Status: story has been abandoned

The Legend of the Heavens Blade

Chapter 9

The brute shook its head as it recovered from the attack. It roared loudly as it looked at two girls. “Looks like its mad now.” Ryxa said with a smile. “Yeah, but we can’t play with it. We need to help Arlona.” Ashtralana said as she lowered her scythe. “Can you distract it for a few minutes?” Ashtralana said as she looked at her scythe. Ryxa looked at Ashtralana and then at the brute. “Yea” she said as she raised her sword. Ryxa ran towards the brute as Ashtralana began to concentrate on her magic. The brute swung the door at Ryxa. She jumped to the side dodging it and sliced it across the arm. The sword bounced off its arm. “Damn, things skin is stronger than normal.” Ryxa said as she jumped back. “But it’s not strong enough.” Ryxa said as she smiled. “Get back” Ashtralana yelled as the air began to stir around the brute. Ryxa jumped back to where Ashtralana was. The wind began to swirl around the brute. Ashtralana raised her scythe. Flames swirled around the blade; she slammed the blade into the ground. The flames ran along the ground to the brute and erupted from the ground. The flames and wind mixed as they swirled around the brute as it turned into a massive storm. Ryxa shielded her face from the heat. The brute roared as the flames engulfed it. As the flames disappeared, the body of the brute laid on the ground charred and burned. Ashtralana removed her scythe from the ground. “That should do it” Ashtralana said as she started to walk in the direction Arlona ran. “Come on we have to…..” Ashtralana suddenly stopped. She stared as the brute began to life itself up off the ground. “How is it still alive” Ryxa said in shock. Ashtralana stepped back. “It shouldn’t be”. She said as she raised her scythe. The brute managed to get to its feet as it did its skin regenerated, a large symbol began to glow brightly on its chest. “Wait that symbol. It’s the mark of a necromancer.” Ashtralana said as she stepped back. “But that is impossible. A minion of a necromancer would have died. They can’t be healed.” Ashtralana said as she looked at the brute. “Plus in order to control it the necromancer would have to be present.” “So then there is someone else here.” Ryxa said as she looked around. “No I don’t sense any use of magic around, this magic isn’t normal.” Ashtralana said. “So how do we kill it?” Ryxa asked as she looked at the brute. “There is one way.” Ashtralana said as she stepped towards the brute. She raised the scythe up in front of her as it started to glow. The brute roared as its skin finished its regeneration. “Bind” Ashtralana said as she lowered the scythe to the side. A large symbol began to glow under the brute. Chains erupted from the ground and wrapped around the brutes body holding him in place. The brute fought and pulled at the chains to break free. As Ashtralana held the scythe out to the side a large darkness began to form and swirl behind her. The scythe began to glow as the darkness formed and grew larger. A chill went down Ryxa’s spine as the darkness took form of a cloaked figure wielding a large scythe, the area grew dark and cold as the figure towered over the area. Its stance resembled that of Ashtralana. “I’m sorry” Ashtralana said softly as she took a step forward and swung her scythe, the figure followed her motion as if her shadow. Its scythe passed through the brute with ease. As it did the brute stopped moving and went limp, on the end of the figures scythe was a white glowing form of the brute struggling to get free. Suddenly the figure moved on its own, it reached for the brute on the scythe with its long skinny hand. It grasped the brute and began to pull it towards it; the brute fought and struggled to get free as the two figures began to fade away. Soon the darkness and cold faded away, Ashtralana scythe transformed back into the charm on her wrist. “Come on.” Ashtralana said as she slowly ran off. Ryxa saw tears on Ashtralana’s face as she ran off. As the two ran by the brute’s body, Ryxa watched as the body began to disintegrate till nothing but bones was left.