Status: One Shot. Might think about making longer if people like it.

Don't get attached, Don't form bonds, Never fall in love.

Don't get attached, Don't form bonds, Never fall in love.

I never planned on falling in love. Why bother when the people you love always leave? That had been my mentality for the majority of my life. Don’t get attached. Don’t form bonds. Most importantly never fall in love.

Luckily I met another with the same philosophy , he’s hot as hell, funny, is great in bed, and vows to never get married. Perfect. We’ve known each other since the 5th grade, crazy right? We’ve been friends since High School, with some benefits. Those benefits continued well through college and into our adult lives.

He works as a trainer, like with horses or whatever, I never really asked questions, I don’t understand it but it makes him happy. And when he’s happy I get laid, a lot.

I work only 20minutes away, in a small suburban design studio, people with expensive hobbies have big expensive houses. I get to spend my day making those houses into homes, and spending other peoples money. And that makes me happy.

We have a mutual understanding, we live close enough that if one person is in need of a little attention the other will hop in their car and go over, stay the night and not have to worry about hurting the others feelings. Simple. Easy.

Everything was simple and easy until suddenly he decided he wanted a girlfriend.

“So, this girl, you really like her?” I asked grabbing his shirt from the floor. “No more benefits, William?”

“She’s cool, but we’re not exclusive. So that wasn’t our last benefit Elle” he smiled turning to his side. His bright eyes shimmering. “I enjoy the benefits thoroughly.”

“Good, me too” I replied with a sleepy smile. “Go again in the morning?”

“Go again in a minute or two” he joked. “You are far too good at this. And to think you used to be my little virgin.”

“Hey now. I don’t sleep around, I have never gone home with a random when we’ve been out. . . You’ve broken me in very well and in doing so you have ruined me for all other men . . .”

“Meaning?”

“It’s your fault no one ever lives up to the standards you have set. You did too good of a job, Will.”

“I’ve got mad skills, Elle, what can I say?” He shrugged before climbing on top of me. “Speaking of . . .” he whispered grinding his hips against mine, “How do you want it babe?”

“Oh my, you’re too good . . .” I laughed.

******

Things are getting weird with Will and I. He doesn’t call as much as he used to and occasionally he’s ignored my calls. Things with the girl are getting serious, and I don’t like it one bit.

“Hey” he said opening his door for me. “Sorry I’ve been busy lately.”

“It’s cool, I was just worrying that I had done something to upset you” I replied taking off my coat and shoes, placing them near the door. I had spent hours upon hours helping him decorate his house, it suited him but is still friendly for a girl to be here too.

“You’re fine Elle, no worries” he smiled handing me a glass of wine. We both took a sip of our drinks before he kissed my cheek and turned away, perfect for me to take a big gulp.

“How’s the girl?” I asked following him to the kitchen, we both leaned against the countertop a good 5 feet apart.

“Good, we had dinner a few days ago . . .”

“Why do we never just hang out anymore? We used to go to dinner, meet up for lunch, all that stuff.”

“We stopped when people started asking how long we’ve been married.”

“Oh that’s right. I almost forgot that . . .”

“It freaked us both out” he laughed. “Times have changed” he added in a whisper, almost like he hadn’t wanted me to hear him. Finishing his drink, he set his empty glass on the counter and walked over to me with a look of desire in his eyes.

He was fast asleep, lightly snoring, his eyelashes resting on his cheeks. He’s so handsome, and my best friend, he knows me better than anyone else. How well does he know this new girl? Does she know how he got the scar on his lip? Or that when we were 12 he fell off a bull and broke his ribs? Does she know that he puts up this tough exterior but he’s really just as heartbroken as me? That he’s the only person who I trust to be my self around? The only one who can make me laugh when I feel like there is nothing to laugh about? He’s my person. I don’t want to share him . . .

Oh crap.

I’m attached. I’ve formed bonds. I . . . I love him.

Slowly I got out of the bed and got dressed, being careful not to wake him. I grabbed a pen and wrote him a note before placing a kiss on his forehead and leaving.

Will,
I have to go. I don’t want to hold you back on finding love. I hope your new girl is everything you could ever want and need. Please don’t call. I need time
Elle

*****

‘Elle, I know you said not to call but what are you talking about? You need time for what? I don’t . . .’ ‘Seriously since when do you not return my calls? Elle, talk to me . . .’ ‘Fine don’t talk to the one person you have known for over 15 years . . .’ ‘It’s been a month Elle, tomorrows my birthday. You know that. I miss you. I miss my friend. We’re all meeting at Mack’s tomorrow at 8, come. Please.’

To say that time apart made things easier would be a lie. Its made it worse. I miss him, not the sex, but him. His laugh. His eyes. His arms wrapped around me. That’s why I’m standing here in front of Mack’s, his favorite bar, wondering if I should go in.

I took a deep breath and started towards the door. Looking in the window I saw him standing there. He looks amazing per usual, a gray shirt snug over his arms and chest, fade blue jeans hanging just right from his hips, and worn in boots, his hair was a perfect mess. He kept looking around, then down at his phone, like he was waiting for some one. I opened the door and slowly made my way to where he stood with his friends, Jake and Taylor.

“Elle” he whispered immediately pulling me into his arms.

“Will” I gasped burying my face in his chest. “Happy birthday William.” I didn’t want to let go of him, his arms were still tight around me for a few more seconds.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” he took my face in his hands, “I’ve missed you Elle. Don’t disappear on me again ok?”

“I’ll do my best” I smiled looking up at him. I just want to reach up and kiss him. Hold his hand and never let him go, but we had an understanding a deal so to speak. “Will, I need to talk to you.”

“Ok” he said semi-surprised, “let’s find somewhere quieter. Outside maybe?”

“Sure” I said letting him lead me back out side.

“So what do you need to talk about babe?”

I told him everything I had been thinking about over the past few weeks, he just stood there. I’m not sure if he was looking at me because I wasn’t looking at him the majority of the time but he didn’t leave. I was beyond nervous and beyond the random eye contact I couldn’t look at him. “William I love you, I don’t know when that happened but I do, I love you.”

“Whoa Really?” he laughed. At that moment I felt my heart breaking a little. But this is what I get, this is what happens when you fall in love. “Elle are you serious? You said you would never fall in love and you picked me to change . . .”

“It’s not funny William” I said turning away from him. What the hell was I thinking? Like he would ever feel the same about me. “Goodbye Will” I half-yelled half-choked as I walked away.

“Elle, really you’re going to just leave?” I heard him said behind me, I kept walking. There is no way I can look back at him. “Elle, Elle stop. ELENORE! Wait.” I heard his heavy foot falls behind me before I felt his hands on my shoulders spinning me around. Instantly his mouth found mine, his arms tight around me, holding me in place.

“Will” I gasped as he brushed my cheek with his thumb.

“If you would have given me a minute I would have said I’ve been thinking about you everyday every minute since you left my house and that damn note! I haven’t seen Jill since a week before then. Every other girl I see I compare to you. Their eyes aren't as bright, smiles aren’t as warm. You’ve been the girl that I tell everything to, who I want in my bed at night. Elle I haven’t had sex in a month! I love you damn it!”

“You do?” He nodded brushing my hair from my face. “I love you too.” He pulled me in for another kiss, a smile on his face. “This doesn’t mean that we are ever getting married, or having kids though.”

“Doesn’t matter. Best birthday ever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this is it. Let me know what you thought. Do you want it to be a longer story? I'm leaning towards making this a full length story. Not sure though. Comment please.