Not Your Typical Event

Not Your Typical Event, Chapter Six- Deja Vu

I checked the closet, curious. I was not disappointed; staring back at me were mountains of neatly folded jeans, all brand new, in every wash imaginable. Also, sweaters in every soft fabric and every color were hung up neatly, then t-shirts and tank tops as well. There were at least ten pairs of shoes orderly lined up on the floor of the large closet as well. I walked into it, and looked closer at a particular pair of shoes; they were ballet shoes. I sighed, leaving the closet to scope out the drawers to find something decent to wear. A drawer full of jodphurs and ballet leotards and tights, a drawer full of skirts, a drawer filled with pajamas. I couldn’t help but laugh at the intimate’s drawer, it was filled with lacy panties and sexy bras from Victoria’s Secret. I never could have worn that stuff before, shopping with Mark. It was creepy how she knew my size for everything though….I finally settled on some tan cargo shorts that were actually cute, and a tight red tank top. I pulled up a number on my phone, contemplating whether to call it when my “mom” walked into the room. “How do you like it ?!” She inquired excitedly. She looked at my outfit, obviously pleased that I had dressed in my new clothes. “It’s really nice…..um, thanks.” I said tentatively. “No problem,” she said, hugging me again, unexpectedly. “A social worker is downstairs waiting to speak with you, then lunch is at 1:30,” she told me, leaving the room. I checked the clock; it was 1:00 now. I smoothed my hair and followed her out, glancing back at my new room behind me as I walked.

The social worker introduced herself as Ms. Maxwell. She seemed really nice, and I began to wish that she was my therapist instead of Dr. Hammon. “Dr. Reid has told me a lot about you,” Ms. Maxwell remarked. My stomach fluttered at the sound of his name. I must’ve blushed, because she smiled knowingly and said, “ He’s a real cutie isn’t he ?” “He’s something all right,” I said, hoping to come off as indifferent to redeem myself. She filled me in quietly on what I had already guessed, that Mrs. Mason ( my adoptive mother) had been unable to conceive after almost losing Noah during childbirth. The couple desperately wanted a girl, and they had tried for years before deciding to adopt. “You’re very lucky that you were adopted so quickly, and that the couple wanted to adopt an older child. It’s harder to place kids with good homes after they reach a certain age.” She confided to me. I didn’t feel lucky, having to start my life over at fifteen, with an entirely new family, but I remained silent. Ms. Maxwell hugged me when she left, leaving me to eat lunch with my new family.

Almost habitually, I stroked Noah’s hair as I walked by his highchair. He cooed and reached out for me. I surprised myself with my instincts toward him, I already felt very protective over him. My “dad” started making small talk about the oddity of Noah’s behavior toward me, and I nodded and “mm-hmm’ed” appropriately, only half listening. I excused myself as soon as I was done, racing up to my room. I dialed my phone, flopping onto my bed, back against the wall. “Dr. Reid ! I’m so glad you answered. I….I don’t think I can do this.”

I kept my voice low, almost sorry I had called him. I picked him not only because I was ridiculously attracted to him, but because I felt that he would be the most understanding. Morgan would probably tell me to suck it up, and proceed to tell me how lucky I was. I filled Reid in on the details, and he listened intently. He gave really good advice, telling me that this could only be temporary, and telling me not to think of this as a permanent residence. By the time we ended the phone call, it was already dinner time. Talking for so long had left me really thirsty and pretty hungry as well. I was smiling as I descended the stairs, thinking about Reid’s sexy voice.

It felt weird not only to be eating outside on an expensive wood deck, surrounding by flowers and fruit trees, but to be eating delicious food. I had only eaten the bare minimum at the hospital, and only because I didn’t want them to insert a stomach tube and feed me that way. I gazed around the beautiful scenery as I ate. I desperately wanted to take pictures; I secretly wanted to become a photographer, but only Mark knew that. And he wasn’t here.
I played with Noah for a while, then watched some mindless ABC Family film with my new family, then went to bed early, around 10:00. I didn’t actually fall asleep until much later; I kept replaying everything that had happened up until the accident, trying to determine what the last thing I said to Mark was before we both almost lost our lives.

I woke up and it was still dark, but there was a large commotion ensuing downstairs. I crept out of bed, opening my door a crack, silently being thankful for the location of my room; I could see perfectly down the staircase when looking out my door. The agents were here again ! I strained to hear snippets of conversation, and my heart dropped as I heard “He’s coming back for her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
"For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won." ~ Lucy Maud Montgomery

( I realize that my fanfics always feature teenage girls around 14-15, but I figure its more relatable that way, you know ? I'm not one to write cliche love stories, and its not like they are going to get together. Dont like it ? Dont read it.)