Not Your Typical Event

Not Your Typical Event, Chapter Nine- No Air

Luka’s POV

I slowly drifted to sleep on the car ride to the mysterious location. I concentrated on putting everything out of my mind, and the next thing I knew I was being lulled to sleep by the soft motion of the car. I woke up as we pulled sharply into a driveway, and discovered I had been sleeping with my head on Dr. Reid. I sat up immediately, embarrassed, but he said nothing. I stretched, wincing as my injuries protested. Derek exited the car and opened my door for me, and I stepped out cautiously. The house was big, and ultra-modern, with half of it being glass, which I couldn’t comprehend as being ‘safe.’ It was all white and pale gray. I awaited further instruction, nervously looking around. I jumped a little at a sound in a bush near me, but it was just a small rabbit. Derek, as usual, led the way inside. Reid and I followed, with me in the middle of them. I walked into a brightly lit room, with pale gray, soft carpet, suede gray couches, an adjoining kitchen, and a glass coffee table in front of a stone fireplace. Above the fireplace itself was an expensive looking flat screen television, flanked on either side by beautiful paintings of the ocean. Derek set my stuff down near the couch, and pressed a button. Before my very eyes, every glass window/door began to be covered by a sheet of tough-looking metal. The metal sheets slid down from somewhere near the top of the window. Now the whole house seemed very secure, with no way to see in or enter, besides the front door. Derek gave me a list of safety instructions, which basically detailed that I was not allowed to contact anyone in any way until further notice, not even one of the agents, Reid would be taking care of that. I nodded, feeling a tingle in my nose. I shuffled to the bathroom, and sure enough, my nose had begun to bleed again. I grabbed a wad of tissues and walked back to the somewhat puzzled agents. I flopped onto the couch, sighing. “Should we take her to the hospital ?” Derek was asking Dr. Reid. Reid declined, saying that he could take care of it. Derek must have taken his word for it, because he patted my shoulder softly and left.

I was starting to develop a headache to go along with my nosebleed., already this was not going very well. Reid sat down awkwardly next to me, scrunched in the corner of the couch I was mostly occupying. His gaze flicked to me and I smiled a little, trying to reassure him I was fine. He seemed very nervous, and he kept eyeing my still bleeding nose. After a while I turned on the tv, trying to distract him. It was kind of weird to be sitting in silence with someone you didn’t know very well while they stared at you. Also, it gave me the chance to stare back without seeming weird myself. My vision began to blur after a couple hours of television, and I took that as I sign that I was exhausted. I stumbled down the hall to the bedroom to get a blanket, with Reid staring after me of course. Somewhere on the way there, I must have fallen, although I don’t remember it. I must be more tired than I realized, because suddenly I was on the floor clutching the doorframe without realizing how I’d gotten there. Dr. Reid appeared at the end of the hall, then rushed over to me. I gave him the same slight smile as before, and struggled to stand up, mumbling an excuse. I grabbed a blanket and walked back to the living room, in front of the agent. I thought about going to sleep in the bedroom, but I was still wary about sleeping in a foreign bed. I lay down on the couch, wrapped in the blanket. As I began to shuffle around to switch positions, I became aware of a strange, vertigo like sensation. I felt odd, dizzy almost. I ignored it and eventually drifted into an odd sleep.

I woke up gasping to a dark room. I couldn’t catch my breath, and I couldn’t understand why. I was freezing cold, but I was sweaty at the same time. My lungs wouldn’t fill with air, my nose was bleeding once again, and I was ridiculously dizzy. I wasn’t able to find the words to talk, much less call out for help. I finally realized that it wasn’t pitch dark, I just couldn’t open my eyes.

Spencer’s POV

Luka gradually began to fade into sleep on the car ride to the location. Her head had slowly drifted towards me, eventually she rested her head on me as she peacefully slept. I didn’t mind, so long as she got some well deserved rest and quiet. She awoke as we pulled sharply into the driveway, sitting up immediately, obviously embarrassed at her sleeping position. I said nothing. She stretched, visibly wincing. Derek exited the car and opened the door for her, and I stepped out of the vehicle as well. She stood outside the SUV, gazing around uncomfortably. She jumped a foot in the air at the sound of a small animal in some shrubbery near her. Derek led the way inside, and I followed behind Luka. She walked slowly into the warmly lit room that included with soft, light gray carpeting, suede furniture, an adjoining kitchen, and a beautiful stone fireplace. Derek set her bags down near the couch, and pressed a button. Metal sheets slid down over the windows to protect her. Derek gave her a strict list of safety instructions stating that she should not contact anyone under any circumstances. She nodded, the turned and left the room abruptly. She appeared again in a moment, hodling a wad of tissue up to her nose, which was leaking blood. She collapsed onto the couch, sighing heavily. “Should we take her to the hospital ?” Morgan asked me cautiously. I denied, I could handle it. Morgan patted her shoulder and waved to me, leaving.
I sat down awkwardly on the couch next to her, intent on not letting her out of my sight. I remembered what had happened when I had been watching Lila, she had put me and herself at risk. This was not going to happen again. I sneaked a glance at her, and she smiled a sad smile at me, obviously trying to make ME feel better. I returned the gesture. Her nose was started to worry me, and I wondered if I should have taken her to the hospital after all. Buck up, Reid, I told myself. She’ll be fine, you’re overreacting, as usual. She turned on the tv, after many minutes of awkward silence. I tried to focus on the mindless show playing, but my mind and gaze kept wandering back to her. Sometime later, she wandered down the hall to the bedroom, with me glancing curiously after her. A slight thud made me jump up, heart pounding. At the end of the hall I could see she was sitting on the floor, holding onto the frame of the door, looking somewhat bewildered. She forced the same smile as before, and shakily stood up. She snatched a blanket out of the bedroom, shuffling back to the living room. I sat in the armchair directly next to the couch this time, to give her some space. She curled up, wrapping the blanket around her tightly. I watched as she fell into sleep easily, but fitfully. I let myself drift off as well, certain she was safe.

I woke up to the sound of heavy breathing. I flicked on the lamp next to me, horrified. Luka looked so sick, absolutely haggard. Her nose had begun to pour blood again, but her FACE. It was so pale, almost the exact shade of chalk white. It was covered with a sheen of sweat, and her eyes were rolling back, that I could see, even under her eyelids. She was twitching slightly, and gasping for air. I dialed an ambulance without a thought, then Morgan, standing over her, panicked. I felt her forehead, trying to soothe her at least a little. She was freezing cold, and I was frozen in place. At this point, I doubted the paramedics would make it in time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves.” ~Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being