Status: New Chapter posted!! :)

Shaded Beauty

Chapter Nine

The next day at school, Shaya arrived early in order to prepare herself for the day ahead. Colton’s jacket was stuffed in the bottom of her backpack while she stalked the English room in an attempt to catch him before everyone else showed up. Now, as time passed and the hallways filled, her plan was slowly falling apart.

Her other reason for her dawn school stakeout was because she hoped to find her friends, particularly Kat, before Lucas found her. The other girl hadn’t called her back yesterday, and if Shaya knew Lucas, which she did, she’d never get time to talk to her friend. If he found her first, Lucas was never going to let her go.

“Shaya!”

Thank god. She turned around to see Katrina bumbling towards her.

“I’m sorry I didn’t call you back last night,” Katrina apologized, “I was on the phone with Kevin, then I took a shower and completely forgot about your text message, but by that point it was almost midnight and I didn’t want to wake you.”

Shaya internally laughed at the irony. The one night she was afraid of keeping me up when I was already awake half the night analyzing my decisions. That’s alright.”

“So what’s up?”

“I talked to Lucas yesterday.”

“Katrina’s eyes sparkled with excitement, “Really? What did he say? What happened?”

“Well,” Shaya laughed nervously. Where do I even begin?

“Good morning, beautiful.”

Shaya felt two arms wrap around her as Lucas hugged her from behind and knew that her question had been answered. She turned around to greet him, but as soon as her mouth opened to speak he grabbed her and pressed his lips on hers, stealing her breath once more.

As he pulled away, Lucas grinned. “I’ve been looking forward to that all morning.”

“Alright,” Shaya’s focus was drawn away from Lucas as Kat grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side. “We need to go now.”

“Excuse me,” Lucas scoffed as he stood, aghast, “We were just-“

“I know what you were doing, and it can wait. You’ll have her back next period, but for right now we need to talk.” Katrina then pulled her friend towards the English room, leaving Shaya a moment to exchange questioning glances with Lucas.

As they entered the classroom, Shaya immediately noticed that Colton was seated at his front desk. When did he get here? He looked up at their arrival, and as his gaze met hers he smiled warmly, which she returned. It’s good to see he’s not going to change around me.

Colton watched as Shaya smiled in greeting before being dragged to the back of the classroom by her friend. He tried to appear nonchalant as he read over his lesson plans, but every now and then he would look up to watch the girls in the corner. Shaya was blushing as she spoke, and Katrina was nearly jumping out of her seat in excitement. At one point she squealed, causing everyone in the room including him to turn their attention to the two.

His curiosity rose as he observed their exchange. I wonder what happened since the last time I saw her that would cause such a commotion. Suddenly, he wondered if it was their encounter Saturday that was causing the commotion. No, she doesn’t strike me as the type of person who would gossip and brag about it, and they haven’t looked this way once. But what does it matter if they are? It’s not like anything wrong happened. For reasons he’d rather not dwell on, he wasn’t convinced that was true.

“So you let him kiss you?” Katrina asked excitedly after Shaya had told her what happened Sunday evening. Shaya nodded as she felt her cheeks turn red. ”How was it?”

“Good, I guess,” Shaya replied, “I mean, I definitely wasn’t pulling away…”

“I can’t believe this,” Katrina squealed. “How long have you felt that way?”

“Not long,” Shaya looked down, “I really still don’t know how I feel, I just know there was jealousy, anger, sadness…I figured it’d be better to give it a chance, right? I mean, it’s not like Lucas is a complete stranger. We’ve already been in a relationshipesque situation for years.”

“What happened to not giving him a chance unless he could prove that he can change?”

She shrugged her shoulders. I guess I just realized that I couldn’t afford to wait around forever.”

Katrina admired her friend proudly, “Look at you, Shaya Wilson, taking a leap of faith.” Suddenly, her expression sobered, “I know I’m not exactly the best source of wisdom, but I don’t have to tell you to be careful, right, Shaya?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean we all know how Lucas is; he knows what he wants and won’t be shy about it. I just don’t want the two of you to completely fall apart because he’s ready for something you’re not.”

Shaya smiled meekly at her friend, “Kat, I appreciate the concern, but trust me. One of the good things about knowing Lucas for so long is that I’m not afraid to stand up to him.”

Katrina beamed at her, relieved, “That a girl.”

Suddenly, Dean entered the classroom, and his gaze immediately focused on the two girls as he grinned broadly, “You,” He pointed his finger at Shaya before bounding in their direction and sitting on top of her desk. “Lucas just told me the news, and I would like to say congratulations. I’m so proud of you, really,”

Colton, whose attention had been grabbed the minute the boy walked in despite his raucous behavior, was now watching their interaction without shame. Congratulations? Has she won an award of some sort? She didn’t mention anything the other day. He was ready to prepare his concentration on listening in when the bell rang, causing the group to disperse and class to begin.

Once Mr. Rylander began taking, Shaya’s focus turned slowly from the topics being studied to her previous conversation with Katrina. She told me to be careful. I understand what she’s telling me, but I just don’t understand why. Sure, I decided to give Lucas a chance when he hasn’t really changed like I asked before, but maybe now I’m just looking at things differently. That doesn’t mean he has control over me. I’m still able to keep my composure and my morals.

As the period continued and class passed by, Colton couldn’t help but continuously avert his attention to Katrina and, more importantly, Shaya. Something still looks like it’s bothering her despite the congratulations I heard earlier. Is it me? Maybe she’s uncomfortable being here after Saturday. Colton didn’t have much time to dwell on the subject, however, because the day’s lesson was filled with discussion.

Soon enough the bell rang, and Shaya sighed as she realized that she’d have to face Katrina and Lucas once again. I just want to get this first day over with so things can slowly start to normalize.

“Shaya?”

She looked up at the sound of her name and saw that Colton was watching her. She quickly gathered her things together before heading to the front of the desk. “Yes?”

She doesn’t seem to be outwardly angry or avoidant of me now. He dug inside his bag for a moment before pulling out a book and extending it to her, “I believe this is yours.”

Shaya blushed as she recognized the novel as the one left at his house on Saturday. It had crossed her mind that it was left there, but with everything that happened with Lucas, it had been forgotten until now. “Thanks. I, um, have something of yours as well.”

Colton flashed a grin as he rose from his seat. “Yes, I realized that after I destroyed my apartment for ten minutes this morning.”

Shaya tried to imagine his place torn up, but it’s immaculate appearance the other day made it impossible. Oh god, I actually know what his apartment looks like. The thought made her face turn red. “Yeah, I’m sorry about that.”

“Don’t be,” He reassured, “you weren’t the only one who forgot. Can you drop it off at the end of the day?” It’s probably best for no one to see her with it; questions will be asked.

“Of couse. I’ll see you later then?”

He was about to reply when another student walked in, resulting in a simple nod of acknowledgement before Shaya left.

“Let me guess,” Katrina, who was waiting right outside the classroom, spoke as she met up with her friend. “There’s some big English conference this week and he needs your help?”

“No,” Shaya glared, although the idea brought a smile to her face. She held up the book, “I left this in his ap-classroom. He was returning it.” I can’t believe I almost told her the truth. I really have to be careful.

“You left a book behind?” Katrina placed a hand on her arm to stop her, “Who are you and what have you done with my friend, Shaya Wilson?”

“Nothing! I was a bit…preoccupied with thoughts when it happened.” Although she doesn’t need to know they involved how close to our teacher I was. “Let’s get to class before we’re late.” She continued quickly, dropping the subject.

The rest of the morning passed uneventfully for Shaya, but by lunch time the whispers and looks began as everyone learned that Lucas and her were an item. Not being a fan of the spotlight, Shaya squirmed uncomfortably at the attention and kept her head down, preferring that her personal affairs remained private. It didn’t help, of course, that he would hold her close and display his affection every chance he got. While she liked his show of commitment, a wish was made that he would loosen up on his showy and upfront personality.

I knew what Lucas was like before, but I still wasn’t ready for all of this attention. As she stood in the lunch line, everyone seemed to gawk and gossip as they passed. It doesn’t make it any easier that Lucas is milking it for all it’s worth, while I stand here in uncomfortable silence. Still, I’m sure it’ll blow over in no time.

“I still can’t believe it,” Dean announced as they settled at their table, “I mean, I knew the two of you would get together eventually-“

“You did not,” Kevin interrupted, “I believe your words were ‘she’s far too smart to ever go out with that arrogant imbecile’.”

“What does that mean?” Lucas got his face very close to Deans.

“Oh, we all know it’s the truth,” Dean turned to Shaya, “I mean, really Shay, what would possess you to agree to go out with this man? Did you lose a bet? Is he blackmailing you?”

Shaya laughed nervously, “No, of course not, it’s just…” How do I even explain this to them when I don’t know myself?

Lucas barged in as he nearly pulled her onto his lap, “It’s because her attraction and love for me has finally become unbearable.”

“Puke,” was all Dean replied.

“I can’t lie, though,” Kevin said, “There are a lot of angry, mourning girls now that he’s officially of the market. You’d better watch your back, Shaya.”

“That makes me feel so much better,” She mumbled.

“Hey,” Lucas grabbed her chin and brought her gaze to his, “No one is going to harm you without going through me, understand?” She nodded sheepishly and he brought his face to hers.

A napkin collided with the side of Lucas’s face, “get a room!”

“I, for one, am glad that the two of you are finally together,” Katrina interjected. “First, we don’t have to listen to Lucas desperately pine for her every day, and second, this means that Mr. Rylander doesn’t belong to you anymore, Shaya.”

Shaya nearly choked on the water she was drinking “Wh-what makes you think he’s mine?” There’s no way Kat could know about our interactions!

“I mean, you’ve got a boyfriend now, so he’ll have to choose someone, someone like me, to help him with all that school stuff he needs help with. Did you know that I’ve actually started doing my English homework just so I have an excuse to speak in class and impress him?”

Dean roared with laughter, “Right, like you could ever replace Shaya as teachers pet. I don’t know why you’re so hung up over him anyway. Sure he might be attractive, but he’s always so cold and pouty. He’s probably a really boring guy who sits at home and plays solitaire.”

Shaya opened her mouth to protest, but in the end decided not to say anything. If only I could change their perception of him. If they really knew what he was like…that he’s the way he is because of the tragedy he’s been through, that in reality he’s a lot nicer, a lot cooler, that he rides a motorcycle, their perceptions would change in an instant.

“He’s better than Mrs. Greely, though,” Kevin replied, drawing Shaya out of her trance.

“I don’t know if I’d say that,” Lucas snorted.

“I’ll be back,” Shaya got up from the table to put her tray away, unable to listen to their bashing of her favorite teacher. I don’t know why I get so upset when they talk about him, it’s not like he was ever going to be anything to me other than a teacher. But still, I’d consider him my friend.

Suddenly, an elbow thrust roughly into the side of Shaya’s arm, causing her to stumble backwards and drop her try on the ground. After gaining her composure, Shaya looked up to see Maggie Allman standing next to her, a malicious snarl on her face.

“Bitch,” was all she said before giving Shaya one last glare and walking away.

“Is everything okay?” Lucas asked, noticing her shaken demeanor as she returned to the table

“Yeah, everything’s fine,” She replied as she snuggled up to him. There’s no use making a big deal about it; he said he would protect me. “Come on, let’s get to physics.”

The rest of the day passed by quickly, and before she knew it Shaya was gathering her things to take home. Lucas was leaning against her locker, watching.

“Do you really need all of these books for today?” He asked in fascination. “It’s Monday, Shay.”

“I want to get as caught up as I can,” She replied. “You’re going to be late for practice.” I’ve been taking my time so no one knows I have to see Mr. Rylander, but Lucas won’t leave me be.

“So?”

“So?” Shaya stared at him incredulously. “Lucas you already missed this weekend. If you even want to play this weekend you’d better get going, now.”

Lucas wrinkled his nose at her, “God, you’re like my mother,” then his face softened as he smiled and leaned closer. “But I love you.” He then brought her in for a lengthy kiss before saying his goodbyes and walking down the hall.

As soon as she knew she was alone, Shaya dug to the bottom of her backpack and pulled out the borrowed item. The sight and smell of Colton’s jacket brought a smile to her face as memories from the Saturday before filled her mind. I know it’s crazy…but I almost wish I could keep this as an excuse to keep interacting with him. It’s not like I’ll run into him again. After today, it’ll be all English and homework talk. Maybe this is a good thing after all.

“Mr. Rylander?” Shaya asked as she knocked softly on the door.

Colton looked up from his papers and instantly smiled at the sight of the girl. “Come in. I’m just finishing some papers before I head out.”

Shaya walked over and handed him the jacket that she had hidden underneath hers. “I believe this belongs to you.”

“Ahh,” Colton sighed with relief at the sight of it. “Thank you so much. I’ve learned the hard way that going too long without this thing is a great way to catch a cold.”

“Oh no,” Shaya’s eyes widened, “you’re not feeling sick now, are you?” I would be mortified if he got ill because of me. How would I ever make it up to him?

“I think I’ll be fine,” Colton reassured her and watched as she instantly relaxed. “So, um…how was the rest of your weekend?”

“It was…” Shaya was taken back to Lucas’s bedroom Sunday afternoon. “It was good.”

Colton paused for a moment before his curiosity got the best of him. “There appeared to be a crowd around you this morning.”

He noticed that? For some reason, he was the only one that she really cared to keep it secret from. “Yeah, well, I talked to Lucas, and we’re sort of dating now, I guess…”

“Oh,” Colton felt a pang of agony hit his chest like a rock. I don’t know why it bothers me so much. That kid just makes my blood boil, and her…I don’t even know how to describe how I feel about her, but it’s definitely more than a normal student.

Shaya watched a flicker of melancholy cross over his face and she immediately regretted telling him anything. “I guess this is time’s way of working everything out.”

Colton looked back at her and tried to put a smile on his face, “Well if it’s what you want, then I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks, I guess,” She replied. Why don’t my words feel honest, and I get the feeling his aren’t either.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and both of them turned to see a freshman standing in the doorway with papers in his hand.

“Come in,” Colton waved the boy in before turning to Shaya, “Well thank you again.”

“Of course, Shaya replied awkwardly. We were just talking, but it almost feels like we’ve been caught doing something wrong. “I’ll see you tomorrow morning in class.” She then nodded before walking into the hallway.

Thursday evening, Shaya and Lucas were spread out in her bedroom, open books cluttering the bed. It was the first time the two of them had spent time together alone since they were officially dating, but everything went along as usual. They had two tests the next day, and Shaya had immediately been thrown into teacher mode as Lucas begged for her help.

“Alright, I know Physics isn’t my forte, but I’m really not getting any of this,” Lucas exclaimed as he frustratingly buried his head in his hands.

Shaya looked up from her own notebook and leaned over. “What are you having trouble with?”

He snorted, “Pretty much ALL of chapter nine.”

“That would be because you skipped class on the days we covered it.”

Shaya was amazed as Lucas displayed a rare frown of shame, “I guess seeing Maggie has hurt me in more ways than one, huh?”

She didn’t respond as she looked back at her own work. I hate it when he brings her up. Not only is it bringing up terrible memories of jealousy, but it reminds me of how much she’s been harassing me. Ever since Lucas announced that he and Shaya were dating Monday morning, the other girl had done nothing but insult and torment Shaya any chance she got. I knew she got attached easily, but I never expected to go through this torture. I just have to let it go and eventually she’ll drop it.

“Although she did give me you…” Lucas suddenly closed his book and leaned closer, “What do you say we take a break from all this studying?”

Shaya placed a hand on his chest and pushed him back. If I let him get even an inch closer, I have a feeling we won’t get anything accomplished. “No breaks until you at least get physics down. You know you have to do well on this test, Lucas.”

He groaned, “I know I do, but I haven’t spent any time with you, and Physics is just dull compared to other things.”

“Here,” She handed him her notebook and quickly changed the subject, “Let’s go over my notes to get this chapter down, then maybe we can take a break.”

“Alright,” The idea of downtime seemed to give Lucas motivation, and he quickly set his focus on the task at hand.

An hour and one material-filled chapter later, Lucas threw down his pen enthusiastically, “I think I got it,” he announced after completing the final formula.

“Good, “ Shaya replied, ignoring his antics, “Now we can start English.”

Lucas groaned exaggeratingly as he collapsed down on her bed. “But we just crammed my head with physics, Shay!”

“I know, but it’s already late, and we have this test first.”

He made no move to comply. “I seriously think all these teachers are ganging up to cram us right before the biggest football game of the year.”

Shaya rolled her eyes, “football doesn’t mean the world to everyone, Lucas.”

“I know,” he tilted his head back so he could watch her. “You smarties like your tests and your books. Saturday, though, you’ll be focused on football as my number one fan, right?”

Shaya bit her lip as she looked down at her books and remained silent. I haven’t had the courage to tell him I’m not going to his game on Saturday. I know he’ll understand eventually, but I still said I’d go as his girlfriend…

“Right?” Lucas finally flipped over. “Come on, Shaya!”

“I’m sorry, Lucas.” She cracked under his intense stare, “But my mom needs my help working, and Kat can’t go either so I don’t even have a ride.”

Lucas grumbled again as he once again collapsed, this time on her lap. “Day ruined.”

“I know Lucas, and I am sorry. I’ll make it up to you.”

A moment passed before Lucas looked up once more, and the playful and fiery look on his face made Shaya lean back. “I know how you can make it up to me…”

“Lucas,” Shaya attempted to sound authoritative as he flipped over once more, this time towering over her, but her voice waivered.

“You also said we could take a break after physics.”

“Maybe,” her words seemed to be barely audible. “I said maybe,” Still, her heart was thundering in her ears and her skin grew warm under his despite the layers of clothes.

“Shaya,” Was all he replied before he leaned down and kissed her.

At first Shaya sat rigidly against her headboard, but after a few moments she couldn’t help but give in to him. Her mind thought back to Katrina’s words earlier that week. She told me to be careful and I told her I could handle myself. I thought it true at the time, but for some reason it’s like I lose all my senses and reasoning around him, and I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad.

Shaya was interrupted from her thoughts as she felt a cold hand slide underneath her shirt, and she gasped. Her hands instinctively met his chest to push him away, and Lucas paused as they broke apart.

“Shaya,” He whispered against her, “It’s okay. We’re not crossing and major boundaries, Shay. Just…relax.”

She was still rigid for a moment. He’s right, this is harmless. But how will I know when he has crossed the boundaries? Still, she let herself relax against him once more.

“Shaya, have you seen my-“ Shaya listened as her sister barged through the door, but it was too late. Lucas’s lips and hands couldn’t leave her fast enough, and the three of them were stuck in an awkward silence.

Lucas was the first one to speak as he grinned at the older sibling, “Hi, Sam.”

Sam stood blinking in silence, and Shaya felt her face flush hotter before she found her voice. “Don’t you know how to knock?”

That finally seemed to bring Sam back to reality, and she crossed her arms and responded, “Don’t you know how to lock the door before you…” her sentence trailed off.

Lucas spoke without missing a beat, “Hey, when the moment arises, nobody’s thinking about that.”

Shaya turned, caught between glaring at him and gaping in astonishment. How can he be so calm and nonchalant right now? I’m trying not to die over here.

Her sister, however, wasn’t afraid to shoot Lucas an icy stare. “I’m just going to block the memory of you doing anything with my sister out of my memory. Shay, have you seen my other pair of black pants?”

“Um…” She still couldn’t look her sister in the eyes as she tried to shift back to reality. “I think they’re in the hamper downstairs.”

“Thanks.” She then observed the two one more time before shaking her head and leaving, closing the door behind her.

“Seriously,” Lucas turned and grinned at her. “think of how much easier our lives would be if either of us was an only child.”

Shaya lightly punched him in the arm. “I can’t believe you were so straight with her! I’m practically mortified!”

“Shay, I’m not afraid of Sam. She’s an adult; she knows us and knows what goes on between two people who are dating. No need to watch steps around her.”

“I know but…” Still, it’s weird my sister barging in like that. I don’t even want to think about her dating life, and she’s the older one. “It’d be humiliating if anyone walked in.” I don’t want to imagine what would have happened if we’d gone any farther…

“Well, now that we know she won’t be coming back,” Lucas didn’t miss a beat as he leaned in and pulled her forward.

“Ow!” Shaya flinched as Lucas grabbed her side and pain overwhelmed her.

Lucas instinctively drew back as his eyes grew wide. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t…” Shaya lifted up her shirt to show off a bruise that had begun forming.

“What did you do?”

“I-I….tripped,” She replied as she avoided his eyes. It’s only a half lie. In truth, Shaya had a run-in with Maggie earlier that day, and the other girl shoved her to the side in distain.
However, she lost balance as she tumbled backwards, and as she found balance against the lockers, the lock stabbed her on the side.

“You’re lying.” Shaya looked up to see Lucas still watching her intently. “I know you, Shay, and you’re avoiding me and the subject. Now what really happened?”

“It’s really not a big deal. I ran into Maggie in the hallway-“

“Are you serious?” She watched as the rage played out on his face and he threw his fist into the mattress. “God damnit.”

“Lucas, I told you it isn’t a big deal-“

“Like hell it isn’t!” He then looked back at her, and as his eyes met hers his body seemed to relax before he looked away. “this is just all my fault.”

“hey,” Shaya leaned over and placed a comforting hand on his knee. “Nobody could have known how this would turn out. Just ignore her, ignore her antics and it’ll all blow over eventually.” I know he didn’t mean to have this happen. I just have to reassure him that everything will be alright in the end. “Now, let’s get back to this study guide. I want you out of me bedroom by midnight.”

“You say that now,” he replied with a cunning grin. Still, he made no complaints as he opened his notebook and went back to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
A new chapter is complete!! Well that took forever but it's finally up! Hopefully from now on things will be going pretty smoothly as my schedule gets easier. Not to mention i'm really, REALLY excited for these next few chapters that are coming up, so you should be as well. Looking for a new update in two weeks, as scheduled, although i'd love to have one up earlier. Until then, i hope you all enjoy this chapter, and, as always, questions, comments, concerns are always appreciated :)