Status: New Chapter posted!! :)

Shaded Beauty

Chaper Seven

The next day, Shaya was trying desperately to keep her mind off of Lucas, but her attempts were met with failure. Her mom had dragged her to work that morning in case she was needed, but after four hours Shaya was still nestled at a table in the back. A book was propped open, although for the first time in forever she couldn’t concentrate on the words in front of her. Every ten minutes her mind would deviate towards thoughts of Lucas; what he was doing, what was going through his head, or, in her worst moments, images of him and Maggie would arise.

Why do I even care? She had asked herself that question multiple times, but an answer was never achieved. I don’t understand why I’m so jealous. It’s not like I have a claim on him. I mean sure, Lucas is attractive, everyone including me have always known that. But I don’t have feelings for him...do I? I’ve said I won’t date Lucas because he hasn’t shown an ounce of fidelity despite his confessions of love, but how can he be faithful to her? The constant questions were making her head hurt, and Shaya threw down her book after once again failing to comprehend what she had just read.

“You really need to cut this out.”

Shaya looked up as her sister Sam pulled out the char across from hers and sat down. “Cut what out?” She asked

“This whole mopey depressed thing you’ve got going on. Every time I look over here I want to burst into tears with all the gloom. Then I go over to Annie, who’s bursting with happiness like always, and we know how infectious her mood is. I’m having a huge emotional debate because I don’t know whether I want to laugh or cry and it’s driving me crazy.”

Shaya glared at her sister’s insensitivity, “I’m sorry I’m such an inconvenience.”

“I just don’t understand why you’re so moody. You and Lucas have fought before, so why is this time any different?”

“It just is.”

“Well, I’m personally a little relieved to have a break from that cocky little brat,” Another glare was received from the younger sister, “But I hope you figure things out. In the meantime, though, take your puppy eyes out of here. Mom says sorry, but we don’t need you.”

“Fine. Tell her I’m going to the park, and I’ll be back before she leaves.”

Sam gave her younger sister a pat on the shoulder, “That a girl,” She encouraged before heading back to work, leaving a disgruntled Shaya to walk out the door.

In truth, Shaya didn’t mind having an excuse to leave. There was a park a few blocks away from her mother’s café, and it was one of Shaya’s favorite places to go. Now that she was on her way, she realized that I t was a perfect setting to get her mind off Lucas. The crisp fall air gave her a new breath to relax into, and the combination of her book and the people around her would keep her distracted.

That wasn’t the case, however, and ten minutes after she had settled on her favorite bench under her favorite tree, her thoughts began to wander once more. This is ridiculous she huffed as she stared down at the open pages. Spending all my mental energy obsessing over it is not going to put me at ease; it’s just making everything worse. I just have to wait until tomorrow to get the truth.

Once her pep talk was over, Shaya found enough peace of mind to continue reading. Soon enough the sounds of birds, children, and cars became a murmur of background noise and the thought of Lucas retreated to her subconscious mind. Before she knew it, an uninterrupted hour had passed.

“Molly!”

The single word penetrated her concentration and Shaya’s ears perked up. I know that voice. As she looked away from her book though, only a few seconds were given to process her surroundings before a white ball of fur bumbled into her leg.

“Molly!” Colton called out once again as he watched his dog attack the innocent woman on the bench. I knew it was a bad day to let her off the leash. Still, if that stupid bird hadn’t antagonized her…

“I’m so sorry,” He apologized as he got closer. “She usually doesn’t-“ The woman on the bench looked up and Colton’s heart skipped a beat as his breath hitched.

Shaya sat immobilized as she stared at her English teacher in front of her. “Mr. Rlylander…hi.” Oh god. Seeing her teacher in a normal setting, in normal clothes kept her paralyzed. The dark-washed jeans and fitted t-shirt was an outfit she wasn’t used to seeing, and Shaya would have been lying if she denied how good he looked in them. It wasn’t until the dog barked again and tried to crawl up her leg that she was brought back to the present.

Colton was drawn out of his trance as well and moved to pick up the dog. “I’m so sorry about that,” He apologized once again, “She’s usually pretty calm and avoidant of strangers, but today seems to be a completely different story.”

“Oh, it’s not a problem. I love animals, but if I’m being honest I’m a little relieved she belonged to you and not some complete stranger. Molly’s her name?” Colton nodded affirmatively, and Shaya stood up to pet the dog as he mind traveled. All of our interactions at school have been fairly casual, so how am I supposed to act in this situation?

Colton was stuck at a crossroad. I know I should continue on and let her be, but just running onto her has added a little sunshine to my day. In the end, he chose to continue the conversation. “Reading in the park…it’s a great day for that.”

Shaya blushed, “yeah, well, my mom owns a bakery not too far from here. She brought me in in case she needed help, but once I realized my service wasn’t necessary I decided to escape for the afternoon.

“Do you come here a lot?”

“All the time.”

Colton chuckled and shook his head, amused. “To think we could have been passing each other for years and not known. I live across the street, so we,” he motioned to the Maltese in his arms, “come here quite a bit also.”

Shaya tried to remember if she had seen him before, but the truth was that she was ignorant to her surroundings. To think…I could have passed him a million times before. Would we be this agreeable if we hadn’t met in class?

The dog in Colton’s arms barked before attempting to wiggle free. As the animal tugged to move, he hesitated. “Walk with me?” Colton finally invited, unable to leave the girl alone.

“Sure,” Shaya give a slight nod before standing to his left, and soon their steps were in sync. It’s so strange to see him outside of class, but not abnormal. For once we’re allowed to talk about things that don’t have to do with school. Not to mention he’s a great distraction from Lucas…The thought of her friend once again brought up unpleasant feelings.

Colton glanced at the girl next to him and noticed her somber expression. It’s just like I saw her yesterday. She’s not her normal, cheery self. “Is something wrong?” He inquired.

“It’s just…” I want to tell him, but I’m afraid of crossing that boundary. Then again, we’re not in school, and it’s not the first time he’s asked. In the end, she gave in to her feelings. “My best friend, Lucas, and I have been at a bit of a standstill lately.”

The sound of the boy’s name flamed a spark of annoyance and dislike in Colton, although he didn’t let it show. “What do you mean?”

He’s a philandering jerk, that’s what I mean. Shaya decided not to empty the complete frustrations of her mind. “We’ve been friends for as long as I can remember, and we usually tell each other everything. Lately, though, he’s been distant and pulling away from not just me but everyone, and I don’t know why.”

It’s probably good riddance. Colton thought, smirking, although he kept his vocal opinion clean. “Have you tried talking to him?”

“Yeah, but he avoids any form of conversation.” Not to mention he’s supposedly dating a psychopath. “It’s just been bothering me.”

Colton was silent. I don’t know what to tell her; it’s not like I’m teeming with eternal friendships. Hell, Ashton’s the only person I’d really call a friend, and I can’t stand him half of the time. “I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Friends are supposed to disagree. If he keeps pulling away, maybe it’s meant to be.

“You have a point,” Shaya replied, but she wasn’t completely convinced. How does that fit in when my romantic feelings are in play?

Colton could tell she was still uneasy, and in an unnatural break of character he gently nudged her to the side. “Don’t worry, everything will figure itself out with time.”

Shaya looked up at him, and the smile he was giving filled her with butterflies. To hell with Lucas; my feelings are in a chaotic state either way.

Suddenly, Shaya felt her foot catch a wire, and she started to fall. Her other foot tried to step out and catch balance, but instead stuck itself in a hold, and Shaya cried out as her ankle twisted and her knee slammed into the sidewalk.

“Shaya!” Colton saw it happen a moment too late. The leash tugged across as the dog ran after a bird, and his arm reached out to catch her, but she was already on the ground. “Are you okay?” He asked as he quickly knelt on the ground in front of her.

“I think so,” Shaya replied, but it was a lie. Her ankle was throbbing and she knew there was a gash on her knee without seeing the blood seeping through her pants.

“Hold still,” Colton gently picked up her leg and watched as a moment of agony crossed over her face. “Can you move it?”

Shaya was able to rotate her foot in a slow circle, although it still hurt. “Yeah, I can move it, I should be fine.” She then made an attempt to get up, but as soon as her injured foot hit the ground, a stab of pain shot through and Shaya gasped as she tried to take off the weight.

Colton reached out once again to steady her as guilt from the situation slowly set in. “Come on, let’s go get you fixed up.”

“Oh, no, I’m fine, really,” Shaya blushed with embarrassment at the attention she was receiving, “I can just walk back to my mom’s-“

“Shaya, you can hardly walk, especially that far. I told you, I live across the street. Let me at least ice your ankle and bandage up your knee since this is my fault.”

Shaya stood in a stunned silence. He…is he asking me to go to his house? and I was worried about crossing boundaries just by talking with him. That didn’t, however, stop the butterflies that filled her or dissuade the trust that she put in him. “Okay.”

Colton watched her attempt to hobble forward before he reached over and put an arm around her, “Here, I’ll help you,” he said, although it was spoken with shaky words.

If I couldn’t walk before, I sure as hell can’t now. Shaya could feel her entire face burning as she felt her body come flush with his and his hand held on to her side as hers wrapped around his neck. I feel like this should feel wrong…but it doesn’t. Oh god what am I doing? Even still, she was amazed at how much the close contact affected her.

Colton was experiencing the same process of emotions as they began to talk forward. I know I haven’t been near a woman since Rheanna, but she’s still my student, still a girl. He kept his attention straight ahead in an attempt to avoid showing what was going through his head.

“I’m sorry I’m such a klutz,” Shaya finally spoke in an attempt to lighten her situation.

Colton softly laughed but continued to avoid catching her gaze. “I told you, this is my fault. You’re no more a klutz than my dog is tame, apparently.”

Shaya could hear the edginess in his voice. He says he’s not mad, but then why did his entire demeanor change in a matter of minutes? He’s probably embarrassed about the fact that he has to take care of me. God, I’m such an idiot for reacting the way I did earlier.

“We’re here,”

Shaya looked up at the tall building in front of them and silently laughed at the irony. I’ve passed by here hundreds of times.

“Don’t worry,” Colton continued as he finally looked and gave her a smile, “I live on the first floor,” She gave a nod of acknowledgement before they entered the building.

“Here we are,” Colton announced as they approached the door. As he let go of Shaya, a breath of relief escaped.

Shaya did the same, although her heart didn’t slow down. This is it. I’m actually going into Mr. Rylander’s house. I can’t even begin to imagine what it looks like inside. Dear god, why am I so nervous?

I can’t believe I’m doing this. Colton hands were slightly shaking as he fidgeted with his keys. I don’t think anyone’s been in here except Ashton in the past three years. Why did I think this was a good idea?

“Come on,” Colton said as he opened the door and led her inside. “Take a seat and prop your leg up here, and I’ll grab some ice and the first aid kit.” He continued as he rested Shaya on the couch and placed her swollen ankle on the coffee table before heading to the freezer.

The first thing Shaya noticed as she took a moment to glance around was how immaculately clean the apartment was. Everything seemed to be put in its perfect position and there wasn’t a dirty dish or strewn article of clothing anywhere to be found. I don’t know why, but I half expected it to be a dump in here. Then again, the only examples I have are sitcoms and Lucas and Dean’s bedrooms. Just because they live like pigs doesn’t mean every guy does. Although this could mean he could have a girlfriend cleaning for him, but there’s nothing girly in here.

Colton watched her as she assessed his apartment and chuckled , “Yeah, I’m a bit of a neat freak, not to mention Saturdays are my domestic days,” He told her as he placed the ice pack on her ankle. “Hold this there; I have to grab the kit.” He then left the room and entered the bathroom.

Once he was alone, Colton took a moment to let out a deep breath and collect himself. I don’t know why I’m freaking out. She’s an innocent, intelligent girl in a completely innocent situation. But it’s not her I’m worried about…it’s me.

After he disappeared from her sight, Shaya got a better opportunity to observe her surroundings. In front of her across the coffee table was a simple entertainment system with a tv and movies lined up on the bottom. On either side sat two skinny bookshelves, each filled with novels of varying shades and sizes. That makes sense, considering he’s an English teacher. She wanted to get up and inspect the titles more closely, but knew that her ankle would keep her from doing so. Shaya turned to her left and noticed an island separating the kitchen from the rest of the apartment, and behind that sat a dining table with chairs. This place is really nice.

“Alright, let’s get you all bandaged up,” Colton announced as he returned and knelt down next to her. Shaya quickly rolled her jean leg up before he applied an antibacterial ointment, causing her to wince.

“Sorry,” He muttered.

“No need to be,” She replied then continued after a few moments of silence, “thank you again, Mr. Rylander-“

“Colton,” He interjected as he looked up and smiled at her, “You’re sitting on my couch on a Saturday afternoon; I think first names are allowed. Besides, it makes me feel so…old.”

“Oh really?” Shaya playfully raised an eyebrow “where have I heard that before?”

“Quit you,” Colton scolded, but a smile was still displayed across his face.

“You’re apartment’s really nice,” She continued, “although, to be honest, it’s not really what I was expecting.”

He looked up at her, “It’s pretty ordinary. What were you expecting, a hovel? “

“No, of course not. I mean, I guess I really didn’t have an impression. It’s hard to imagine a teacher’s life outside of school, considering you don’t really know them. Then again, I feel like I know more about you than any of my other teachers.”

He smiled, “Probably more than you care to know.”

“Not true,” She replied, causing him to look up at her once more. “It’s nice to have someone who’s not a friend or family that you can talk to, look to for advice, feel comfortable around.” Although I feel like I might be too comfortable here.

Colton didn’t immediately respond. She’s right, it does feel good to finally let someone else in. I just never expected it to be someone so young… “I can understand that, although, to be honest, I’m surprised it’s me. I’m not exactly the most inviting guy around.”

It was Shaya’s turn to sit in silence. I can’t exactly tell him that there’s something about him that allures me and draws me to get closer to him. God, if he ever knew what was really going through my mind I’d be thrown out of here faster than a cockroach. ”I think it was our bonding over first detentions.

Colton laughed but didn’t continue the subject as he finally placed the bandage on her knee. “You should be all stitched up.”

Shaya observed her bandaged knee, “Are you sure you’re a teacher and not a doctor?”

Colton laughed, “I’m positive. Scabbed knees I can handle, broken bones…not so much.”

Shaya was about to respond when her stomach grumbled loudly, causing her to blush with embarrassment. “Sorry.”

“Hungry?” Colton asked, although he didn’t wait for an answer, “I can fix some lunch, although I don’t have much except for cold cuts and cereal.”

It took everything in Shaya to not bury her face in hands and disappear from the earth. First getting detention, falling and injuring myself, now making him feed me...He probably thinks I’m this terribly stupid nuisance. “Really, you don’t have to do that. I don’t want to be trouble-“

“Shaya,” Colton was already on his way to the kitchen, “You are one of the least troublesome people I have ever met. This is something I want to do. Now, do you prefer turkey or ham?”

Defeated and bashful, Shaya looked away as she meekly replied, “Either is fine.”

As he prepared their meals, Colton was quiet except for the occasional inquiry for the girl’s sandwich preferences. Troublesome…how can she be so cheerful, yet not notice how pleasant to be around she is? Is she really that indifferent to her own positive qualities?

Left to herself once again, Shaya scanned her surroundings once more before her gaze caught onto a photograph on the coffee table she hadn’t noticed before. In the photo stood three people donned in graduations gowns and showing of brilliant smiles. She immediately recognized Colton in the middle, and although he did appear younger, he looked virtually the same as the man standing a few feet away from her. On his left stood a pretty girl with ash blonde hair, and the jealousy immediately flamed up. Is this his girlfriend? It has to be someone important, or he wouldn’t have this picture displayed in the open.

Shaya shook the thoughts away before they could get worse and turned her attention to the other boy in the photo. His blonde hair was short and his grin seemed to be filled with more mischief than the other two. For unknown reasons, Shaya felt as though she had seen him somewhere, although she couldn’t pinpoint where. She scanned the photo for further clues when something else caught her attention. “You went to Plumbridge?”

“Yeah, I did,” Colton replied as he sat down, plates in hand. “Not many people have heard of it.”

“It’s where I’m going next year. Well, hope to go. I technically haven’t gotten accepted yet.”

“I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You’re a smart girl, they’d be stupid to not let you in.” Besides, if that idiot Weis can be accepted and not her, I have no faith for the future of our world.

“Doesn’t make it any less nerve-racking,” She replied as they ate, although his words had made her feel better.

“I know,” Colton shook his head as he chuckled, “Jeeze, it wasn’t so long ago that I was in your shoes.”

“What, fifteen years?” Shaya chided playfully.

“Hey now,” He replied in mock astonishment, “just because I’m in English teacher doesn’t mean I have to be old and boring. But if I could still look like this when I’m 33, I’ll take it.”

Shaya continued to laugh as she finished her sandwich. This is why it’s so easy to be around him. It’s almost like we’re friends.

“Done?” Colton asked as he motioned to the empty plate in front of her. Shaya nodded, and he picked it up before heading into the kitchen.

As soon as Colton stood up, the dog that had been quietly resting on the floor immediately jumped into the now empty seat and placed its head on Shaya’s leg.

Colton watched the exchange and chuckled, “It seems she’s taking a liking to you. That’s unusual; she’s usually doesn’t like strangers.”

“Well she did trip me.” Shaya replied as she pet the animal on her side, “Although I have to admit, I would have expected you to have a dog that's..."

"More manly?" Colton smiled at her before turning around. "That's because she wasn't exactly mine," the corners of his lips turned up in a sad smile, "She was my girlfriend, Rheanna’s."

"oh," Shaya looked down in a sort of embarrassment. *he said was...does that mean they broke up? "So why do you have her?"

Colton froze for a moment, although his hesitation went unnoticed. "She...she passed away,"

Shaya couldn't see his face, but his words we're laced with sorrow that shot straight to her heart. "I'm so sorry," she instinctively replied.

"Thank you, but it's alright," he lied as he walked back towards her, "It happened a few years ago."

"Can I ask what happened?"

Colton shifted uncomfortably as he sat down. I haven't talked about this with anyone...can I talk to her? It was a car accident," he started, shocked with how easy the words were forming, "I was driving us back from a concert we had been to. I let...she took her seatbelt off to grab something in the back, and while I looked away a car had swerved into our lane. The car behind us didn't see and rear ended us. She didn't make it to the hospital." I haven't spoken about it to anyone in years, but that felt so natural...

Shaya sat in a somber silence as she took in what he had just told her. No wonder he looks so serious and harsh all the time. I don't know anyone that could come from something like that and still keep a smile on their face, not to mention the self-hate and blame he must be feeling. Shaya instinctively placed a comforting hand on his arm, "I'm sorry, I can't even imagine."

Woah Her touch sent tiny streams of electricity coursing through his body and instinctively stood up. I definitely should not be reacting like this. “Thank you, really,” He replied, his face turned away, “But like I said, it happened a few years ago.

Shaya noticed his sudden withdrawal, although she attributed it to his real feelings on the subject. sure, he says he's fine, but I can tell that it still affects him. In a split second he turned from the man I was just talking with to the cold, harsh teacher I met first day. still, he actually told me, and that's got to mean more than anything. She looked at the picture once more, this time focusing on the woman she now knew was Rheanna. He's probably still in love with her. I'd probably be just as messed up as he is.

For the first time since she had entered the apartment Shaya looked at the clock and nearly gasped. I had no idea it was this late already! “I should probably be getting back,” She voiced her thoughts in an attempt to lessen the tension that had followed their previous conversation. “I think I’ll be able to walk home, thanks to you.”

Colton smiled nervously, “I’d be more than happy to give you a ride home, but…well, my mode of transportation isn’t exactly conventional.”

Shaya turned and gave him a curious glance. “What do you mean?” He didn’t respond as he swiftly got up and entered the bedroom. Thankfully, She was only left with her questioning thoughts for a moment before he returned, two helmets rested under each of his arms.

“You…you ride a motorcycle?” Shaya managed to mutter out. My attractive, enchanting English teacher drives a motorcycle. This is seriously too much. Oh god, if Kat ever found out.

“Like I said, it’s a bit unconventional, but I promise it’s safe, I’m careful,” He then stepped forward and looked her in the eyes, “And trust me, Shaya, I would never do anything to put you in harm’s way,” he continued, the words filled with more truth and emotion than he had intended.

Shaya bit her lip in contemplation. I don’t know…I mean, I’ve never ridden on a motorcycle, but is this really an opportunity I can pass up? Besides, I believe him when he says he’d never put me in harm’s way. She looked up and smiled at him, “I trust you.”

“Alright then,” Colton walked over as she stood up and handed her the jacket in his hands and a helmet, “Better put this on, it can get pretty chilly with the wind, especially at this time of the year.”

“What about you?”

“I’m used to it.”

Shaya slipped on the jacket and was immediately overcome with a mixture of laundry detergent and cologne. As she took another breath, the butterflies in her stomach began to flutter madly and she did everything in her power to not look at her teacher. “Thank you,” She barely muttered.

Colton didn’t say anything as he looked at the ground and led her out the door. I don’t want to take her home, but I know it’s for the benefit of my sanity and position that she leaves. I’m starting to scare myself. “This is it,” he announced as they approached the motorcycle outside.

“Wow.” Shaya couldn’t hide the astonishment as she admired the sleek black and grey bike in front of her. “This is yours?” I’ve seen this in the parking lot at school, but I never would have guessed it belonged to him!

“Sure is,” Colton replied, hiding his smile behind the helmet. “Put this on,” he handed her the other one, “and get on first.”

Shaya carefully straddled the bike as excitement and adrenaline ran through her. I can’t believe I’m about to do this.

“Your feet will go here,” He instructed before getting on in front of her. “Now listen. You’ll need to hold onto me tightly to make sure you don’t fall off. Don’t let go for any reason. Do you understand?”

I have to hold onto him? Suddenly, Shaya was rethinking this entire idea. “Um…I think so.”

Colton brought the bike to life before turning back to her. “Grab on,” He shouted back to her. As her hands reached around his waist and hugged firmly, Colton felt his stomach knot as her body flushed warmly against his, and he was thankful she couldn’t see his face. Why didn’t I think this through? We should have taken the bus. Let’s hope this ride goes by fast.

As they rode through town, Shaya was glad that the fleeting sights, roaring engine, and her pounding heart were enough to keep her thoughts momentarily at bay. The only thing she could focus on was her tight grip around her teacher and the muscles that lied underneath them. The tension that lied between the two left her body rigid and kept both her heart and her breath stuck in her throat. A million thoughts and emotions were attempting to break into her conscious, but Shaya shrugged them off; for now, she was just going to enjoy the ride.

“Here,” shouted out once Colton rounded the corner and approached her house. Good, mom and Sam aren’t home yet. I can’t even imagine explaining this to them. Once the bike was pulled to a stop, Shaya nearly jumped out of her seat and rid her head of the helmet.

Colton let out an enormous breath of relief once her hands left his body, but stopped midway as he caught sight of her beaming grin and tousled hair. I am in so much trouble.

“Um…” Shaya muttered as she held the helmet in her hands and realized he wouldn’t have any hands to hold it with.

“I can take it,” Colton held out his hand, then placed the headpiece in front of him. “All set?”

Shaya nodded. “Thank you again, Colton,” She replied as she waved good bye before running into her house, the sound of her footsteps matching the beating of her heart.

She called me by my first name. Colton sat in astonishment for a few moments as he watched the girl walk away and was only drawn out with the echo of a door closing. God bless my broken, deranged soul if I can walk away from this. He then brought the bike to life once more and drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
A very, VERY delayed chapter finally up! I'm so, sooo sorry for taking longer than promised to post this up, but the end of the semester totally kick my butt a thousand times over. But it is the longest chapter yet, so I hope it was worth the wait for everyone!

On another note, i've decided that not only to keep all of you readers in check but also to keep me motivated, i'm going to start having scheduled updates. So, every other wendnesday a new chapter should be up unless something goes wrong (which i really, REALLY hope won't happen as much as it has before). So, for instance, the next chapter should be complete and posted on the 2nd.

Lastly, I know that i have been terrible at neglecting all of you who have read and commented on this story, because it truely means the world to me. So thank you a hundred times over for the support you've given, and I'm glad i could bring something you could enjoy.

With that being said, I hope you all have Happy Holidays!