go to church because I didn't share the Christian beliefs. My Dad, a strict Lutheran was upset, and they left the house in a fury.

I sat on the couch, feeling terrible. At that time of my life, I was going through so much at once. I was an alcoholic at the ripe age of fifteen, and I was heading down a road I never expected to find myself heading. Sitting on the edge of the couch, my mother's cigarettes looked inviting to me, so I picked up my first one and lit it up. I kept on replaying in my mind over and over everything that was bad about my life and what a fuck up I was, to the point I was plotting out my next suicide attempt when Pink's video came on.

I was brought to tears. I felt connected with the girl in the video. I wanted to escape out of what I was becoming, but I didn't know how to because I felt trapped. Something resonated in me that day, and it would still take some time for me, but that was one of the original moments that had me starting to turn my life around.