Status: Thanks for reading! Please comment and let me know what you thought!

Let It Burn

Jared Leto had always known that he was different.

He knew that he saw the world differently than others. He thought differently. He spoke differently.

He was different, simple as that.

His head had always been buzzing with words and sounds and pictures.

And, he'd always struggled to try and relate all of those thoughts to others.

The others who

(who had taunted him and hated him and envied him and)

never really wanted to understand him.

It was always easier to brush him aside.

You understand. Jared certainly understood.

(yeah i understand you can't take care of me for the rest of your life can you)

He understood human nature better than most. Better than most thought he could.

Madness can be scary sometimes.

(get him away from me who is he get him away)

It's like a fire that sits dormant in the back of your mind. Until... it explodes. It roars and grows and spreads through your mind. It burns you and everyone you touch. The explosion suddenly keeps you tied to the ground. You're lost and angry and sad and no one wants to help you find your way.

You're stuck.

(sticky stuck like glue sticky rip tear smack)

Stuck in your mind, alone. Broken. Trying your very best to heal.

And, when the fire finally dies down, you're calm again.

And the cycle repeats. Your mind resets and you can live again until the next wildfire strikes.

Becuase sometimes a wildfire can be good for a forest.

(LET IT BURN LET IT BURN LET IT BURN)

But, of course, it means that you must distance yourself from the world. Because even though a wildfire can do plenty of good for the forest, it can do nothing good for the people who come near it. Get too close and get burned...

It's lonely.

Jared waited for his whole life to meet someone who could understand.

Someone who wanted to help. Who wouldn't see him as a burden.

He was lucky enough to have his big brother and a close family friend to look after him.

But... he needed more.

(sorry shannon i didn't mean it)

After 30-odd years... he needed a companion.

(it's so lonely stuck inside here all the time it's time to go out it's so pretty outside today don't you agree)

He needed love.

(where have you been all my life)

-*-

Disclaimer: I obviously do not own Jared Leto or 30 Seconds to Mars. But, I do own the plot and Carolynn. This story is pretty much AU, set when Jared's in his mid-thirties in New York.
Italics in parenthesis are a continuous train of thought, and grammar and spelling are basically wrong on purpose.
This story is an extreme take on the quote:
"There's is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Nietzsche
For this contest by Bale..
Word Count: 3259