Status: New Chapter posted!! :)

Shaded Beauty

Chapter Three

That evening, Shaya was once again curled up in her bed with a book in her hand. English homework had been finished, dinner had been eaten, and necessary phone calls had been made, so with a few hours to kill she decided to put another dent in the pages. Thankfully Kat had chores. If she had more time, Shaya knew that Katrina would have spent the entire evening analyzing her twenty minute detention and talking about their new teacher.

Shaya didn’t tell the inquisitive blonde the whole truth, though. As she gave the play-by-play of her detention, she decided last-minute to leave out the part where she got caught staring at him. That’s all she needs; give Katrina an idea I have a crush and she’ll run with it for miles.

“Hey.”

Shaya looked over to find her sister Sam leaning against her doorway. “Were you shouting my name this morning or was that a part of my dream?”

“No, that was me,” Shaya admitted as her sister came in and sat with her on the bed. “I thought you were blaring music, but it was Lucas calling me. I slept in.”

“Wait a minute,” Sam put her hands up dramatically, “You’re telling me that you, Shaya Wilson, star student, was late for class this morning?”

Shaya gave her a playful shove as she glared. “Not funny, but yes. Want to hear the best part?” The elder nodded excitedly. “We had a new teacher today.”

“New teacher?”

“Yeah, Mrs. Greely’s done. His name is Mr. Rylander. And he’s young and attractive.” She spluttered the last part out quickly, hoping her sister wouldn’t catch it, but her attempt failed.

“He’s attractive? Spill.” Sam was practically sitting on her sister’s lap. There’s no way I’m going to get out of this one.

“There’s not much to say,” Shaya replied as she casually shrugged her shoulders. “He started today and he’s attractive. Not very friendly though. He’s really reserved.”

“Still,” She eased up on her assault and Shaya sighed with relief, “I wish they’d have hired gorgeous teachers when I went to school there.”

“Really, Sam?” She raised an eyebrow. Twenty-three and my sister still acts like she’s twelve. “You come in here every day talking about the cute guy that walked into the café. The last thing you needed in school was a young teacher to ogle instead of paying attention.”

“Hey now, I got a job despite my average grades.”

“You work for mom!”

She shrugged as she stood up, “A job’s a job.”

Shaya shook her head and absentmindedly returned her attention to the book in front of her. Although her and her sister were close, the two had clashing personalities. Sam was a wild one who had no life ambitions until their mom took her under her wing. She didn’t care about school, whereas it meant everything to Shaya. Everyone always said it was because Shaya took after her mom, whereas Sam was an image of her father.

“Well,” Sam said, drawing Shaya out of her thoughts, “I’m going to bed. Mom’s got me opening shop tomorrow morning.” She rose off the bed and walked to the door. “Need me to wake you up tomorrow? I can blast some music if you’d like. “

Shaya glared at her sister, “I’ll be good, thanks.”

She shrugged, “Suit yourself,” She replied before walking out of the room.

Shaya chuckled softly to herself, but in an afterthought checked her alarm once again. If I sleep in again she WILL start waking me up.

**********

The next morning, Shaya was pacing through her living room anxiously. After looking out the window for the tenth time, she checked the clock and read 7:34. Where is he? An internal battle raged in her mind, and after pacing for another minute she finally pulled out her phone.

“Hello?” a groggy voice answered on the other line.

“Lucas, where are you? It’s after 7:30.”

“…shit.”

“Please tell me you’re not still in bed,” She pleaded, but the sound of rustling sheets told her it was useless.

“I’ll be there in five minutes.” He replied before hanging up, and it took everything in her to not throw the device across the room.

This is a joke. She tried to remain calm, but grisly visions began flashing through her mind. Mr. Rylander will see me as either a slack or a liar. Any positive notions he might have had of me yesterday are going down the drain.

Ten minutes later she saw Lucas’s car in the distance and immediately ran out the door.

“Drive,” was the only thing she said as she got in the car.

“Shaya-“

“Lucas, I am furious right now. Just…give me a minute.” She ran a hand through her hair as she felt the car drive. “I can’t believe this is happening.” My second day with Mr. Rylander and I’m going to be late. Again.

“I’m sorry,” was all he replied.

“I know. It’s not your fault.” She gave him a knowing yet small smile. “I just can’t believe I’m going to be late twice for this new guy.”

“Screw him,” the disgust was apparent on his face and Shaya looked away in a sort of embarrassment. “Don’t let that tool get you worked up.”

“Yeah,” was all she could think to reply. Why do I feel like he’s insulted me as well?

As they pulled into the parking lot, Shaya glanced at the clock. We’ve got a minute before the bell rings; I might make it in time. She didn’t even give Lucas a glance as she bolted out of the car and toward the building. As her feet hit the cement and her hand grasped the handle, however, the sound of the bell pierced her ears, and she nearly collapsed in defeat.

Colton stood up and observed the classroom as he waited for the day to begin. Now that it was his second day, the attention of the room wasn’t entirely focused on him, but every now and then he watched as some girl glanced in his direction before giggling madly with her friends. Well, at least they’re not outright staring at me.

As he looked around, though, he noticed that Shaya wasn’t there. Is she sick? Being late twice in a row doesn’t exactly seem like her style. The worried look on her friend’s face confirmed his thoughts. The bell then rang, drawing him out of his daze, and he moved to the front of his desk.

“Alright, let’s calm down,” He announced, and the talking slowly ceased. “When I call your name, make a notion of your presence. Lauren Alig-“

Colton couldn’t help it; as the door opened and he watched Shaya walk into the classroom late, his eyebrow rose, asking her the silent question, ‘Seriously?’

Shaya didn’t say anything as she scrambled to her desk, but a small smile had found its way on her face. He doesn’t seem mad. Actually, that look he just gave me was almost…playful?

After the moment had passed and he continued calling off the names, Katrina looked over, a wicked grin on her face, “You know, I was joking about coming late just to spend time with him.”

She turned to Kat and rolled her eyes. “It was Lucas’s fault,” Was the only explanation she gave to her friend, but it was enough; the other girl nodded her head in understanding.

“Right, well,” He started after attendance was taken, “I assume we’ve all started reading The Catcher in the Rye. We’ll discuss it in a moment, but does anyone have any questions before we begin?”

The room was quiet for a moment before a hand shot up, “Yes, Mr. Kunkel?”

“Yeah, I have a question,” Dean started, and Shaya rolled her eyes. This will be good. “Is this guy an idiot? I mean you have to be pretty stupid to fail all your classes and get kicked out of four schools. So why are we reading about a dumb guy?”

Colton resisted the urge to slam his head against the blackboard behind him. I should have seen this coming. Whoever said ‘there’s no such thing as a stupid question’ obviously never taught high school. He opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted.

“He’s not stupid, Dean, he’s troubled. “ Shaya began. “I mean he shows that he’s smart; he passed his English class because he learned and retained what was taught to him before. He just doesn’t care about school, about the people he has to be around.”

Colton stayed silent for a moment as he watched her with admiration. Yes, first impressions can be deceiving. She’s definitely more intelligent than I’d been taking her for. “Well, I’d say that’s an adequate answer. Does anyone else have any questions?” This time three hands went into the air, and Colton sighed. And we’re only on the first two chapters…

After one long and discussion filled class, Colton took a moment to relax in his chair as books were being put away. “No real homework, just start reading the next two chapters,” He announced, although he was sure no one cared enough to hear him. A shadow fell over him that he looked up to find Shaya standing in front of him.

“See you after class?” She asked.

“Um, yeah,” He replied, and she gave a soft smile before leaving the room. Did she just invite herself to detention, and seem…excited about it? He shook the thought away and decided to turn his focus away from the one student and onto the next class.

****************

The rest of the day went by quickly for Shaya, and before she knew it she was standing in front of her English room once more. Her attitude, however, was different than yesterday. Now, her stomach turned with anticipation. His actions that morning told her he wasn’t exactly angry with her tardiness, and she was looking forward to the chance to get away from everyone, even if it was only for a half an hour.

“Mr. Rylander?”

Colton looked up at the sound of his name and nodded at her. “Come in.” She walked over and sat in the desk in front of him, and he continued, “Well, I suppose I can have you do the same as yesterday.”

“Well, umm,” She squirmed uncomfortably, “I don’t have any homework to do.”

That certainly presented a problem. Colton raked through his mind, trying to think of something for her to do. I could just let her go, but then she might start showing up late every day. An idea then popped into his mind, and he smiled at his brilliance.

“Here,” He said as he placed two monstrous piles of papers on her desk. “You can put these together for me. They’re for my freshman class, don’t worry,” He continued as her eyes widened at the stacks.

She gave a sigh of relief as she settled back in her desk and watched as a glimmer of a smile crossed over his face. I’m glad he finds me so amusing. She then began sorting through the papers, glad to have something to do.

Minutes passed as the two worked in silence, save the sound of crinkling paper. The quiet usually suited Colton, and it was in complete stillness that he worked the best. Now, however, as the two sat there, he felt the urge to speak. What do I even say to her? Hell, why do I even need to say anything to her? Casual conversation wasn’t something Colton enjoyed partaking in, but there was something about her that made him feel at ease.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you like being in detention.” He finally decided, although he dared not to look up from his work.

Shaya looked up, but his eyes were still glued to the homework papers in front of him. At least he’s making an attempt at being social. “Yeah, well, this time wasn’t my fault.”

This seemed to catch his attention as he glanced up at her, “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Not really. Yesterday I forgot to set an alarm, which was my mistake. But today my…my friend, Lucas, he’s taking me to school this week. He forgot to pick me up today. I would have been on time if it weren’t for him.

Lucas…Colton put the name to a face and tried not to grimace. That cocky little brat? He certainly wasn’t one of Colton’s favorite students. The way he strut into the room and regarded Colton like he was a speck of dirt set his blood on fire. I wish I could set that one straight.

Shaya could tell from the range of emotions that played out on his face that he wasn’t too fond of Lucas. It didn’t surprise her, though; he wasn’t a favorite with the rest of the teachers either. “Quite the ego on that one, huh?”

Colton was taken aback by her blatant and spot-on observation of the boy. She said they were friends, yet she knows how he acts. “You could say that,” He replied, not wanting to offend her. She doesn’t seem like the kind of girl who’d associate herself with his type.

“Well, we’ve been friends forever,” Shaya replied, once again answering Colton’s silent thoughts. “He’s definitely more...outspoken than I’m used to, but you learn to live with it I guess.”

He watched as she looked down at her desk in contemplation, and he got the idea that there was more to her story. What is this boy to her? The random thought took him by surprise, and he shook it away. Why do I even care?

“Well, miss Wilson-“

“Shaya,” She stopped him, and he looked at her curiously “I appreciate the formality, but you can call me by my first name. Miss Wilson makes me seem so…old.”

He chuckled, “How do you think I feel being called Mr. Rylander?”

She blushed as he reminded her once again just how young he was. “Well, I think I can speak for the whole class when I say we’d all appreciate it. The professionalism works for college, but we’re still kids. I think the most of us would rather be leveled with than treated

He laughed again, “I feel like you’re teaching me more than I you.”

She cocked her head to the side. “You’ve always called your students by their last name? They liked that?”

He shrugged. “I’ve never actually had students before. I was just a sub, so learning names wasn’t of importance. This is my first actual teaching gig.”

Wow. No wonder he seems so out-of-place up there. “Well, you can’t tell.”

Colton scoffed, “I appreciate the gesture, Shaya, but I know I’m not exactly a natural-born teacher.” He tried using her first name as she had asked, and it surprisingly wasn’t as awkward as he’d imagined.

Her stomach gave a little turn as he spoke her name. Why does that make me so happy? “So why did you become a teacher?” She asked, ignoring her feelings in a yearning to know more about him.

Colton’s otherwise cheerful face turned blank, and he looked away. “It’s a long story.” He replied in an empty tone.

Shaya was intrigued by his impassivity, but she could recognize a touchy subject when she saw one and decided to let the subject slide. “Well, I think these are done,” She said as she walked up and set the stacks on his desk. “Anything else?”

Colton looked back up at her, and his mood easily lightened with hers. “No, that’s all. Thank you.” He then gave a little smirk. “Should we schedule another detention now, or will you decide to be on time tomorrow?”

Shaya laughed, “No, I don’t think that’ll be necessary. I might just stay here tonight to make sure I’m on time.” Why am I joking with him like this? He’s my teacher, but it feels so…natural.

Colton shook his head, “I think you are the only student on earth who would even joke about spending more time at school than necessary.”

“Yeah, well,” She shrugged unsure of what else to reply. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Mr. Rylander,” She called out as she walked towards the door.

“See you tomorrow, Shaya.” The sound of her name made her stomach flutter once more, and she quickly left as she felt her cheeks turn red. Oh my god…I think I have a crush on my teacher.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wheww...Chapter three is done! I'm not sure how i feel about this chapter, but i figured i'd put it or there and let you fellow readers decide. I'd like to say thanks again for the tremendous ammount of support and encouragement i'm getting from everyone- it's really inspiring and makes me want to bring new chapters to everyone as soon as possible. the next one is already in progress, and in it we'll get to see a bit more of who Colton is and some more Shaya and Lucas encounters as well. Until then, questions, comments, and concerns are welcome as always, and I hope you're all enjoying your summer!