Goodbye Reckless

nine

Two weeks later I attempted to call my father, I wanted to see him. He had been missing out on a lot recently and I took it as my duty as the eldest child to keep him informed of my personal life and even the rest of the family's issues; ranging from Ryan's report card to what ballet classes Precious should go to.

Apart from all of this I wanted dad to meet Andy, knowing they would get along well.

So I plucked up the courage and dialled my father's home number.

The answer machine started up.

"Hello it's Stephan and Beatrice! Right now we can't take your call because at present we're floating in the Pacific Ocean saving the whales from extinction. Leave a message after the beep and we'll get right back to you when we're on dry land!"

"PAPA! You cannot be serious. This is not even funny any more. Get out of that stupid rubber boat and get a clue; America has stopped whale hunting since the 80's it's the Japanese you should be harassing. I swear to god…."

Filled with anger I couldn't carry on speaking and in the end I had to hang up.

"Scheiße! Scheiße! Scheiße !" I swore loudly, storming around my flat.

"Problems?" Andy called from the kitchen and presently walked in, a piece of my grandmothers' cheesecake in his right hand, and a cup of freshly made coffee in the other.

Defeatedly I sank down on the sofa that I had salvaged from a vintage store and attempted to take a deep calming breath just the way my yoga instruct told me to do.

Andy still confused perched down next to me, and looked at me with one eyebrow raised before taking a sip of the steaming coffee.

"My father is at this moment in time in a dingy floating in the Pacific Ocean between a whale hunting boat and Big Willy."

As I said this Andy chocked on his coffee and it took a few minutes for his coughing to subside.

"You mean he was serious about that?" Andy asked getting the giggles all over again.

"Looks like it. Well pray to god that they don't get eaten by any whales and end up like Johan."

- - -

"What are you going to be doing in three weeks?"

The question was so unexpected that I stopped walking and turned to face Andy properly.

We were in the supermarket, half an hour later, buying food for Sisky's 'house' party that would be taking place in his apartment later that evening. Ryan was delighted to be invited by Eva and I was more than happy to oblige in attempting to cook that evening.

I had just placed the pasta in the shopping trolley when Andy asked the question.

I looked up at him with confusion.

"I have no idea, why?"

I noticed that he began shuffling awkwardly and gazing intently at his high top Nike's.

"We're going on tour in three weeks," he mumbled.

It was a strange sensation that filled me, half joy for them and half that gut wrenching feeling that takes over you when you know that someone you care about is about to leave.

"That's amazing Andy," I said trying to keep my happy veneer up not wanting to seem selfish and keep him all for myself. "Where are you going?"

"We're doing a couple of shows in Japan and then Australia…" Andy said still not looking at me but now focusing on the canned tomatoes that were sitting in the shopping trolley.

He took a deep breath and continued.

"And I was wondering if you wanted to come with us."

"Me?" I asked completely shocked, the conversation having turned around so quickly.

Andy nodded.

"Of course! I'd love to!" I shrieked delightedly and threw my arms around a relieved Andy who grinned and then kissed me.

Things were moving up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback would be lovely xxx