Status: New Chapter posted!! :)

Shaded Beauty

Chapter One

Shaya sighed irritatingly as she scanned the homework problem in front of her for the sixth time. If she'd had her way, this entire assignment would have been finished hours ago in the confines of her own home. Then she would have the rest of a beautiful Sunday evening to dive into the book that was eagerly waiting on her nightstand. Instead, she was sprawled out on her best friend’s bedroom floor, and he was making it very hard to concentrate with his constant interruptions. Now, she could feel his unriveting gaze digging into her back from his post on the bed, and it was driving her crazy.

Sure enough, she turned around to find his attention completely set on her, his own textbooks ignored and shoved off to the side. "What?" she asked, knowing he was itching to say something.

Lucas growled as he slammed his book shut, "Will you please quit gnawing on that damn pencil of yours? It sounds like your trying to chop down a tree, and it's very distracting."

"Well that makes sense, considering a pencil is made of wood, although I believe the tree has already been chopped down."

He hated when she outwitted him, a fact she loved to use to her amusement, "Smart ass."

"Besides, you’re the one who's being distracting," Shaya rolled over and sat up, "You asked me here to do homework, Lucas, but I haven't seen you finish a single problem. I'm not going to let you watch me do my work then hand off the answers to you."

"This is just so boring." his hands quickly ran though his chestnut hair, "you know I'm terrible at physics and not a freaking genius like you are."

Shaya blushed as she looked away. Sure, she was smart; her 4.0 GPA and top rank in the class proved that. However, that was largely due to a diligent attitude and a ton of hard work. Calling her a genius was a huge exaggeration, one she refused to accept.

“You know how much I hate it when you call me that.”

"you make it sound like an insult," Lucas crawled across the bed until he was right in front of her, staring intently, "You're a genius, funny, gorgeous..."

Oh good lord, he was giving her that look. The one that Shaya dreaded every time they were alone because it never led to anything good. For years Lucas had been trying to make a move on her, and she had been doing a pretty good job at resisting. However, when she couldn't diffuse the situation and change the subject, her rejection always led to an awkward tension or angry words.

"Lucas..." she warned. This is why I’d rather be at home.

"Come on, Shay, you know how I feel about you."

Oh, right, love, or so he claimed. "Really? Because not more than 30 minutes ago you were telling me about how you got with Maggie Allman last night."

He didn't respond, outsmarted once again, and she took the opportunity to avert the danger waiting ahead, "Come on," Shaya turned back to her papers and away from her friend, "I want to finish this before I go home." She froze when there was no response, afraid that her distraction hadn't worked, but soon the sheets rustled as he returned to his former position.

Persistent little gnat. She had known Lucas forever. They had bonded instantly when she moved into the neighborhood twelve years ago and remained inseparable throughout the years. Then he decided that he was undyingly in love with her and it got harder to enjoy simple moments like these.

It wasn't that she was completely appalled by him; he was actually incredibly handsome, had a great sense of humor, and their years of friendship made her feel completely safe around him. No, the reason she tried to keep herself calmly centered in the friend zone was because Lucas had a track record. Just when she thought he might be serious about her and start contemplating the idea of being with him, he’d call her just to boast about his latest bedroom conquest.

“Shaya?”

She sighed as she was drawn away from her homework once more. It’s a good thing I’m on the last problem or I’d strangle him. “What is it now?”

“I can’t figure this problem out. Can you please come help me?”

This boy would be three grades back if it weren’t for me. “Alright,” She stood up and climbed next to him on the bed, “Which problem is stumping you?” He pointed to it and she leaned in closer to read it, “Seriously, Lucas? This is just like the one before it, except you have to reverse the numbers and place them in the right equation on the sheet. Understand?” No response followed, “Lucas?”

“What?”

“Did you hear a single word I just said?”

“Um…no.”

She grumbled loudly as she socked him in the arm, “Why the hell not?”

He turned in her direction, and Shaya froze as his eyes were glazed over with that look once more, “Because I can smell your shampoo and it’s driving me crazy.”

Maybe persistent was an understatement. Now that the topic had been brought up a second time, Shaya knew it would be ten times harder to dissuade him.

“Lucas, please,” She pleaded with him, although her voice was soft and inviting. His sparkling hazel eyes were piercing into her, and she couldn’t deny the desire that filled them as he watched her was captivating. This isn’t going to end well.

“Come on, Shay,” Lucas leaned closer to her, and Shaya felt a knot form in the pit of her stomach. “I know you’re attracted to me. It’s impossible not to be.”

She snorted, “Your vanity astounds me.”

Her humor didn’t succeed in steering him away, “We should be together. I love you, and we already share so much together, it’s only natural.”

“Lucas, you know my reasons why.”

“And I’ve told you that all of that would change if you were mine,” He leaned closer, their faces only inches apart, and he pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear, “Just one kiss. One kiss and you’ll change your mind.”

Shaya didn’t respond, but her eyes never left his. He’d never put her in this situation before, never come so close to crossing the line. She knew that if she pulled away it would most likely end in a fight as he threw her out of the room. But now, in the moment, she wasn’t sure what she wanted. Could one little kiss change everything?

Suddenly the sound of rapid footsteps climbing the stairs was heard, and in the last second Shaya pulled away before the bedroom door burst open.

“Lucas, mom says you need to come down for dinner!”

Lucas glared at his younger brother, furious at the interruption, “Dammit, Max, you could at least knock.”

The eleven-year-old wiggled his eyebrows, “What, did I interrupt something?”

“That’s none of your business. Now get out of here before I throw you out the window.”

The preteen gave a few quick kissy faces before bolting out of the room, narrowly avoiding the pillow that had been hurled at his face.

“Little shit,” Lucas swore as his anger slowly died down. “Now, where were we…?”

“Sorry,” The quick distraction had given Shaya enough time to take a step back and come to her senses. God Dammit, Lucas, you charismatic devil. I could have ruined everything. “I think I should get going home.”

“What?” Lucas sat up straight in the bed. “Don’t flake out on me now!” He reached over and grabbed her wrist, throwing her off balance. “You were going to kiss me a minute ago.”

Shaya slowly pulled her hand from his grasp and moved to pick up her books. Please don’t get mad. “Call it a moment of insanity.”

“Whatever.”

She could hear the anger rising in his voice as he completely turned away from her. Now she had two choices; she could leave now and pray that his anger would diminish overnight, or she could try and fix things now, although her multiple attitude swings might at fuel to the flame.

In the end she decided to take the risk and moved to wrap him in a hug. Lucas stiffened at first, but eventually his body relaxed and he returned the gesture, “I’m sorry, Lucas, I just…never mind.” There's no point in trying to explain this for the thousandth time. “I really should get going, though. I’m sure my mom’s got dinner ready too.” Shaya pulled out of his arms and turned to leave.

“One day, Shaya.” She turned to find Lucas hadn’t moved, but a mischievous grin was spread across his face. “One day, you’ll be mine.”

“Maybe.” At least he’s smiling. That could have been dangerous. “Don’t forget to pick me up tomorrow, or you won’t live to hear me say yes.” He rolled his eyes in response, and she picked up a pencil from the dresser to throw at his head before escaping into the hallway and out the door.

******

A few hours later, Shaya was comfortably nestled in her bed, her long awaited novel resting in her hands. Finally she thought as she turned to the first chapter. Shaya was now regretting putting Lucas’s mind at ease; even though she had left his house, he continued to call her every twenty for help on his stumped problems. It was only now, after a shower and an hour with a silent phone, that she dared devote herself to fiction.

As soon as she had turned the page, however, her phone began to ring once more. Shaya growled furiously as she answered without bothering to look. “Seriously, Lucas, it’s ten-thirty. There’s no way you are still doing homework.”

“He’s still doing his homework? What in idiot.”

Shaya relaxed at the sound of the female voice, “I’m sorry, Kat. Lucas has been calling me all night for help.”

“And how was studying with Lucas?”

Shaya met Katrina on the first day of high school and the two girls instantly bonded. Katrina was a bubbly girl with a positive attitude and a set of ears that were always open to her friend’s problems. She gave Shaya a third voice, an outside view of the conundrum between her and her childhood friend.

“The same as always, of course.” Her fingers traced circles in the pages of her books as she thought back to earlier events and her voice got quiet. “I almost let him kiss me.”

“Really?” She listened as her friend sat up straight on the other end, better positioned to pay attention. “I just don’t understand why you haven’t given him a chance. You know Lucas better than anyone, Shay.”

“And that’s exactly why I don’t. He says he loves me, he’d give up the girls for me, but if he can’t do that now how can I trust him to later on? I just don’t want to ruin our friendship when I’m not even sure how I feel about him.”

“I guess. I just hate watching you two dance around each other, but I guess patience is a virtue.” Shaya smiled, grateful that the issue had been easily dropped. “Now, have I got news for you…”

One hour and a lengthy conversation later, Shaya was finally left alone with the peace and quiet of her bedroom. It was later than she had planned on being up, but her book had yet to be turned past the second page.

Well, I suppose getting past the first chapter won’t hurt…

******

The next morning, Shaya grumbled as she was stirred awake by blaring music. God dammit Sam, turn that down she internally swore at her sister and threw an arm over her exposed ear, hoping to drown out the music. It didn’t help, however, and the music continued to play, filling her mind with noise.

“Sam, turn that down!” She finally shouted aloud as she rose out of bed. Now that she was functionally awake, she realized that the music was coming from her phone. Reading the name that blinked on the screen, she angrily punched the answer button. “Lucas-“

“I’m sorry Shay, please don’t yell at me. I’ll be at your house in two minutes.”

Two minutes? It was then that she noticed her surroundings; the book sprawled out on her pillow, the sun shining brightly through her window, and the clock that read 7:40. I am SO late.

“Umm, take your time, gotta go.” She quickly responded before snapping the device shut and jumping out of bed. Quickly she ran into the bathroom and shoved a toothbrush in her mouth before ransacking her dresser. I can’t believe I passed out without setting an alarm. Outside a horn honked, and a swear shot out through her foam filled teeth. After throwing on the first thing she found and rinsing the peppermint from her mouth, Shaya grabbed her bag and sprinted out the door.

“What’s going on?” Lucas asked as she tumbled into his car.

“You woke me up when you called,” She rested her head on the dashboard, “I can’t believe I did that.” She then glanced at the clock and groaned.

Lucas didn’t seem fazed by the situation, “You slept in, Shay, no biggie. We’ve got ten minutes to get to school, we’ll be fine.”

They were not fine. Shaya was sure the world was out to get her when every stoplight they encountered turned red. By the time they pulled into the parking lot, the final could be heard ringing through the halls.

“I’m screwed.” Shaya grumbled as she readied herself to jump out of the car.

“We’re late, so what?”

“So, Mrs. Greely hates it when it when people are late and I’m going to get a detention.” She silently prayed that maybe since it was her first offense, the crazy teacher would give her a break. Yeah, maybe over her dead body. Lucas is lucky Mr. Sharp doesn’t care.

As soon as Lucas pulled into a spot, Shaya thrust open the door and made a mad dash for the large building in front of her. “I’ll see you at lunch!” She called out to her friend, not even taking the time to look back.

Once she reached her classroom, Shaya took a moment to catch her breath and mentally prepare herself. What do I say? Do I just quietly make my way to my desk without saying a word? In the end she decided to walk in and pray that Mrs. Greely didn’t call her out.

When she opened the door, however, her previous plan flew out the window as she stood in place. Standing in front of the chalkboard was a handsome young man, his focus turned directly on her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the first chapter in a new story i've been inspired to write. I know my summary isn't the greatest (i'm terriblle at those things) but it is a friend/student/teacher love triangle story with lots of twists and turns. I hope i've at least got your attention and you'll stick around to see what happens next! And, as always, questions, comments, and concerns are welcome! :)