Status: co-write

With Your Love

sixteen, eighty

I only got a glimpse of the girl Paul let in. All five boys were out of their seat, eager to welcome the second winner. I wasn’t exactly sure what I was supposed to do in that scenario, considering I was just another lucky girl. So I stayed on the couch, taking a moment to check my phone, three texts from my editor and one from my sister. The three from my editor were basically the same, all asking when the book was coming in and reminding me that it was due by eight tonight. I slipped my phone back in my bag and shifted a little on the couch, gaining a better view of the girl being welcomed into the room.

Niall was standing almost beside her while the others stood in front of her. I could manage a look through a space between Liam and Louis. (Have I mentioned how fit Liam is? It’s quite impressive really.) She looked younger than me, probably still in secondary school. I could tell by the way she stood and talked that she was nervously excited.

Zayn called her Abigail and Harry asked where she was from. She had a distinctly American accent as she spoke too. I wonder if the contest was world wide.

“I’m from around here…just moved a few years ago.” She answered quickly.

So maybe it wasn’t international.

“Well how about getting some breakfast in us all first?” Liam asked, turning toward me as well.

I nodded and almost grabbed my bag when Liam said I could leave it here. I contemplated taking my phone but decided against it, I didn’t want to seem rude. I also didn’t want them to think I was one of those fans that photographs their every move.

“Oh, before we go,” Liam began as I walked over to them, “Abigail this is Emaleigh, Emaleigh…Abigail.”

“Pleasure.” I held my hand out to her.

“Nice to meet you.” She shook my hand back.

With introductions out of the way we followed the boys out of the hotel room. I kept myself close to Liam as we walked to the elevator, I’d have to think of a new nickname for him…calling him the ugly one was a far cry of the truth. So far up for consideration is the fit one because he is quite a fitty. We all crowded onto the elevator, which seemed surprisingly small for a fine hotel but I guess they spent all their money on the room furnishings.

Louis ended up next to me on the elevator, Liam just in front of me. Niall and Abigail were on the other side of Louis and I could just hear the murmur of his thick accent but I couldn’t tell what they were saying. Eavesdropping is probably something I should add to my list of daily activities. I consider myself quite good at it too. Harry kept trying to poke Zayn in the side, which he didn’t seem too appreciative of. Zayn kept shifting in the elevator, trying to move around. Finally he knocked into Niall and ended up wedging himself in behind the blond.

I bit my lip to keep from laughing. Harry sent me a smug smile and Liam turned back to look at us, he had obviously been trying to ignore the others. He smiled at me briefly before sending a warning look Harry’s way. I guess some of them were trying to be on their best behavior for us.

We padded down the stairs and headed for the restaurant that was attached to the Hotel. It was fairly empty, the time had creeped around to ten o’clock and everyone had most likely gone to work. I would be at work if I wasn’t here right now. Zayn and Louis led the way over to a round table farther from the windows, I sat next to Louis, Liam sitting on the other side of me. Unsurprisingly, Harry sat beside Louis (I guess the whole Larry Stylinson thing my sister attempted to explain is true. They really are best mates). Zayn sat next to Liam on the other side and Abigail sat next to him, Niall rounding out the circle.

The boys were asking Abigail the same questions they’d asked me earlier. She told them her nickname was Abby and that she had a sister named Megan. I didn’t catch if her sister was older or younger. I hated being the middle child and I wondered whether she was the oldest or youngest in her family. I would have to text Gillian back when I had a chance to get to my phone. I doubt she cares how my day is going, so long as she doesn’t run out of comedy series.

When the server finally came over to our table Liam ordered a full breakfast for us, requesting coffee, tea, and juice for the entire table. Harry and Niall looked thrilled at the mention of a full breakfast.

“It’s been ages since I’ve eaten,” Niall remarked, smiling at Abigail. His white braces made his teeth almost look like they were popping out of his mouth.

“You ate last night,” Zayn mentioned.

Liam, Abigail and I laughed. Harry was distracted as the server came out with a large tray of foods. Louis smiled and nudged me in the side as the food was placed in front of us. White pudding, black pudding, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, fadge, bubble and squeak, pancakes, toasted bread, and fried mushrooms. The server placed pots of coffee and hot water down along with a jug of juice. Abigail looked a little overwhelmed with the food being laid down.

“So how long have you lived in England?” I asked, taking some eggs as Louis passed the food around. I’d never met a kid who didn’t eagerly indulge in a full breakfast.

“Oh, well…two years.” She answered, taking bacon, eggs, and pancakes but passing on the baked beans and anything else that probably wasn’t eaten for breakfast in the states.

“Not up on the food yet?” Harry asked around a mouth full of fadge.

“Not quite,” She replied, shifting in her seat.

Niall quickly took over, pointing out the best tasting food. Harry cut in once telling her to try the beans on toasted bread and my own interjection that she should stay away from the black pudding while I put a little on my own plate. I had a few American friends because of my ex and they had nearly died the first time they tried black pudding. I focused my attention back on eating after that (and the occasional glance at Liam).

So far I was surprised how easy it was to get along with these five. I didn’t expect them to be snobs or anything along that line, I just didn’t expect to be so comfortable around them. I heard Louis say Tenkatt and I turned to see him staring at me.

“Do you have any other siblings? Aside from your sister?” Louis asked.

“I’ve got two older brothers, two older sisters, and two younger sisters,” I answered.

“That sounds crowded,” Liam laughed.

“My older sisters and one brother are my step-father’s kids. My youngest sister is actually my dad and step-mom’s daughter so I don’t live with her either. It sounds crowded but only my brother Ben and my sister Gillian lived with me,” Ben has moved out now that he’s twenty-six and living in London but Gillian still lives at home.

“Well that’s confusing, I’ve got a load of sisters but they’re all younger then me,” Louis answered.

“Do you have any nieces or nephews?” Liam asked.

“My sister Clare has a daughter named Mabel and a son named Wesley, my sister Devin has a son named Gabe. My brother Ben is gay but he has a boyfriend and they have a dog. My other brother’s girlfriend is pregnant but I don’t know if it’s a girl or a boy yet.” I tried to explain it clearly.

“That’s even more confusing,” Zayn cut in.

“I guess so,” I nodded. I wasn’t particularly fond of Devin or my brother Jake. Clare lived in Berwick-upon-Tweed and I went down nearly once a week to see Mabel and Wesley.

“So, how do you like Edinburgh?” Liam asked, leaning towards me a little.

“It’s really nice. It’s a bit less hectic then London, which I appreciate. Everything closes fairly early,” I answered.

Abigail looked over from her conversation with Niall and Harry, “You’re not from London?” She seemed surprised.

“No, I mean, I’m not really from Scotland. I did grow up in England but I moved a few years ago to Edinburgh. What part of England are you from?” I answered.

“Oh um…it’s still considered London, just suburban.” She seemed uncomfortable with the question but I let it go.

Harry asked if she worked as well as went to school and I heard her mention something about working at a library. I like people who read almost as much as I like cute boys who can sing so we’re off to a pretty good start. I chewed a bit of black pudding while I listened to them talking. Liam was participating in the conversation with Abigail now, all of them asking her about friends and summer plans and what she liked to do.

As the breakfast trays began to empty Louis asked what else we’d like to do for the day.

“Why don’t we get London passes?” I asked. London passes where cards that allowed people to go to different sites in London without having to pay each time. I loved London passes and I usually got them when I came down to the city with Clare and her kids.

Liam smiled, “that’s a brilliant idea.”

“What are London passes?” Abigail asked, looking over.

“Cards that let you visit sites in London…have you had a chance to visit any yet?” I asked. I had barely visited all the sites and I’d been to London plenty of times.

“Not yet.”

“Then it’s settled!” Harry announced.