Triplets

Gabriel

I had just gotten in from one of my last days of high school for the year when my mum called me into the sitting room. It was odd because she's never normally home and even if she was home, she never normally bothered me because she was always working. Not to mention that I was rarely ever home for long because Andy and I constantly escaped our houses to hang out with each other, although there were some times that I would hang a notice on my door telling my parents that I didn't want to be disturbed as I had him over, and they almost always never bothered me.

She was sat on the sofa and was the only one in the room which told me that it wasn't too serious otherwise my dad would be in the room as well. Apparently they both needed to be in the room when something serious was spoken to me about, almost as if one didn't trust the other to deliver whatever it was to me correctly. Not that there has been too many serious things needing to be discussed, but that's beside the point.

"What's up?" I asked as I hoovered in the doorway, leaning against the frame.

"I hear you took Julie Walters to a dance last month," she began casually, making me groan.

That was not a memory I really wanted to remember because she tried to kiss me and not to be mean to her, but I'm not into the girls around here. I prefer foreign girls who I don't have the hassle with having to see them everyday and deal with all their drama and problems whenever they see necessary to dump them on me. Plus, with foreign girls I always leave them so it's a perfect situation for me.

"That's not something I want to think about, Mum," I told her.

"Why? She's a nice girl."

I pulled a face. "She's a nice girl who is too forward, too assuming and too her."

"Gabe–"

"I'm serious! Have you met the bloody girl?" I exclaimed, bewildered. Why my mum decided to broach this topic with me, I'll never understand. I had never even expressed any liking to this girl and she just goes and assumes that I'm interested in her. She probably doesn't even realise that I wasn't the one who asked her to the dance – she asked me!

"What about her?" she asked, patting the place next to her, a gesture I knew that was her way of trying to get me over to her so that she could try and make me see her side of whatever it was we were talking about. Sometimes it ended up working but I knew for sure that it wouldn't work this time because of Julie.

Just to be on the safe side, I didn't sit next to her and I shook my head instead. "Never mind, you wouldn't understand."

"What wouldn't I understand? That you're rejecting the girl with no actual reason?" she questioned. I couldn't help but snort at her words. "Gabriel!"

"What!" I exclaimed. "I can't reject her if I never had her as a choice!"

She just shook her head at me and dismissed my last statement by rising from the sofa and leaving the room. I shook my head at her and let out a chuckle. I had never seen this side of my mum before, and even if I didn't enjoy the topic, I found it so entertaining. I'd never get something like this from my dad because he'd rather I did anything but find a girl and get her pregnant. Not like I ever would do that anytime soon because I just wasn't interested in any girl that I saw in Kansas.

I left the sitting room and went up to my room, grabbing the phone from the stand in the hallway. Once I was in my room, I closed the door and dialled Andy's number.

He picked up on the second ring. "Yo."

"So my mum thinks I'd be good with Julie," I told him, dumping my bag in the corner of the room before crashing on my mattress and reclining with my free arm behind my head.

"Your mum's nuts," he laughed.

"That doesn't excuse her favouritism for Julie. Julie, for christ's sake! That girl is a fucking psycho," I muttered.

"Why? Because she's stalking you?"

"Oh fuck you, Andy."

"You sound like a fucking girl, Gabe."

"Does my fist sound like a girl?" I threatened and he just laughed. I could almost imagine him just shaking his head down the otherside of the phone even though he knows that I'm serious and I would greet his face with my fist the next time we saw each other, which would be tomorrow anyway.

"Anyway," he drawled, "was that all you phoned me for?"

I was originally going to phone him to arrange what we were going to do on our last day of the year because we weren't going to go in to school but we were going to make it look like we were to our parents so that they couldn't do anything until the school year was over and there would be no real reason for them to do anything about us not turning up. The conversation with my mum had just spawned another reason to talk to him, not that I really needed one considering that we almost always got in contact with each other immediately after coming home from school. Just because I just spent the entire day with him doesn't mean I spoke to him about everything that I needed to speak to him about that day. Nine times out of ten we're in a lesson and we can't exactly speak, and then the other time he's just going on about his girl and her sister.

I propped myself up against the wall and kicked my shoes off. "You still up for calling in and pretending to be my mum?" I asked.

"You know, if she finds out I'm dead," he reminded me.

"Yeah, well I have to pretend to be your mum. And I know how crazy your mum gets. Don't forget, I was there when she waved that knife at your dad."

"Man, you said you weren't going to mention that again."
♠ ♠ ♠
Will check this over (again) in the morning!