‹ Prequel: Smiling In Everything

Mess You Made

Arrangement.

Jack—

My phone was ringing.

I groan out loud as I swat at my bedside table for it. Who the fuck is calling me at this time of night? I make another noise of annoyance as it continued to blare next to my ear. I feel the bed shift as I grab for the phone, my eyes opening a crack to see who was calling me at this ungodly hour.

"What?" I say out loud, my throat not cooperating so it came out more as a: "Whuo?"

I click the Talk button, pressing the phone to my ear as I let my head drop back to my pillow. My beautiful, beautiful pillow. "What do you want?" I ask, my tone harsh.

"Do you know about this?" Alex immediately asks, overlapping with my own question. He sounded frantic and troubled, as if he expected me to know what he was referring to. It woke me up a tad, my eyes opening all the way. I rub at my nose.

"Know about what?" I ask, trying to stay quiet. "That's kind of vague, you shit." It was a pathetic insult, but I don't correct myself.

It took him a few long moments to ask this next question, but when he asks it, I shoot right up in bed, my elbow hitting the side table. I curse. "Do you know where Sadie is?"

"No,"I growl, pushing a hand back through my hair. We haven't discussed her, and for a good reason, so why is he bringing her up now? "Why are you calling me about her? The last thing I want to talk to you about right now is her, okay?" I roll my eyes. "So if you could—"

He scoffs, as if disgusted. "Never mind." He sniffs. "Bye."

The line goes dead.

I pull my phone away from my ear, glancing at the now-black screen. What the fuck was that about? I shake my head and throw the covers off of me. Just as I go to grab my pants, wanting to go over to Alex's place to see what the hell he is on about, I feel an arm snake out and grab my wrist, tugging lightly.

I sigh. "I got a phone call. I need to go check on something."

Her head pokes out from under the comforter, her hair mussed up. Her eyeliner was smudged, but the faint glow coming from the moon gave her a halo of light. She tugged at my wrist again. "No, you don't. You're half-asleep. Come back to bed."

"But—"

"Jack. I know you need your rest after the busy night we had." She smirks smugly.

I give a slight chuckle, dropping my pants back down to the ground. "We did have a busy night," I murmur, climbing back into bed beside Rein. I pull the comforter up over my shoulders, hooking an arm around her waist. She looked up at me, her high-lighted hair ticking my chin. I laugh and tickle the skin of her lower back.

"Mhm," she hums lightly. "And anyway, Alex was probably making up some ridiculous story."

"Probably."

I hadn't seen nor talked to Rein in about seven months before we ran into each other at the gas station one day. I had been getting something from Redbox when she walked up to buy a soda. It was interesting to see her again; she'd gone off the radar after the disaster of a rehearsal dinner. We all thought she had run off just like Sadie before she admitted to just having moved to the other side of Maryland before deciding to return. She wanted to tie up all the loose ends and forgive and forget. Well, she'd tried to forget and is working on the forgive part.

We clicked instantly again. I had always felt like Rein was a good friend, and a great match for my best friend before that all blew up in my face. I was actually the one who introduced Alex to Rein because I'd met her at my mom's yoga class when she'd dragged me along. Then the rest is history.

It wasn't until a month ago that we started this arrangement. It wasn't just casual sex. We went out for coffee and sometimes a movie and, on rare occasions, breakfast the morning after a night filled with sex. My feeling for her only ran as far as my feelings for Cass or Zack went, but she was special to me. We both got screwed over and somehow we connected over that and found the best sex we'd had in a long time.

Alex didn't know. Rian and Cass didn't know. Zack didn't know. Fuck, no one knew but Rein and I. And I'd like to keep it that way.

"Does breakfast sound good tomorrow?" she asks as she rests her head on my chest. "I could really go for some Strawberry pancakes. And since I supplied the condom last night I think you should buy me food."

I laugh, curling my other arm around her and kissing her head. "Sure. I-Hop sound good?"

She nods. "Sounds perfect."

Then we lay in silence, her breathing even and hitting my chest. We didn't sleep, we just lied there. It reminded me of my time with Sadie, when I would wake up and see her auburn hair flown out across the pillow behind her. When I would touch her cheek as she slept, her eyelids fluttering against the skin of my hand. How her face was so relaxed when she was asleep, how she never looked worried or stressed. She was just...Sadie.

I shake my head. She's in the past, she's gone. You're here with Rein. Well, not with Rein, but don't be thinking of another girl when one girl is lying on top of you. Even if the other girl you're thinking of was the girl you wanted to spend the rest of your life with.

I rub my hand down Rein's back. She shifts against me, humming approvingly.

"Hey, you know...since we're both awake..." I whisper against her hair.

She looks up at me, bringing a hand up to push my hair out of my face. "Whatchya thinkin' Jacky?" she grins lightly.

"I know exactly what I'm thinking," I says presumptiously, smashing my mouth against hers. She moans against my lips as I roll over so I am now on top, grabbing her sides and gluing her body against mine.

We helped each other forget. We helped each other remember, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tricked ya. Who thought that this chapter would be the continuation of Sadie and Alex? I SWITCHED IT UP WHOOO. Thoughts?

CatSizzle (x2)
love me always
dearmaria03
BeautifulBreakdown
contemplating.you
spphre4k9
Zirara
AtypicalHeart
thatgirlthere
ValeLizGaskarth
sworethespark
shorty123