Not Your Typical Event

Not Your Typical Event, Chapter Seven- Life's Grievences, Amplified

Hotch’s POV
I stared intently at the letter in my hand, disbelieving. It was a note from our unsub, stating that he would be back for the girl. It was highly unlikely for this type of unsub to make contact with the authorities, much less return for a victim. He must be outraged, he must have been furious when he heard the news that one of his targets had escaped relatively unscathed. We had no choice, I had to take my agents to her house right now, in order to save her life.
“Reid, Morgan, follow me.” I picked Morgan and Reid not only because they worked well together, but because they seemed the closest to this case, and to the victim. She would be comfortable and trusting with them, and she needed that right now. I showed them the note, and gave them the address of a safe location for the victim. It was similar to the Lila Archer situation; with the victim at risk being taken to an undisclosed location for a while, to ensure safety. Again, Reid would be the supervisor on the case, staying with the girl. I felt that he had done well the last time, and I was willing to trust him again. Morgan would drive them over there, and depending on how long the stay was, bring groceries and other needs as the situation called for.

Morgan’s POV

I drove back to the Mason house with Reid in the passenger seat. Hotch had called us into his office around 2:00, alleviating us from our paperwork. Reid was awfully quiet next to me, and I inquired on what was wrong. He shrugged, saying he was ‘just tired.’ I didn’t quite believe him, but I let it go. I pulled into the driveway of the large mansion, sighing. This poor girl, she was already probably battling PTSD, survivors guilt, and injuries, not to mention emotional strain and trying to adjust to a new family and lifestyle. She was only fifteen years old……

Luka’s POV

I shut my door, crying and shaking. My hand clapped over my mouth so I wouldn’t make noise, but I was so, so afraid. Fear gripped me like an iron bar, making it hard for me to breathe. What had I done to deserve this ? Surely this had to be some sort of twisted karma, payback for some action committed long ago. I was too scared to even move, suddenly afraid that the unsub would be behind me, or that I would catch a glimpse of him in the mirror. And so I stood, with hot tears streaming down my now pale face, staring at the wood door of my new bedroom, unable to move. I stayed that way until Agent Morgan opened my door and flicked on my light. I hung my head, embarrassed that I was weeping like a baby. He didn’t say a word, only walked over to me and tilted my chin up with one finger, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. “Grab a bag and some bare essentials, a couple of outfits, we need to take you where you can be safe, okay ?” I nodded, suddenly self conscious at my choice of sleepwear. I was wearing one of those sleeveless shirts that have the huge openings on the sides that go from your shoulder to your hip, with a sports bra underneath and tiny silk shorts. And they were all pink.

Dr. Reid stood in the doorway of my embarrassing bedroom, talking softly with Agent Morgan while I hastily stuffed some random clothing into a bag. I had only brought a few personal things from my previous house with me, so all I had to pack in the way of creature-comfort was books and dvd’s. Morgan slung my duffel bag onto his broad shoulder, and lead the way downstairs. I slipped on some fluffy slippers and followed Reid out the door, of course recieving hugs from my new family. I hoped that now they would be safe…..

I halted outside of the vehicle, realizing how much I didn’t want to ride in the car. After my accident, on the ride here, I hadn’t thought much about being afraid to ride in the car again. But then, I hadn’t known that my nightmare wasn’t over. I stood awkwardly outside the SUV, still wiping my tears that wouldn’t stop flowing. The late summer night had a hint of coldness to it, the only sign of the impending autumn. I shivered as a chilly breeze seemed to whisper past my bare legs, blowing my light brown hair around my shoulders, bare as well. Derek was putting my bag in the back of the vehicle, and situating something inside. I looked at my feet, wiggling my toes on the rough cement. I hadn’t noticed Reid until he touched my shoulder, signaling it was time to depart. I looked up at him with sad eyes, completely mortified at my behavior the whole time I had known him. He probably thought I was a total bitch, not to mention a whiny teenager. My behavior in the hospital had been horrible, then I had called him complaining about the rich new life that had fallen into my lap, and now I was sobbing like I was a seven year old with a skinned knee. My emotions overwhelmed me then; grief, chagrin, pain…. I slowly shuffled towards the car, wishing that I hadn’t survived the accident, that someone more deserving at a second chance had.
♠ ♠ ♠
"It isn’t just death we have to grieve. It’s life. It’s loss. It’s change. And when we wonder why it has to suck so much sometimes, has to hurt so bad. The thing we’ve got to try to remember is that it can turn on a dime. That’s how you stay alive. When it hurts so much you can’t breathe, that’s how you survive. By remembering that one day, somehow, impossibly, you won’t feel this way. It won’t hurt this much.”~ Grey's Anatomy