While Listening to Rock and Roll

MASON.

My phone blares as a text message comes in.

We'll be there in 10 - Bentley

I check my notebook to see what he's coming for.

Blue Dream - 1/4 - $50

I weight out the weed and put it in a baggie. I throw it on the table and continue smoking out of my own bowl. When it's cashed I walk out to the living room just in time for a knock at the door.

"Hey," I greet Bentley. He has someone with him, but I've never seen him before.

Bentley smiles at me as he walks inside. His friend's eyes roam around until they land on Charlie, who's smoking a joint in the living room. Bentley's friend books it towards Charlie. Bentley shakes his head. Charlie gives me a look- this kid is obviously trying to flirt with him- but I just shrug and lead Bentley to my room.

I take a seat in my desk chair and say, "Fifty bucks." Bentley hands me the money and I give him the baggie.

"Thanks," he says and starts inching towards the door.

"Hey wait. You wanna smoke? I've got some real nice shit with me. I can roll a quick doobie if you want." Okay, I'll be honest. I like the kid. He's being coming to me for a few months now and I look forward to it every time. I always try to get him to stay and smoke with me- just so I can actually try to get to know him- but he always refuses, claiming he doesn't want to drive high.

He shifts his weight nervously and peaks his head out my bedroom door. I see him roll his eyes before he shuts the door and says, "Yeah, sure."

I immediately begin rolling a j, trying to be fast because I don't want him to suddenly change his mind and leave. Bentley takes a seat on the edge of my bed while he waits. When I'm done, I hand him the joint and a lighter.

He takes a hit and immediately starts coughing. "Holy fuck!"

I laugh and take the joint from him. "Good shit, huh?"

He nods as he hits it again. He's able to hold it in longer this time. We smoke until the joint's a roach. I put what's left in the roach in a bowl and we smoke that until it's cashed.

"Wow," he says, "I'm pretty fucking stoned." He has a big smile on his face and, wow, he looks good when he smiles.

My door bursts open, making us both jump. Charlie's standing there, clearly annoyed, with Bentley's friend, who also looks annoyed, but probably for a different reason, by his side.

"This little fucker-" he points to Bentley's friend, "-has to get the fuck outta here."

"What the fuck, Harry." Bentley groans. "I'm too fucking stoned to drive right now."

"I'll drive myself home. Give me your keys," Harry says. Wow. He's kind of a dick.

"How am I supposed to get home then?"

"I'll drive you home," I say quickly.

"There you go, now give me your keys." Bentley tosses his keys to Harry who books it out the door.

"Fuck! That guy was annoying. He would not stop hitting on me," Charlie whines.

"Sorry... He does that," Bentley says. The blush on his cheeks makes me smile.

Charlie nods and walks back to the living room, shutting my bedroom door behind him. Bentley sighs quietly then bursts out in giggles. He collapses on my bed and twists in the sheets, still giggling like a maniac. I sat in my desk chair, smiling and swiveling back and forth, as I watched Bentley have his giggle fit.

He looked so good; his face was flushed from laughing so hard, he still had that big smile on his face, and his hair was a mess from tossing and turning so much. In all honesty, he looked beautiful.

When he's finally calmed down, he looks at me and says, "I'm sorry."

I smile at him and say, "It's all good. You want something to eat?"

He jumps up and yells, "Fuck yeah!"

-

"So tell me," I say as I cook some chicken, rice, and beans, "What the fuck is with that friend you brought over?"

Bentley shrugs as he packs a bowl. "I don't even know. He's always like that. I guess it's his personality."

I grab three plates and pile food on each one. "Then why do you hang out with him? I wouldn't want to hang out with such a dick like him, personally."

Bentley shrugs and grabs a plate and hands me the bowl. I take a hit and grab my plate and the plate I made for Charlie. I give Charlie his plate as Bentley and I walk back to my bedroom.

We eat in peace, the only sound being the mix CD I put on, until I break the silence.

"So sorry if this is too personal or anything but, like, are you and Harry together or something? Or do you have a girlfriend?" I had to ask. My curiosity was eating at me.

He chokes as he takes a hit from the bowl. "God no," he rasps, "We're just friends. And as for the girlfriend thing, I'm gay so that will never happen."

My heart stutters but I manage to keep my cool. I take a hit and say, "Oh, cool."

We pass the bowl until its cashed. We stay quiet and listen to the music. I finish rolling another j when Bentley says, "Hey, I think I should go home now. I have to beat my parents."

I sigh mentally but say, "Okay." I put the joint in an ID case and stuff it in my pocket. I lead him to my pick up truck, opening his door for him. I see a small blush tint his cheeks and a little grin on his lips.

-

The ride to his house was almost an hour away but it was awkward or uncomfortable at all. We talked some of the ride- I learned he was seventeen but his birthday was soon, his parents were those pretentious lawyers of Husband and Wife, he thought I had a great taste in music, and he mentioned he had a great time hanging out with me- and we were quiet some of the time.

Honestly it was a great ride and I wish I could've hung out with him longer.

"This house right here," he says.

I pull up beside it and park the car. I quickly jog over to his side and open the door for him. He stutters out a 'thanks' and blushes that oh-so-adorable blush of his.

I step in his path and hand him the ID case. When he opens it he sniffs the joint. His eyes widen for a moment before he gives me a bemused look.

"For you," I whisper, "Because I like you."

After watching him try to hide his smile and the rosy color that dusted his cheeks, I hoped and prayed I would see him soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been away from writing for about 7 months and it felt so good to write again, even if this isn't my best work. I am having a hard time developing Mason completely, though I feel like it's because he's so complex and I'm not sure how to get that across without him seeming like a mess.

Comment, Recommend, & Subscribe?

Love Always,
Sarah