Not Your Typical Event

Not Your Typical Event, Chapter Five- Much too Much

Luka's POV

Hotch, Gideon, and Morgan all peeked into my room, looking through the window I had just been looking out of. I turned away, instead looking out at the gray, rainy day. "I'm very glad you're alive," Hotch told me, stern as ever. "Woo-hoo, me too," I stated flatly. Gideon and Morgan exchanged looks. I was sure that the motive behind his words was that I was important to his case, and nothing more. I had no one now, and why should that surprise me ? No one since my parents but Mark had ever wanted me. I was just another victim on a case he needed to solve, I was an asset and nothing more. Call me cynical, but I tell it like it is.

I suffered through three more days in the hospital, undergoing countless tests to determine the cause of my seemingly random nose-bleed. I didn’t contract another one, and no cause could be found, so I was deemed fit to leave after five days in the hospital. The accident had happened on Monday, it was hard to believe that it had only been less than a week, it seemed like a lifetime ago. I guess in the face of tragedy, time is irrelevant. I exited the hospital in black leggings and a blue tunic, wheeled out in a wheelchair. Agent’s Morgan and Reid were to drive me to an undisclosed location. Undisclosed to me, that is. It was supposed to be a “surprise”. I hate surprises.

Morgan sat in the front, driving, while Dr. Reid and I sat in the backseat together, awkwardly. I was feeling depressed at having to say goodbye to Mark, who would stay in the hospital for extensive therapy for quite a while. He had been making remarkable progress, and I was so proud of him. He was still the bright and happy Mark I knew, despite his condition. He really didn’t let anything get him down. Much too soon, we pulled up at a large, Victorian style home. I was confused, until Derek opened my door and said “Welcome to your new home.”

I had been adopted.

A happy couple came to greet me where I stood, stunned, on the driveway of my new house. The mother walked right up to me and hugged me, gushing. The dad smiled broadly and waved. Right away, I could see the type of people they were; rich, lawyer types who had gym memberships and book club and country-club golf-outings every second Saturday. I looked to Reid in disbelief. Without hesitation, my new parents led me inside. The agents left both of their cell-phone numbers with the couple in case of emergency contact. The lady( I would not think of her as my mother) showed me around the beautiful home with much too much enthusiasm. The living room was expansive, bigger than my old kitchen and bedroom combined. The whole house was very open, with a lot of windows and a lot of accents. An actual large stone fireplace was the centerpiece for the foyer, which only heightened my stereotype for these people. “You have a brother !” The male told me, still smiling that creepy-white over-smile. As if on cue, a small toddler around two or three entered the room. “Now, he’s shy, you two will have to warm up to one another.” She picked him up, baby-talking to him. “Noah, this is Luka. Luka, this is your new brother, Noah.” He reached his arms out for me, much unexpected since it contradicted her statement from moments before. She looked ecstatic as I grabbed him and shifted him to my hip. I loved him immediately, much to my own surprise. He was so good-looking already, with his dad’s bright pale blue eyes and sandy-brown hair. His dad retrieved him from me and his mom grabbed my wrist, and all but pulled me upstairs. She opened a door at the very end of the hall, facing the back of the house. “This is your bedroom.”

The room was huge, as I’d come to expect. On one side, a monstrous canopy bed was pushed against the wall, the head right next to the window. The view from the large picture window was amazing, a beautiful flower garden looked back at me, complete with stone fountain. The room itself was entirely pale pink with white accents. She handed me a clipboard and left the room, squealing with delight. I looked at the clipboard, on it was a piece of paper. I quickly scanned through it, horrified. It was a schedule. A schedule ! Every minute of every day was planned accordingly. Ballet on Monday’s and Wednesday’s, Horseback riding on Tuesdays, Piano on Thursdays, and my therapy on Friday’s. The whole time I was being given the tour, I had been dying to call Derek and be able to tell him how horrible this place was. I had been COUNTING on it being horrible. But now, as I looked around, I understood. I realized why the wife was so excited to have me; it was now so obvious to me that they had been unable to conceive another child. They had been wanting a girl, but instead they had gotten Noah. Now they had me; I was their miracle. They were just the type of people to want the perfect, all-American daughter. How was I supposed to rip that out from under them ?
♠ ♠ ♠
"You take as much of the good as you can get, because it doesn't come around nearly as often as it should. 'Cause good things aren't always what they seem. Too much of anything, even love, is not always a good thing.How do you know when how much is too much? Too much too soon? Too much information? Too much fun? Too much love? Too much to ask? And when is it all just too much to bear ?"~Grey's Anatomy, Meredith Grey