Status: Enjoy!

Untitled

Last Day On Earth

Sometimes, I can remember my dear mother combing my hair through her fingers as she lay next to me in my bed. She'd tell me stories of the 'Providers' and how they'd take us away from all this one day. All this hardship and Poverty.
The Providers were the beings who brought our villages food, drink and other supplies. No one knew what they were or where they came from, just that we fully depended on them, and everyone was grateful for their generosity. Before they had arrived the earth had been in a state of pure carnage. Food supplies were running low, which led to mass murder and cannibalism. Wars waged across the countries, no one could trust anyone else, and worst of all, there were no signs of things ever changing.
I remember that fateful day when I was but 5 years old, Playing in the ashes outside the hut my father had built. There was a sudden, vicious wind sweeping over the village and an unexplainable roar of an engine coming from the sky. My weak form stood and looked to the smoke filled sky. A huge silver ship hovered in the air above our heads, doors opening with ropes being thrown down to the ground.
Strange forms resembling mechanical humans descended to our village in hordes. They said nothing, just loomed over us, a good 8 foot tall. Men stood in front of their families to protect and shield, despite shaking with fear themselves.
One approached my father and handed him a small package wrapped in brown paper. He reluctantly took it and opened the parcel, being watched by the countless eyes of the other villagers around him.
Inside was an apple, a single red apple. His face turned from fear to fascination as he trembled and fell on this knees, clutching the fruit in his cracked hands.
The next few days were magical. We ate properly for the first time in years, all thanks to these mysterious saviors from the heavens. They quickly became our leaders, our preachers, mapping out glorious plans before our once hopeless eyes. They promised life, safety and perhaps most exciting, a whole new planet just for us.
From the new found hope, there sprouted new opportunities, new lives. People smiled instead of stared at the ground, we received new clothes, new homes, even medicine.
I was 25 years old, Mother long dead and father disappeared 4 years prior. The providers told me he was in good hands and that I'd be joining him soon. On our glorious new planet in the heavens. The day I took my final steps on that god forsaken Earth and started my promised life of prosperity finally arrived. I was woken by a Provider early that morning and given chains for my hands to keep me safe on the journey.
I was attached to several other villagers, each with joining chains on our hands. The cheerful chatter and bustle was music to my ears as we boarded the ship for the first time, the providers ushering us inside and in to a cage of sorts near the door. They told us we'd be home soon, home and happy.
The last thing I remember was the sound of gnarled, gnashing teeth ripping through my neck.