Goodbye Reckless

the end

"They have had a hard and long journey behind them, with many obstacles lining their way and their love has been tested and proven stronger. We are overjoyed to be here today at the wedding of Stephan Sanders and Beatrice Wisner."

A tear had collected at the bottom of my eye, as I bit my lip determined not to cry.

Andy was sat next to me holding my hand, he turned to face me with a grin and wiped the tear away from my cheek gently.

"We're only at the introduction," he reminded me in a whisper, with the same grin still on his face.

So you can imagine that by the time it got to the vows I already had more than enough. Andy had run out of tissues to discreetly pass to me and in the end he had to attempt to wrestle a handkerchief from my grandmother, whose English was just about as good as Andy's German.

"I now pronounce you man and wife; you may kiss the bride."

Beatrice My stepmother smiled at my father. He kissed her. I burst into tears.

- - -

"I can't wait to take you to a funeral."

"Andy that's awful!" I protested, but a smile on my face as I attempted to dab away the tears without smudging my mascara even more.

The wedding had taken place outdoors, just like in the romantic movies, three months after our return from Japan and Australia. There was a massive white marquee set up, under which the guest sat easily on bamboo chairs eating only the best eco friendly food and sipping fair trade coffee and wine. There were sunflowers everywhere and the atmosphere was an easy breeze of freedom and bohemian beauty.

Andy was still grinning at me; a packet of tissues tucked in the pocket his skinny pin-stripe trousers, just in case.

"That was your fifth wedding am I right?" He asked as his arm made it's way around my waist and pulled me closer.

I nodded gently and leaned against Andy surveying the scene in front of our eyes.

Everything was absolutely beautiful.

Ryan and Eva were walking across the vast green expanse holding hands, and I was already envisaging their wedding with a smile on my face.

Sisky was attempting to converse with my German Grandmother, and he totally won her over. Three weeks later he received a package from Germany that included my Grandmother's famous cheesecake. Surprisingly it was still edible.

William was being roped into the younger children's party games, despite his tallness the children always approached him first, my lovely step sisters took rather a shine to him and for weeks after the wedding the half Russian twin sisters of mine, Elena and Tatiana, were still pinning for Will.

Mike and Michael were starting to head towards the makeshift stage and began tuning their guitars as the whole band had been invited as honorary members and agreed to perform a couple of songs.

My dad and his new wife were the centre of everybody's attention that day and from where I was stood I could see their happy faces amongst the crowds of family members and well wishers, and it made me relax and maybe think that this wedding, his sixth wedding, would be the last.

"So lately I've been hearing some shocking things," Andy said with a grin.

"You have? What kind of things?" I asked slightly anxious.

"There's a serious concern about the dwindling numbers of the praying-mantis population. I think you and I could make a big difference."

I slapped him on the arm playfully.

"Don't you even dare," I said with a grin.

"What? I'm not saying we'd go to the jungle and save them all by putting them in cardboard boxes, I was thinking more of adoption,' Andy said, still with his mock seriousness. "We could call it Charlie."

I laughed and stood on tiptoes to kiss Andy.

And with that my dysfunctional family was complete.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well last comments would be much appreciated and I hope you've liked it! Thanks for all the wonderful comments and support.
xxxx