Triplets

Gabriel

It was really hard to do anything following my mum's admission that she had cancer because we had to get ready to move by the beginning of November, something which seemed a bit too close to my liking but I understood that she had to start her treatment as soon as possible.

Breaking the news to Andy was almost as hard as it was to take the news from my mum. We'd be separated constantly through my travelling but I'd always come back home. This time there would be no coming back, not until I was at least eighteen and knew my mum was free from cancer. And honestly, I didn't know how I was going to cope with the change because I would no longer be able to go find Andy during school and bitch about something. He may have been a prick but he was undoubtedly a really great friend and it was hard to tell him.

Being friends with someone for almost your whole life always makes goodbyes hard, especially when the goodbye is for something as extreme as moving into another country. If we'd only moved to another state, it would have been fine because then I could travel easily back to Kansas and stay with him whenever I wanted, but it was going to be hard in Britain. However like I explained to him, it was for the best because that's where my mum wanted to have her treatment.

In a way, though, moving to Britain wasn't that bad because I'd been there so many times that it almost seemed like a second home to me anyway, especially as we owned a house there. Of course, we never stayed it in all the time we visited because we didn't always have to go to the place that it was located, but the majority of the time we did and I loved the house.

No matter what I convinced myself, it was such a huge change and even a week after moving, I was still trying to cope with it. My bed here was more than just a mattress and the walls were still void of any decoration as I hadn't unpacked properly because I just hadn't been bothered to do it. I wasn't bugged by my parents to do it because they were unpacking other rooms and like back home, my room was my room and they didn't have a say in how it was.

It was the second Saturday of November and I was just lying in bed when there was a knock on my door before my mum poked her head in. "Can I come in?" she asked and I nodded, scooting over slightly so she could sit on the edge of the bed easily.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I just came to see how you're doing."

I ran a hand over my face. "I keep waking up and thinking that I'm still back home," I told her. "It feels so different to travelling because normally I'd have a countdown going, just so I know how long I had left to do everything I wanted, and this time I don't have one because we're not going back."

She frowned. "I wouldn't say we're not going back ever, just not going back until my treatment's over with. By then we might even want to stay, but if you ever decide to go back home, you know your father and I would be on the plane with you."

With a yawn, I nodded. My parents and I don't talk too often because most of the time, I'm doing my own thing and they're doing their work, but through the times that we do talk, I've learnt that because I'm their only child, they'd do everything they can for me, no matter my age and no matter the circumstance. It also meant that if I ever moved somewhere – even China – they'd follow after me. I highly doubt they'd follow me if I decided to join a cult but I can't say that they absolutely wouldn't because I can't speak for them.

My mum patted my leg and stood up. "Don't forget to do your school work today, Gabe."

I rolled my eyes as she walked out of the room. My school work consisted of me browsing the Internet for the majority of the time before knuckling down for half an hour and calling it a day afterwards. Luckily, with the move, I was able to convince my parents to allow me to go into homeschooling permanently and they agreed because of everything that was going on with my mum, plus the fact that I was so good with the move and having to leave everything I knew.

With a grunt, I threw my covers off of me and got out of bed. I might as well start the day seeing as I'd been lying in bed for over an hour without any sleep, plus my mum knew I was awake so she'd probably come back up in twenty minutes and pester me to stop being so lazy.

Shuffling over to the window, I stood there and watched as the rain hit the pavement outside. Even though it was November, I didn't expect it to have rained the entire time we've been here. I expected it to be cold, and it definitely was cold, but I expected there not to be constant rain, even if the rain wasn't particularly heavy. It wasn't like I went out much, though, except to the closest shop in order to get milk or sugar if we happened to run out, but it would be nice to just look out of the window and it be clear. I'd already cammed with Andy and shown him the rain each day so I was at least hoping that it would stop by this evening so I could stick the picture I wanted to on the outer side of the window and not have it get wet and ruined before he could even see it. It'd ruin the entire meaning behind it.

I moved away from the window and pulled the top that was lying on the floor on before leaving my room. My parents weren't downstairs but there was cold pizza in the microwave that I decided to eat like it was for my midday meal.

Just because I'd changed countries didn't mean my eating habits would change.