Triplets

Louise

Rachel was sat with me at lunch when someone from the main office approached us in the canteen. "Louise, your father is here to see you" she said.

"My father?" I asked, confused. I'm not going to lie but I felt slightly nervous about the fact that he was here at the school because I hadn't seen him since before I ran off to my mother's house so I wasn't entirely happy that he was here of all places. But nevertheless, I had to leave Rachel and follow the office lady to the same room that I'd spoke with my father in back in January. That conversation didn't go too well so I didn't really expect this one to either.

He was sat at the table when we got there and even though I knew I had no choice, I was hesitant to go into the room, although when I did step into the room the door was shut behind me and I just stood where I was, arms crossed over my chest.

My father sighed. "Please sit down, Louise," he said, gesturing to the seat opposite him.

With reluctance, I slinked over to the seat and gingerly sat down, my arms staying folded across my chest. "I'm sitting," I told him.

He rubbed his temples and appeared to be debating about what to say next. I didn't look at him directly, instead just casually watching him through the corner of my eye as I picked at my nail. "This isn't ideal, what I'm about to tell you, but after recent events you need to know the truth," he finally got out, sparking not only my curiosity but also my suspicion.

"What recent events?"

"Of course, you don't know. During the summer, your step-mother and I got a divorce."

I was more than shocked at this piece of information because I had no idea that they were even close to something like that, although I never actually paid attention to them as a couple because I despised them both as people and didn't like to be in the same room as them. Not only was I shocked, I was also happy because I never liked when my father was with her, and some may call it jealousy, but it's not – I just didn't like her so therefore I wasn't going to welcome her into my family, hence why she's no "step-mother" of mine but instead just my father's wife.

"Okay," I drawled, prompting him to go further into the summer events.

"And it turns out only Charlie is my daughter."

"No way!" I exclaimed, "She lied to you? That's so rude.

My father sighed and rubbed his hand over his face, clearly not amused by me. "Louise," he warned.

For once, I decided to heed the warning and I sat back in my chair, watching him full on now as he seemed to grasp for words to say whatever it was he needed to say to me. I couldn't really imagine what he would find so difficult to say to me – we both seemed to have ease yelling at eachother, as well as being downright awful so his trouble baffled me.

"For a while, I've been discussing with your mother what we should do about telling you about this, and she always said that we didn't need to tell you. I don't agree with her and that was one of the things we disagreed about for a long time – even now, I suppose. And with how we were going, I didn't think I'd ever get to sit you down and explain everything to you like I'd wanted to do for a while but this revelation I received during the summer showed me that I needed to soon. Of course I knew you wouldn't listen to me while being at your mother's house, especially as any conversation we had seemed to end in an argument, and I assumed I wouldn't see you before school started up so I resolved to come here myself and talk to you somewhere that you can't walk away from me."

I could understand his matters regarding his wife and children making him see sense on a few things, but I still had no idea what could have possibly drove him to come all the way here and arrange a private meeting to discuss with me about. Especially not with how he said that my mother didn't want him to ever tell me but he did, but that was mostly because I favoured her over him as of current and I didn't believe her to be someone who wanted to keep me from knowing something that appeared to be important.

"Okay, so, what is it?" I asked. "It can't be that bad."

"Oh, Louise," he sighed. "I need you to know this so that you know the truth, even though if I never told you this you probably would have never known. But I believe you have the right to find out – if and when you want to – who your biological parents are."

It took me a moment to comprehend what my father was saying. My biological parents? Wasn't that my mother and father? Of course it was, they were my parents. Even if I didn't like my father most times, he was still my father by birth, and I knew that no matter how much I said I wished he wasn't.

Still, I was confused. "What are you getting at? " I asked tentatively.

"You were adopted as a baby. Your mother and I wanted to give a child a better life and you were the one our hearts chose.

I slammed my hands on the table. "No, you're wrong. You are my father. I don't care about your wife or you children but you are my father, by birth and by blood," I protested.

He can't be telling the truth. I didn't believe him, I couldn’t believe him. How could he not be my father? How could my mother not be my mother? It was absurd to even think about it.

A hand touched one of mine but I pulled away, reeling up to my feet while my father just looked at me. "Of course I'm your father, but we adopted you to love and care for, and even if we've never seen eye to eye over everything, I still love and care for you, Louise."

Tears started to form in my eyes and my lips trembled. "You're lying," I accused even though deep down I knew he was tell the truth.

"I'm not."

I shoved away from the table. "Then why did you tell me?" I shouted.

"I don't want to lie to you any more. I want my daughter back and I want to start with a clean slate, one that has no lies attached. Your mother and I will always be your parents but I want you to know that if you ever want to find your birth mother, I will help you however I can," he said earnestly, and I couldn't help but run around the table and fly into his arms while I cried.

I didn't know how to process this information, after all I was only sixteen, but if I were honest I don't think I would have taken it any better if I were an adult. In fact, I might have taken it worse.